PDA

View Full Version : Creating New Races - Tutorial/Walk Through?

JohnD
February 6th, 2017, 20:56
Can someone direct me to an existing tutorial of how I could go about making custom races in 5e now that the functionality seems to be there. I'd hope that these races could work under the drag/drop functionality as well as the official versions if possible.

I'm essentially looking to make a number of races which would draw heavily on the Variant Human and Elf or Half-Elf standards, but based off of the particular world setting I use for flavor and potential starting equipment.

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2017, 21:02
There's no tutorial that I'm aware of. the best thing is to look at an existing race (particularly the variants in the SCAG if you have it) and see how it's done.

JohnD
February 6th, 2017, 21:18
So emulating the wording in what's being entered should be sufficient or do I need to steep myself in the arcane art of Par5e?

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2017, 22:28
Yes, emulating the wording should be sufficient. The bulk of the action is in the 'Other' tab for Backgrounds, classes etc. The first page is basically just blurb.

JohnD
February 7th, 2017, 03:10
I've made some progress. Still a few things that don't auto populate for some reason like languages.

Moon Wizard
February 7th, 2017, 07:12
If you use wording similar to existing races, then the languages should come in. If you post the text that's not being added along with which field in the race/class record you are adding it to, then I can look for examples that match. If it's not something that an existing race/class adds automatically, it may not be possible without modifying the code.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
February 8th, 2017, 14:21
If you use wording similar to existing races, then the languages should come in. If you post the text that's not being added along with which field in the race/class record you are adding it to, then I can look for examples that match. If it's not something that an existing race/class adds automatically, it may not be possible without modifying the code.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I have the same verbiage for languages but will take another look and post if I'm right and it still doesn't work.

Also note that my Skills entries don't result in a pop up window to select in "one of" situations, nor do they automatically populate proficiency in "gain proficiency in X" type entries either. Not huge because a few extra clicks gets it, but would be nice if consistency was maintained.

claedawg
February 9th, 2017, 23:16
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I have the same verbiage for languages but will take another look and post if I'm right and it still doesn't work.

Also note that my Skills entries don't result in a pop up window to select in "one of" situations, nor do they automatically populate proficiency in "gain proficiency in X" type entries either. Not huge because a few extra clicks gets it, but would be nice if consistency was maintained.

For Races it should be "You have proficiency in the Insight skill." without the quotes. Not sure if you can do a "choice of skills" for races or not. If you have multiple skills that are automatically gained just separate the skills with a comma.

For Classes it should be "Choose one from History, Riddle, Traditions, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception and Survival" to get the choice pop-up. If you have automatic skills and choices you can only do one in the Skills Proficiency. If you want to have both you need to do the choices in the Skills Proficiency and then do the automatic single skills through a Feature using the wording in the first example.

I think the backgrounds will not do the choice option. At least I wasn't able to get it to work.

If you have custom skill, like in my example, you can create new skills (with a description) and add them to the character sheet prior to adding the race, class or background. Otherwise, it will add the new skill without a description. But, If you later add a new skill through the Skill Sidebar Menu you can drag it to the character sheet and it will replace a skill with the same name on the character sheet (keeping the proficiency marker).