PDA

View Full Version : LFP Need 4-6 Players Wed/Thur Evening 7/8 PM UTC/GMT+1, D&D 5th, Long-Term Campaign

Rhuarc
February 6th, 2017, 14:46
FG License: Ultimate, Players only need the Demo

Game System: D&D 5th

Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1, this time zone probably means that European-centric players are most likely want to apply, but I’m happy to welcome any and all who are interested!

Day of week and time: Thursdays from 8 PM to 11 PM

Planned start date: Character Creation should hopefully start next week, the 16th.

Planned Duration & Frequency: 3 hour session, weekly

Term: Starting with a self-contained adventure, if everything works out we will transition to a long-term campaign.

Text or Voice: Voice

Voice software used: Discord, own Server

Roleplay & Combat mix: Expected is 60% roleplay, 40% combat; but will depend on the individual adventure the party chooses to pursue.

Number of Players in game & needed: No players yet, looking for 4-6, new and experienced players equally welcome.

Character starting level & equipment: Level 1, standard equipment for new characters

Character restrictions: I’m generally open to everything, including Unearthed Arcana stuff. But as I’m not familiar with every new class option that has been added via UA, I’ll have to take a look first and see if it’s alright with me.

Characters should of good or neutral alignment.

Details of your scenario:

As mentioned above I’d like to start with a self-contained adventure that will run for a few weeks and gives us some time to get used to each other and see if party chemistry works out for everyone. I’d prefer to use the ‘Lost Mine of Phandelver’ module for this; just because I’m very familiar with it and think it’s an excellent starting adventure; but if some of you have already played through it I have no problem switching to a different one to kick things off.

If there are still players left after the initial adventure, which hopefully will be the case, we can continue with a full-fledged campaign that will be set in the Forgotten Realms. We will also take some time to flesh-out the background story and personal history of your characters if so desired at this point. Generally I prefer to run sandbox/open world campaigns which provides the characters with several plot hooks at a time and let them decide what they want to go after. Depending on potential plot hooks imbedded in your characters background, I’ll try my best to include these in the ongoing story as well to make the campaign feel a bit more personal.

If no objections are raised from the players, I usually run my standard D&D campaigns as epic high fantasy ones. Meaning powerful characters, many magic items, and a continuation past level 20 into epic territory if everyone agrees. I have no issue with toning this down to a more moderate level if requested by my players.

As this is most likely going to be a sandbox campaign, the style will depend on what the players want it to be. I will always try to provide plot hooks to various dungeon crawls, research/investigation/exploration adventures and diplomacy/intrigue adventures to give you guys the freedom of choice in what appeals to your characters the most.

Details about myself and my expectations:

Hey there, my name is Martin and I’m 36 years of age. I started roleplaying back in 1992, switched to DMing AD&D in 1995 and pretty much stayed with D&D throughout all other editions until 5th. Here and there I dabbled in other systems (namely The Dark Eye, CoC, Pathfinder, Ars Magica), but my favorite was, is and probably always will be D&D. As you can see I have more than 20 years of experience running a game and hope that the things I have learned over the years will show in this new campaign as well. In the end my goal is to provide an entertaining evening for everyone involved, where you can relax and enjoy a few hours away from RL; letting your character explore a living and breathing fantasy world.

Overall I pride myself on being someone you can always talk to. If there is some kind of issue or problem, you can, and probably should, let me know about it. There are only very few things that can’t be solved by having an honest and open dialogue. Playing any kind of roleplaying game together is all about having a nice time, so I expect all of my players to behave accordingly. Be respectful and open-minded when dealing with your fellow players, and if there is a problem then let’s talk about it.

Most of the time I will directly impersonate a NPC that talks to you; meaning I’ll give many of them a distinct voice. I certainly don’t expect you to do the same, but I know this might turn away some of you, so I thought I better mention this part of my game.

I thoroughly enjoy a high-powered fantasy game, but this doesn’t mean I want any min/max-ers in my group, or players who only enjoy blasting things in combat. As you can see from my ‘Roleplay/Combat’ ratio given above, my campaigns focus more on the former than on the latter, so you should enjoy social encounters and in-party chatter as well.

The last thing to mention is that I usually tend to follow the ‘rule of cool’. This means if a PC wants to do something that is not explicitly covered by the rules but would result in a ‘cool moment’ and is something that could be argued for and isn’t completely far-fetched, I often let the character do this thing. So don’t be hesitant to ask if this or that might be possible, you might be surprised how often I might agree with it. But you should also be aware that major villains get the same treatment!

Things to look out for:

Ok, here comes the dicey part. There are two problems, a potential one and a definite one, that might keep you from joining my game:

The first and major one is this: As I have a rather new router, I currently have an IPv 6 connection which doesn’t mesh with FG at all [see here as well for the same issue on the FG wishlist (because of post rules I can't give you the complete link): fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=83911].

This means that you need another tool to help you connect to my server. My RL group and I have tried several things, and eventually settled on Evolve. This program is similar to Hamachi, equally free but less system-intrusive, and does the job adequately well. There are from time to time some issues with it, but it’s the best solution we have found to this day. You can download the 1.0 version here: https://www.evolvehq.com/download

I know that this is a major downside, but unfortunately I can’t help this fact and can only hope you might consider dealing with this nuisance in order to be part of my group and get many hours of enjoyment in return. Maybe the FG staff will at some point in the distant future offer support for Ipv6 as well, but I reckon this is yet a long time away from being implemented.

The second and minor thing is the following: As a German native, English is not my first language. This shouldn’t be much of a problem, as I read and hear English on a daily basis and are more or less fluent with it, but there is still a distinct difference between a brief phone call in the office, and a 3-hour long game in which I have to do most of the talking. I’m confident that I will manage without too much trouble, but I thought it best to mention this fact beforehand. Give me a few sessions and I should be alright!

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2418

Puh, that was rather lengthy and I apologize for the wall of text; hope it didn’t scare away anyone. If you are still interested in giving this a shot, despite my two concerns that I listed above, then please post here, send me a PM, or chat me up on the Discord server (under the Alias 'DMR'. Your age, experience with Fantasy Grounds, roleplaying games in general and 5th edition specifically would be helpful for me, as well as any other details you want to share (type of character you want to play, type of campaign you prefer, etc.)

I guess that’s it! If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask me. Hope to hear from you!

Dwarf Ulf
February 7th, 2017, 03:55
I'da love to join this stuff, man. I'm free on Thursdays too.

Outcast 2-4
February 7th, 2017, 04:46
I'd be interested in participating but I only have Wednesdays free. I will send you a PM as well.

Rhuarc
February 7th, 2017, 07:55
Thanks a lot for the replies, guys! So far I've got two more responses from interested players via Discord, one for Thursdays and one who could at that day as well, but prefers Wednesdays. So more or less and even split right now, what makes finding a final date a bit difficult at the moment.

I will wait probably until the end of the week and advertise this thread in the LFG section on Discord as well over the next days and see where we are at.

I'll keep you updated here!

lucky_mike
February 7th, 2017, 08:09
I'm interested in the game if you still have some spots. I've sent you some PM's with my info

ShinEnma
February 7th, 2017, 17:06
If your still looking for players im interested in joining. im in Central time, ive played DND 5e on both fantasy grounds and real life.

Rhuarc
February 8th, 2017, 07:45
If your still looking for players im interested in joining. im in Central time, ive played DND 5e on both fantasy grounds and real life.

Hey there,

which day of the two I offered would you prefer? Wed or Thur? Anyway, thanks for the interest!

I still have to wait for a few replies from other players, but it looks very promising that this will happen. Will give an update about the final date as soon as possible.

ShinEnma
February 8th, 2017, 17:11
Hey there,

which day of the two I offered would you prefer? Wed or Thur? Anyway, thanks for the interest!

I still have to wait for a few replies from other players, but it looks very promising that this will happen. Will give an update about the final date as soon as possible.

im interested in a Wed games.

Gruber
February 8th, 2017, 17:12
I would be interested to play on Wed but only chat/text game is possible for me. I have experience in almost all D&D editions as well as FG. Am also towards a bit more RP than combat. Would play any role depending on the setting. So, I guess maybe not this time but if you decide on making a chat game let me know :)

Stridshorn
February 8th, 2017, 18:33
I am very interested in joining if you still have room for more!
I have played 3.5 in the past, but currently I am reading up on 5th ed so I won't be a drag :)

D564
February 8th, 2017, 23:11
i would love to play with ya. But im EST so might not be home from work that early :(

Helvan Raptyr
February 9th, 2017, 07:09
I would be interested to take part in this :)

Rhuarc
February 9th, 2017, 07:39
I would be interested to play on Wed but only chat/text game is possible for me. I have experience in almost all D&D editions as well as FG. Am also towards a bit more RP than combat. Would play any role depending on the setting. So, I guess maybe not this time but if you decide on making a chat game let me know :)

Hey Gruber,

unfortunately for you I have no plans to change this game to a chat-only, but thanks nevertheless for the interest and wish you good luck in finding another game that will suit you!

i would love to play with ya. But im EST so might not be home from work that early :(

Hey D564,

sorry to hear that, but time zone differences throw a wrench in many of my plans, too. Sadly a fact we have to deal with, thanks anyway for the interest!

I would be interested to take part in this :)

Hey Helvan,

can you give me some more details, please? Personal experience with FG and D&D as well as your preferred day? You can send a PM if you want to discuss these points.

R4GN4R0K
February 9th, 2017, 11:12
I'm interested in the game. I'll send you a message on Discord as well, and we can talk more there. If I don't make it in, I hope the game goes well!

andy_bell101
February 9th, 2017, 18:52
Hi all,

I'm new to FG but I've been playing 5th edition DnD for about 6 months now. I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. The focus on roleplay sounds great for me. The games I've played in have had more of a combat focus whereas I'm more interested in trying to play my character. Forewarning on this that although I enjoy it I'm still learning to get into character so if that's a problem you might be better off with someone else. Aside that I'm 24 living in the UK, Wednesday and Thursday both work for me but Thursday would be preferable.

Cheers,

Andy

Rhuarc
February 10th, 2017, 08:30
I now have enough interested players for both days and will make a decision which one to choose over the weekend. Sunday at the latest everyone who posted here, sent me a PM or contacted me via Discord will get a message from me.

Thanks again everyone!

Dwarf Ulf
February 14th, 2017, 09:25
Alright, sweet. Would love to see what will happen.

Rhuarc
February 15th, 2017, 19:19
We could use another player for the initial adventure 'Lost Mine of Phandelver'. Thursday evening 6 PM GMT+0 (or 7 PM GMT+0 if your country currently uses Daylight Savings Time as well). Tomorrow we start with character creation, so you haven't missed anything yet! Send me a PM or ping me in Discord (#DMR) with some basic information about yourself and experience with FG and D&D 5th if you are interested.

Please make sure to read the first post before applying, especially the 'what to look out for' part at the bottom!

Thanks!

morbop
February 16th, 2017, 12:03
Good day! I'd like to join your campaign, if you still have room.

I'm 30 years old, played DnD since 2nd Edition, skipping 4th. Available almost every day.
Prefer to play melee characters for now, to study FG and 5th edition.

balen
February 16th, 2017, 20:59
I'm interested as well, available mon, tues, wed evenings. I'll play any role needed.

Rhuarc
May 8th, 2017, 13:20
Our group could use one more player to assure that we have enough people available each Thursday to start playing. Unfortunately there are some work-related problems with attendence for some players every now and then which make it difficult to get a full group together.

The party has finished their initial starting adventure and the characters are level 3 now. We are just about to start a new campaign this week, so joining soon would fit very well into the ongoing story.

The current classes are: Barbarian, Monk, Druid, Ranger, and Warlock.

Please read through the first post of this thread and if you are interested let me know via PM here, or ping me in Discord at #DMR.

Thanks!

SilverEagle82
May 10th, 2017, 00:29
looks interesting i am game if there is room the game time would be at 12pm pst which is good for me in gaming time

Rhuarc
May 14th, 2017, 13:28
We have found one player, but after some work-related timing issues another player had to drop out. So we are still looking for a new addition to our group! Each Thursday 8 PM GMT+1, 3 hour sessions, GM has Ultimate.

The party has finished their initial starting adventure and the characters are level 3 now. We are just about to start a new story-arc this week, so joining soon would fit very well into the ongoing narrative.

Send me a PM here or contact me via Discord (#DMR 8621) if you are interested!

Stubbsie
May 14th, 2017, 15:17
If there is any room left I would be interested in joining i'm free both day's sounds like it would be a lot of fun I LOVE high fantasy. I love the idea of your 'rule of cool' sounds to be a lot of fun only thing to note i'm new to fantasy grounds so will take a bit of learning!

woodsman
May 15th, 2017, 17:22
image for dwarf18974