PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle Expenses

sotik
February 6th, 2017, 08:41
I am going to be hosting my first game today as a DM. I am looking to create a real world feel by including things such as random encounters while traveling, encumberance, eating and drinking each day, and lifestyle expenses.

However I am really confused as how to incorporate lifestyle expenses into the game. If it something I should have the players pay every 30 in game days as a tax, or is it something I should take notice of during their transactions (such as how much they pay for a inn room, how much they spend on food etc) and take into account when I think about how their lifestyles effect them? I plan to have it as a party system instead of per PC system as to make it easier for my players to keep track of and not make it to mundane.

damned
February 6th, 2017, 09:59
Hi sotik I would probably discuss this with the players first and ask them their thoughts. I think most groups prefer to leave the mundane out of their sessions and concentrate on the drama, action and intrigue. If you do go down this route Ive seen a fantasy menu generator - Id perhaps use something like that in each place the party travels to and have them choose their meals from the menu - adding a little fun to the experience. You might find one player always takes the absolute cheapest item on the menu - you might place something unsavoury in one of her meals one night, another might always gravitate to the most expensive - have her targeted by thieves or someone pitching a crazy business idea.

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2017, 11:32
You should also check out some of Dulux Oz's extensions (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions&p=242586&viewfull=1#post242586) if you want that kind of realism in your games.

Nickademus
February 6th, 2017, 14:15
Lifestyle expenses are for games that gloss over the realism of buying food and paying for boarding. If you are 'looking to create a real world feel' then ignore lifestyle expenses.