PDA

View Full Version : First time FG 5e DM running first session...have a small checklist of questions

Ptolemy
February 3rd, 2017, 03:29
Hi all,

First time FG DM here and I'm running my first session tomorrow. Its DnD 5e. I had a few questions about some of the logistics of using Fantasy Grounds that I was hoping I could get some quick answers to. Sorry if this is all in an FAQ somewhere, but i thought if a kind soul out there could just rattle off some quick yes/no answers that would be perfect.

In terms of setup, I'm running the Storm King's Thunder Module. I have also purchased the PHB Deluxe, Volos Guide and Elemental Evil Players companion.

1) What should I make available for the players to open, module wise? PHB, Volos and EEPC seem obvious. What about SRD Monsters and STK module itself? If they don't open these modules on their ends, will they be able to use/see the assets? ie-will they see the STK tokens like I see them or if they don't open it? How does this work exactly. I don't want the PCs to be able to look at the story/npc and other DM intended elements from STK but I want them to have the monster tokens and such.

2) Is there any general advice about getting players to log on in a way that doesn't cause FG to lock up temporarily while the players open the stuff from my end. It seems that when one of them opens a module, it will cause the FG system to nearly crash. I'm afraid if all five do it at once, it will crash. Sound concern, or not to worry?

3) Is there a way to optimize or otherwise edit assets from a bought product like STK? If I wanted to edit one of the maps on Photoshop for instance...short of screen capping it and then doing it that way...is there any way to access the actual png image or is it hidden/read only.

Thanks for the help. Any general advice that I may not be aware of is certainly appreciated.

damned
February 3rd, 2017, 04:06
Hey Ptolemy and welcome.

Only share Player Resources to Players.
So Share the PHB.
Only share the EEPC and Volos if you are ready for them to use options form those books. If you are not - dont share them just now.
Dont share Basic or SRD modules as you are sharing the PHB.

Never share Adventures.
Never share DMG or MM.

2. Have them log in an hour early or even a day early just to get the initial sync done. It has to be done and it will slow everything right down. If you share HB, Volo and EEPC and you have 5 players log in for the first time together... you will be talking basketball for the first hour.

3. No. You cannot edit the assets within these. They are locked up.

4. Dont try and do everything. Dnt try and use every feature you ever read/saw/dreamt. Start small. And learn the golden rule - add PCs and NPCs to teh Combat Tracker and from the Combat Tracker to the map. SKT encounters will all do this automatically for you but make sure you do the players tokens too...

5. Have fun.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2017, 12:50
Echoing what damned has said and in addition.

The players don't need the monster tokens - only the DM does and the players will see the token when the monster is placed on the map.
Only share the players guide from Volo - not the main volume since that is DM material only. And only share that particular player's guide if you want your players to be able to play with some of the weirder races that are available from that volume. I'd recommend that you don't until you've played a few sessions with just what's in the PHB.
As damned says keep it simple until you and your players find their feet.

Ptolemy
February 4th, 2017, 16:30
Excellent. I'll do exactly as advised. Thanks again!