PDA

View Full Version : After This?

DMdomination
February 4th, 2017, 04:34
Hey guys,

I'm running a campaign (5e) and I wanted to ask for a little advice.

I am running Legacy of the Crystal Shard (levels 1 to 3 (or 4)) and i'm kinda of planning ahead but i'm curious, what is a good adventure to roll right into after this with the same characters. I am not sure what works for a smooth transition and meets the level requirements. Does anyone have any experience with this and would care to share some advice?

DmDomination

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2017, 09:02
I don't think there is anything which smoothly transitions from this one. Most of the official adventures start characters at level 1 with some having the option of starting at level 5. There are a few small adventures in the store for 5e some of which might be suitable to add a level to your characters and you could then have a look at Curse of Strahd, Out of the Abyss, or Storm King's Thunder all of which can be started at level 4-5.

damned
February 4th, 2017, 12:38
What about one of the Legendary Games APs?

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2017, 12:42
Ah, yes damned you could indeed use that as a starting point for the Legendary Planet series.

DMdomination
February 4th, 2017, 19:28
I have looked at the legendary planet series but I have been leary due to concerns about how technology may render existing characters pointless. Does anyone have any experience with the legendary planet setting who could answer a few questions?

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2017, 19:45
PotA actually starts at something like 3rd or 4th, but has some entry stuff in case characters are starting at 1st. My party went from LMoP to PotA, which fits really nicely. But not familiar with LoCS, but...

JohnD
February 4th, 2017, 19:49
SKT actually has a section talking about starting it with characters from other modules, doesn't it?

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2017, 20:05
SKT actually has a section talking about starting it with characters from other modules, doesn't it?

Yes, but not from Legacy. I think Legacy was originally written for D&D Next - but I could be wrong on that.

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2017, 20:09
I have looked at the legendary planet series but I have been leary due to concerns about how technology may render existing characters pointless. Does anyone have any experience with the legendary planet setting who could answer a few questions?

No. It doesn't. You can play some new races if you want but the whole point of the series is that the characters start off wherever they are, in whatever setting they are in and 'find' themselves somewhere else. It's all about them finding a way back. Whilst they can come across new 'technology' it's basically just new magic items, and a few new weapons. Ultimately though it's written for standard 5e characters. There's wide scope for quite a bit of RP elements since the characters are basically strangers in the lands they find themselves in.

SirGraystone
February 4th, 2017, 20:34
I havent play Legacy of the Crystal Shard either, but i assume it's in Icewind dale. Since you are already in the north, you could start Storm King's Thunder on chapter 2 in Bryn Shander.

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2017, 20:41
I havent play Legacy of the Crystal Shard either, but i assume it's in Icewind dale. Since you are already in the north, you could start Storm King's Thunder on chapter 2 in Bryn Shander.

You could but there is a level gap. LotCS really only takes the PCs to about level 3 whereas you'd want to be at least level 5 before Bryn Shander. You could fill in a couple of levels yourself mind you since there is quite a bit of campaign material in LotCS.

Myrdin Potter
February 4th, 2017, 23:58
PoTA and SKT have plenty of small encounters that can level you from 3 to about the 5 where the main paths take over. My main party started PoTA at 4th level and had no real issues.

OotA can work at 3rd as well. Just start it as if the players were 1st level and tweak a little. They will have an easier time for a while but probably will not have leveled to 4 by the time the 3rd level material kicks in.

DMdomination
February 5th, 2017, 04:19
Thank you all for the tips and input. I'm more comfortable with the idea of the Legendary Planet series now. I plan to look into all the options you guys have given as suggestions. Thanks again.