PDA

View Full Version : Meanders 2: Brave New Worlds (400+ New Terrains)

gtw2017
February 3rd, 2017, 02:12
Hello - just over 2 weeks away from launch I felt you guys might like to see how the campaign is shaping up, what you can expect, and the avalanche of features involved. Here is a preview of the campaign that is approximately 95% completed with just some art of the core designs left be be added. You may also be pleased to hear that I have committed to over 400 new designs, making Meanders 2 almost seven times larger.

Kind Regards,
Kris

Visit the Meanders 2 Campaign Preview due to launch Feb 18th on Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/779510192?token=4ea1b14e)

gtw2017
February 8th, 2017, 09:01
Meanders 2 Campaign Launch moved up to Feb 10th. Hope to see you there :)

Myrdin Potter
February 11th, 2017, 01:53
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-synchable-terrain-400-new-designs

Kris' new Kickstarter is up today and more maps than ever before. This are high quality wilderness maps and he includes ones formatted for use in VTT like Fantasy Grounds.

I recommend checking it out.

He also thanks us here at the forums that have helped him to make his maps VTT friendly (right at the bottom of the campaign).

Zhern
February 11th, 2017, 18:51
I blame you, Myrdin, for feeding my Kickstarter habit! Actually, when I looked at the maps, I was drawn in. Nice VTT maps being offered along with the regular dpi maps.

Myrdin Potter
February 11th, 2017, 18:54
Take a look at the sample linked in the campaign. I have all the content from the first one and they are really nice. My players are wowed by them.

Trenloe
February 11th, 2017, 19:03
Yeah, Meanders 1 are very nice maps. Seen in FG in this video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6oOdW6SsMwsOG9TdHczb0pHZ2c

gtw2017
February 13th, 2017, 13:00
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-synchable-terrain-400-new-designs

Kris' new Kickstarter is up today and more maps than ever before. This are high quality wilderness maps and he includes ones formatted for use in VTT like Fantasy Grounds.

I recommend checking it out.

He also thanks us here at the forums that have helped him to make his maps VTT friendly (right at the bottom of the campaign).

Hi :) And I'll thank you all again, I appreciate all of you assisting me to format them properly so that I can supply you with exactly what you need - and for coming back to help fund Meanders 2. I really enjoy making them and this time I'm trying to do a ton of those suggested by previous backers, yourselves included. Even so, I have hundreds of idea concepts for an M3 if its gets that far - not to mention the mystery stretch goals for this campaign. Well, back to it :) I'm 3 into the new core jungle set and am currently working on a wide bend in the muddy river with rapids and stone cliffs either side: perfect for a hurried escape down the river while spear-chucking indigenous pygmies hurl abuse ... and spears ;)

Kind Regards,
Kris

gtw2017
February 25th, 2017, 17:07
So, my Meanders 2 campaign is now offering the 60 Meander 1 maps free + the 101 Gimp Guide if you pledge $10 or more - and coupled with the core pledge, you can now get 108 maps for $45. 3 new themes have been added as well.

LordEntrails
February 26th, 2017, 03:58
I couldn't find id, but I suspect you have the info somewhere. What's the license that we get? Specifically, can they be used as part of a commercial project or are they for personal use only?

gtw2017
February 26th, 2017, 08:10
I couldn't find id, but I suspect you have the info somewhere. What's the license that we get? Specifically, can they be used as part of a commercial project or are they for personal use only?

Hi LordEntrails - I've been asked this before and in this campaign, so I've added a reply to the FAQ which reads as follows - and sorry for the late reply -

"Do you offer Commercial Use of Meanders?
I love RPG and want to see it grow - but I also understand the need to have some control over IP. To a limited degree, I don't mind if people promote my art by using in in their projects provided there is a mention of my company, Game Tile Warehouse (GTW) and you contact me first with a copy of the project for review. To define limited degree, I generally say I am OK with up to 4 maps in circulation in total by any given user. That doesn't mean 4 per project, but 4 per individual.

I am open to commercial usage on a case-by-case basis - I would need to see your project to make a decision on usage rights and decide whether you fall in the limited degree category or might require a contract for extended use in your projects. If you do want to use Meanders in a commercial product beyond the limited degree of 4 maps, please contact me.

However, there is no restriction on Maps that you make yourself using my Constructor Pack or base textures. But please mention GTW in the credits.

There is no restriction on personal use either: you can print, play, modify the maps as needed, and share, or put into practice at home or in public. Enjoy, evolve and please send me samples so I can see! And if people ask, kindly tell them about me and GTW."

Bidmaron
February 26th, 2017, 13:18
Hi LordEntrails - I've been asked this before and in this campaign, so I've added a reply to the FAQ which reads as follows - and sorry for the late reply -

"Do you offer Commercial Use of Meanders?

However, there is no restriction on Maps that you make yourself using my Constructor Pack or base textures. But please mention GTW in the credits.

I followed you up to that point. What were the restrictions in the previous two paragraphs about if there are no restrictions?

Kris, I did your coins project and loved it. I am interested in your meanders, but I have read your site twice and still don't get it. Maybe it's because I didn't do meanders the first? Anyone, I don't understand what are the different packs and what is an add-on?

LordEntrails
February 26th, 2017, 19:52
Ok, thanks. I think I get it. And would never have a problem crediting you if I end up using things or getting your permission etc.

p.s. <2.5 hours isn't a late reply *G*

gtw2017
February 26th, 2017, 20:14
I followed you up to that point. What were the restrictions in the previous two paragraphs about if there are no restrictions?

Kris, I did your coins project and loved it. I am interested in your meanders, but I have read your site twice and still don't get it. Maybe it's because I didn't do meanders the first? Anyone, I don't understand what are the different packs and what is an add-on?

Oh dear. I've tried and tried to retool it so it makes more sense but I don't understand what I am doing so wrong that it is still not clear. I'll keep trying though, and in response to your question I wrote another FAQ - and I hope this helps. I may have initially assumed backers had more familiarity with Kickstarter than some actually do - whereas people new to it, might be confused by the terms I used. So hopefully this helps:

An Add-on is how Kickstarter refers to an extra that a backers pays more for. When you pledge, you pledge for a specific reward, i.e. 48 of my maps. But you can then choose extra's to add to your reward by looking at my list of Add-ons. Let's have a look at a few sample pledges.

(Sample 1) Bill.

Bill, backed my last campaign and got himself 60 of my Meander 1 Maps. He really liked the Jungle maps but there were only four jungle maps in that set. Now he has a campaign coming up where he needs wider paths and a road/river in the Jungle. He sees Meanders 2 and he knows that any map he buys from Meanders 2 is designed to fit with Meanders 1 - so here is his chance to make his collection of seamless maps bigger. Bill only wants the extra Jungle Maps so he looks through the pledges and see's that there is a $10 pledge that allows him to get an extra map for each of his core terrains as a bonus and then he can Add-on another $10 to his pledge to buy add-on [42b] to get the core 12 Jungle Maps. So Bill pledges for the $10 Support/Sample Meanders Pack then manually adds an extra $10 to his pledge giving him a total of $20 and 18 maps.

Bill spent more than $10 - and so he automatically applies for the free bonus of all 60 of the Meanders 1 maps. He already has them so it doesn't mean much to him - but with the new core maps he can add a wide river set-up to his existing Jungle maps and this is perfect for his campaign.

But then Bill see's that there is a new set of specialized maps available in Meanders 2.
With his Meanders 1 set, when he wanted to go from jungle to snow, the paths on the boards would line up side-by-side but the snow map and jungle map side by side clashed terribly. If only there was a map that gradually went from Jungle to Snow.
Bill also wished there was a way to lead his adventurers more gradually into the jungle, maybe have them drive up to the docks of a village on a boat and then depart into the steamy jungle. And that there simply more of the Jungle terrain, with maybe a giant waterfall or a threshing pool of pirahna to drop his adventurers off or into.
When Bill sees Meanders 2, he realizes that all of this is now possible and backs it. He sees that the M2 campaign is offering an 'EBB Pack' with Edgers, Blenders and Bridgers (EBB) with maps that do all of the above for him. So he decides to pledge for add-on [2b] as well and adds another $10 to his pledge giving him a total of $30. Now his jungle set is huge. He has the Core set of 12, the EBB set of 8 + the 4 free maps he got with his pledge: so he will be able to use one of the Blenders from the EBB pack to now lead gradually into the forest, desert or snow, and he can make use of the wide rivers with rapids and cliffs and muddy water - perfect!

(Sample 2) Sandra.

Sandra is looking for a lot of new maps. She has a quest coming up that requires Snow, Mountains and Forest with a Forest Road and Inn and discovers Meanders 2. She see's the M2 Dual Expansion Pledge for $25 offers her 24 new maps. 12 in one core terrain type and 12 in another. Perfect, she needs Forest and Snow and the Forest Core offers a nice wide road and even has a road-side building she can use for her Inn. So she pledges $25 and gets the 24 maps. But by pledging more than $10 she automatically qualifies for a free mega-pack of all 60 Meander 1 maps too! Now she has 84! She sees that meanders are designed to fit with one another, so her new Meander 2 Forest Core Roads will be able to be attached to the Meander 1 maps with no problem. 84 maps gives her a huge amount of options but she still really needs mountains. Sandra has a look at the Add-ons list and sees [5a] : a Mountain pack that will give her mountains that will fit the four core terrain types. She has a look at the art samples is pleased and satisfied those will work and adds another $10 manually to her pledge making it $35. Then Sandra sees that some of the add-ons allow her to get new layers for her Meanders map that will enable her to add entrances to the underground - and then even a whole new set of layers for the underground itself! She's pretty excited about this - she already has 84 maps but these extra add-ons will help her to depict the underground adventure she was planning after her PC's left the forest. Her entrance underground is set in the Wilderness in a mine, so she manually adds $10 for add-on [2a] to get the Entrances underground layers and underground tunnels/rooms layer. This takes her pledge up to $45. But wait! Now she's spied the Elemental Planes sets of maps. She really wants them too so she adds another $40 to her pledge which takes her up to $85. Sandra now sees that by pledging more than $50 she qualifies for any stretchgoals that are reached as well. She now has 60 Meander 1 maps, 12 Core Jungle maps, 12 Core Forest maps, 8 Mountain maps, 32 Elemental Plane maps (which equals 124 maps!)- is eligible for free maps if they are unlocked through stretch-goals - and also has underground layers for All of those maps too. Sandra is pretty happy.

(Sample 3) Eddie.

Eddie backed the first Meanders campaign and got the 60 maps offered with it. Now he sees Meanders 2 is here and that it is offering over 400+ new maps. Eddie is excited because he knows that any Meanders 2 map will be compatible with any Meanders 1 map and he wants more of them for his collection. Eddie is familiar with the add-on system and knows that for every add-on listed, he needs to add $10 to his pledge if he wants it. Eddie goes through the selection of pledges and see that if he spends over $10 he gets all the Meander 1 maps, but that doesn't mean much to him as he already has them - but if he spends over $50 he becomes eligible for the Stretch-Goals and by spending over $120 he also gets the free World Serpent Inn Meanders. He selects the M2 Core Expansion with bonus World Serpent Inn (WSI) that comes with 9 free Add-ons and pays $135. Later on though, Eddie goes through the list of add-ons and decides that he wants 9 extra Add-ons such as the Zombie Sets. So he adds $90 to his pledge manually, pledging a total of $225 and getting a crazy amount of maps for his money.

- Some pledge levels give you a set number of free add-ons, it might be 3, 6 or 24 - or higher - and these allow you to select that number of extra free add-ons to get as a reward.
If you don't have a pledge that gives you free add-ons because you chose the $10 pledge so you could get very specific sets - simply look at the list of add-ons and count how many you want. Times that number by 10 and that's how much you need to add to your pledge. So if you want 4 add-ons, i.e. all of the Elemental Planes maps, thats 4 add-ons, times by ten, is $40.
Kickstarter will allow you to Manage your Pledge and you can change how much you pledge by clicking on your total and typing the new total in.

Hope this helps Bidmaron?

gtw2017
February 26th, 2017, 20:16

There are no restrictions on maps that you make yourself using my Meanders Constructor Pack PNG vectors and textures. Those are yours to do with as you like - so long as you mention GTW somewhere as helping with the art.

The other restrictions apply to using my maps as-is in any project. You can use up to four, if you ask first, show me the project and credit me, but any more than 4 and I need to be consulted so I can decide - or ask you to sign a contract for more usage.

gtw2017
February 26th, 2017, 20:17
Cool, thanks :) I hope that day comes.

gtw2017
February 26th, 2017, 20:18
Ok, thanks. I think I get it. And would never have a problem crediting you if I end up using things or getting your permission etc.

p.s. <2.5 hours isn't a late reply *G*

Cool, thanks I hope that day comes.

Bidmaron
February 27th, 2017, 01:36
There are no restrictions on maps that you make yourself using my Meanders Constructor Pack PNG vectors and textures. Those are yours to do with as you like - so long as you mention GTW somewhere as helping with the art.

What are these? (Meanders Constructor Pack PNG vectors and textures?

This really didn't get me there, Kris.

OK, so what are all of the base terrains? A base terrain is not a bridge or an edger, so what are those? An add-on is an additional base terrain I think. But what do you call the bridgers and edgers?

I am almost as confused as I was before your three examples.

Somewhere, I think you need to clearly list what are the base terrain packs and, if an add-on can be something besides an additional terrain pack, just what your options are there. (edgers and bridgers, e.g.?)

gtw2017
February 27th, 2017, 02:44
What are these? (Meanders Constructor Pack PNG vectors and textures?

This really didn't get me there, Kris.

OK, so what are all of the base terrains? A base terrain is not a bridge or an edger, so what are those? An add-on is an additional base terrain I think. But what do you call the bridgers and edgers?

I am almost as confused as I was before your three examples.

Somewhere, I think you need to clearly list what are the base terrain packs and, if an add-on can be something besides an additional terrain pack, just what your options are there. (edgers and bridgers, e.g.?)

Nevermind, I'll try again.

When I refer to 'core' terrain I mean one of four basic types: Forest, Jungle, Snow/Ice or Desert.

A Core Terrain pack in Meanders 2 is made up of 12 maps in one of those core terrain types, i.e. the Core Forest Terrain Pack is made up of 12 maps.

The Core Terrain is in the main, an expansion for the Core Terrain in Meanders 1. It supplies 12 Road or River sections that can be used on their own or with Meander 1's.

In addition you can pledge for extra add-ons such as the Edger, Bridger, Blender pack also called an EBB so that you can blend any core terrain into another core terrain neatly - add new scenes and sites to your layout (Bridger) - and provide convenient entrances and exits into your set-up as well (Edger). There are 8 maps in any EBB Add-on designed to compliment existing core terrain made up of 4 blenders, 2 edgers and 2 bridgers.

-

When I created Meanders 1, I only did a few types of terrain for each theme, i.e. four jungle maps. This was just the beginning - I wanted to expand every terrain so that you had a lot more options as to how you built your layout. So in Meanders 2 I have added three new map types that fulfil a specific terrain function.

An Edger simply acts as a map that leads into the main terrain, it might be fields, or a forest edge, or a bridge - its essentially a nice starting or ending place for your adventurers to begin or end their Meander - edgers are designed to be placed to the left or right of another Meander.

A Blender is a stylish way to change between two terrains that don't match such as Jungle and Snow. It is a map the gradually changes from one terrain into another that you put between two contrasting terrains - so instead of just having a snow board next to a jungle board and the two terrains clashing - there is a gradual change of terrain from snow into jungle to make it both more believable, and less jarring to look at. Blenders are designed to placed at combination of top/bottom or left-right of another Meander.

A Bridger is a map that has a basic terrain feature on it such as a lake, or some nice scenery to break up the journey with interesting things to look at or interact with - these can be placed at any combination of top/bottom or left-right of another Meander. If you only have paths for your adventurers to wander around on - they might get bored, so Bridgers help to break up the landscape a bit, give you good places to put an encounter or plot twist. I.e. your adventurers wander through the forest and get to a lake - now you can depict that lake in the same style as the other meanders with the Lake Bridger for the Forest Set.

Each Core Terrain has its own unique Edgers, Bridgers and Blenders. There are 4 EBB add-ons to choose from - or you can get them all for $40.

gtw2017
February 27th, 2017, 02:44
A Meanders Constructor Pack is a set of base terrain textures supplied for every theme you pledge for. It comes with PNG vectors or pictures of trees, shrubs, buildings, bridges and other features that you see on a Meanders that you can use to build your own.

A vector is simply an object that has been placed on a transparent background so that it can be overlaid onto another object (in this case, a map). With vectors you can quickly repeat the placement of a tree for instance - and make a forest relatively quickly. All of this is explained in my 101 Gimp Guide, free when you pledge $10 or more.

LordEntrails
February 27th, 2017, 03:21
Those descriptions help me a lot. Thanks for taking the time to explain :)

gtw2017
February 27th, 2017, 03:45
Not at all - you're welcome. And now I have a better idea of what was confusing about the description in the campaign (or lack of) - I can make some changes.

Bidmaron
February 27th, 2017, 04:26
Kris, I hated to be a rock, but I think you presumed everyone knew things from meanders 1, and folks like me did not. I doubt I was the only one who was so confused by the lack of explanation on the kickstarter that they passed on it.

I think I finally get it. (or at least most of it -- I will e-mail you separately if I have any specific questions).

gtw2017
February 27th, 2017, 05:26
Kris, I hated to be a rock, but I think you presumed everyone knew things from meanders 1, and folks like me did not. I doubt I was the only one who was so confused by the lack of explanation on the kickstarter that they passed on it.

I think I finally get it. (or at least most of it -- I will e-mail you separately if I have any specific questions).

No, don't worry about it mate, I apologise if the campaign or any parts of it were unclear and appreciate the opportunity to make it clearer - I am afterall seeking funding from investors so what is being invested in should be crystal evident - so your comments were welcome and have helped me to narrow down what I was missing and fix it. I've given the whole campaign a revision - if you could take a look and let me know how it reads, that would be awesome. And of course if you have any more questions, either post em here, PM or at the kickstarter - I don't mind.

Kind Regards,
Kris

Bidmaron
March 5th, 2017, 02:48
OK, Kris, the only thing holding me back is that I cannot afford all the add-ons I want, and there is no mention there how you can expand your collection after-the-fact when kickstart funds. I quick web search didn't reveal any way to buy the original meanders material either (so assuming might not be able to get meanders 2 stuff later?)

Myrdin Potter
March 5th, 2017, 06:00
In the previous ones he has run he has allowed paypal after the Kickstarter for additional add-ons.

I have a feeling that if this one gets some higher level of backers it will get more attention and more and more people will join.

gtw2017
March 5th, 2017, 15:01
OK, Kris, the only thing holding me back is that I cannot afford all the add-ons I want, and there is no mention there how you can expand your collection after-the-fact when kickstart funds. I quick web search didn't reveal any way to buy the original meanders material either (so assuming might not be able to get meanders 2 stuff later?)

Damn - I had a note about VIP treatment for all backers in the 'Skinny Bar' section - but I removed that to clean up the content organization and must not have included that note anywhere else - which was to the effect, that if you pledge on Meanders 2, you get a lifetime guarantee to pick up any Meanders 2 set for $10 anytime after the campaign. I want to take care of those that take care of me - that is why I created so many of the different tile sets that backers suggested for future expansions to Meanders 1. I've posted in the Meanders 1 page, though I didn't want to, to request assistance from my previous backers to contribute soon to help out - but as I said to someone else, if many of them have changed their mind about wanting those maps, there's nothing I can do. I've posted in 80 FB groups, 20 forums, took out adds on FB and a crowd fund site, advertised from my own website and google+ account and group, and my own FB groups, and have dozens of friends trying to help me out posting as well. Either this campaign is going to see a surge near the end, when it might be too late, or just in the nick of time, or it is going to fall short and I'll be back on the forklift. But if it does fund - then I will ensure that backers have ready access to new and continued Meanders as long as they want them.

I will re-add that VIP note.

Bidmaron
March 5th, 2017, 15:04
OK, I am making my pledge now, Kris.

gtw2017
March 5th, 2017, 15:06
In the previous ones he has run he has allowed paypal after the Kickstarter for additional add-ons.

I have a feeling that if this one gets some higher level of backers it will get more attention and more and more people will join.

As I said above, beyond what I have already done and am doing, I don't see any other ways to invite incentive. It was a bad time to launch, retrospectively, but I couldn't know that at the time - but I will stay with it because I believe in Meanders and myself. Offering paypal is a double-edged sword, as some people then simply wait until after the campaign has finished - but if there is not sufficient funding, then the campaign fails, and waiting only harms the chances of it being a reality. I'm offering 400+ maps in dozens of designs, willing to do a MapForge compatible set, and trying to create a sustainable supply of high-quality terrain that can be accessed inexpensively and regularly - it's a lot of work, I can do it, but I'm really not sure there is anything more I can do except wait and see.

Trenloe
March 5th, 2017, 15:41
Love your work Kris and have supported you on previous campaigns. It's easy to say this retrospectively, but my immediate impressions when I saw the KS launched were: 1) Wow! $10,000! Going to struggle to get that. 2) Holy Crap! There's so much stuff in there I'm lost, or would have to spend lots and lots of money to cover the stuff I want. I'm a Kickstarter junkie - especially for digital maps, and I don't like feeling I've missed out on anything - seeing I'd have to pledge $AU 750 for all of the maps kinda turned me off on my initial quick view. I know there's a sh1t ton of amazing stuff there

I've backed a lot of Kickstarters over the years, and the trend I've seen with niche independent publishers is that it's better to have a reachable target and then give more add-on options/additional products to pledge levels via stretch goals. I know you need to earn a crust and manage what you produce based off the income from the Kickstarter. And I know that you got a lot of great feedback from Meanders 1 and this probably prompted you to reach for the sky with this.

Hitting the target with a good base set of products helps you get funding. Then stretch goals are the spur for existing backers to spread the word - as the backers want more options available to them via stretch goals and intersperse additional paid add-ons with more "free" stuff for certain pledge levels. This way you're expanding the offering towards what your original goal was with the current KS, and existing backers feel they're getting more for their money as free stuff is added to pledges. The backers spread the work - people come along and see that the project is funded, can jump on board at a reasonable level to get a good bunch of meanders and feel they're getting a great deal with some free stretch goal products. The campaign then starts to gain momentum as backers spread the word, and existing pledges slowly increase as add-on stretch goals are met.

There's obviously no perfect formula and campaigns are very much testing the water for small independent publishers...

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. I'd love to see more of your lovely maps, so want to see you succeed. :)

gtw2017
March 5th, 2017, 16:12
Love your work Kris and have supported you on previous campaigns. It's easy to say this retrospectively, but my immediate impressions when I saw the KS launched were: 1) Wow! $10,000! Going to struggle to get that. 2) Holy Crap! There's so much stuff in there I'm lost, or would have to spend lots and lots of money to cover the stuff I want. I'm a Kickstarter junkie - especially for digital maps, and I don't like feeling I've missed out on anything - seeing I'd have to pledge $AU 750 for all of the maps kinda turned me off on my initial quick view. I know there's a sh1t ton of amazing stuff there

I've backed a lot of Kickstarters over the years, and the trend I've seen with niche independent publishers is that it's better to have a reachable target and then give more add-on options/additional products to pledge levels via stretch goals. I know you need to earn a crust and manage what you produce based off the income from the Kickstarter. And I know that you got a lot of great feedback from Meanders 1 and this probably prompted you to reach for the sky with this.

Hitting the target with a good base set of products helps you get funding. Then stretch goals are the spur for existing backers to spread the word - as the backers want more options available to them via stretch goals and intersperse additional paid add-ons with more "free" stuff for certain pledge levels. This way you're expanding the offering towards what your original goal was with the current KS, and existing backers feel they're getting more for their money as free stuff is added to pledges. The backers spread the work - people come along and see that the project is funded, can jump on board at a reasonable level to get a good bunch of meanders and feel they're getting a great deal with some free stretch goal products. The campaign then starts to gain momentum as backers spread the word, and existing pledges slowly increase as add-on stretch goals are met.

There's obviously no perfect formula and campaigns are very much testing the water for small independent publishers...

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. I'd love to see more of your lovely maps, so want to see you succeed. :)

"And I know that you got a lot of great feedback from Meanders 1 and this probably prompted you to reach for the sky with this." - It is, and given the amount of maps I intend to design I didn't think 10k was unreasonable - or reaching for the sky, I've lived off 11k a year after leaving my job as a forky to work on RPG stuff and deciding to try and change my luck with KS. As I said to someone else, that's what it costs to keep me at my desk for 6 full months so I can give my full concentration to them and have them all ready as quickly as possible without compromising quality. But what can I do if the initial demand has now waned - markets are like that, they move quickly and change. I am very grateful for the kind words, and ongoing support. All of you guys have been wonderful and very helpful to me and sharing my work around is much appreciated. I may have made a mistake, and just hope that I haven't.

gtw2017
March 6th, 2017, 07:40
20 days to go.

Almost 40% funded - new terrains and pledging bonuses added: + MapForge compatible tile sets now on offer.

Meanders 2: Brave New Worlds (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-synchable-terrain-400-new-designs)

Bidmaron
March 6th, 2017, 13:47
Wow, Kris thanks for the free stuff you added. I am even more delighted with my pledge!

Really worth a look, especially now folks. Not only can you get tileable maps but you also get the constructor elements yo make your own maps along with a great gimp tutorial to help the graphically challenged.

gtw2017
March 6th, 2017, 21:28
Wow, Kris thanks for the free stuff you added. I am even more delighted with my pledge!

Really worth a look, especially now folks. Not only can you get tileable maps but you also get the constructor elements yo make your own maps along with a great gimp tutorial to help the graphically challenged.

That's quite alright - I appreciate the advice you offered - thank you - it will improve the campaign considerably.

Atua
March 16th, 2017, 04:52
Bad luck about having to cancel this kickstarter, hopefully the refined version sees success.

gtw2017
March 16th, 2017, 06:02
Bad luck about having to cancel this kickstarter, hopefully the refined version sees success.

It is regretful but I will make it count. Here is a preview of the new campaign which will offer additional rewards for returning backers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/1626370358?token=c57af0ee

I am currently waiting for it to be approved and will re-launch soon with a more stream-lined, focused 10 day quick-fire campaign.

Bidmaron
March 16th, 2017, 15:12
I will sign up again. Good luck!

gtw2017
March 16th, 2017, 23:45
I will sign up again. Good luck!

Following a decision to cancel, re-work and relaunch the Meanders 2 campaign it is now up and live again. Thankfully KS approved the new campaign in record time - and it is jam-packed with loads of extras for anyone that returns to back or backed Meanders 1.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-new-terrain-maps-for-rpg
Hopefully this relaunch sees more success for all of us.
See you guys there :)
Kind Regards,
Kris

gtw2017
March 17th, 2017, 08:40
Following a decision to cancel, re-work and relaunch the Meanders 2 campaign it is now up and live again. Thankfully KS approved the new campaign in record time - and it is jam-packed with loads of extras for anyone that returns to back or backed Meanders 1.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-new-terrain-maps-for-rpg
Hopefully this relaunch sees more success for all of us.
See you guys there :)
Kind Regards,
Kris

Funded and just hit first stretch goal of 4 free mountain maps :)

Bidmaron
March 17th, 2017, 19:40
Congrats. I still have to get in there.....

gtw2017
March 21st, 2017, 01:49
Congrats. I still have to get in there.....

Thanks Bidmaron :) Pretty close to unlocking a third Stretch Goal of 4 new maps with Temples/Ruins. Mountains/Treetops unlocked. 700% funded.

Bidmaron
March 21st, 2017, 03:51
I did get in there and back it. This looks great!

Myrdin Potter
March 22nd, 2017, 22:45
Value gets even better with each stretch goal hit.

gtw2017
March 23rd, 2017, 00:53
Value gets even better with each stretch goal hit.

Almost 900% funded, free maps sets of 4 Mountains, 4 Treetops, 4 Temples/Ruins now unlocked - more Stretch Goals added. 3 days to go. Dozens of new art samples added to updates. $3 World Meander Map option available. Commercial Licenses sold out.

gtw2017
March 23rd, 2017, 02:18
Felt it was time - now visitors to my website will get directed here from my RPG links page. Thanks guys! FG rocks.

https://gametilewarehouse.wixsite.com/rpgtilesupply/rpg-links

Black Hammer
March 23rd, 2017, 19:30
I just backed it, against my better judgment. You check all of the boxes I look for on Kickstater: previously released products, clear and specific examples of what you are doing, and most of all, a very realistic scope. I don't trust anybody to reinvent the wheel on my investment dollar, but a set of decent looking maps is entirely within the realm of possibility.

Bidmaron
March 23rd, 2017, 22:43
Hammer, you won't regret it. I backed his coin (fantasy coin images) project and was delighted with his work on it.

gtw2017
March 24th, 2017, 04:12
I just backed it, against my better judgment. You check all of the boxes I look for on Kickstater: previously released products, clear and specific examples of what you are doing, and most of all, a very realistic scope. I don't trust anybody to reinvent the wheel on my investment dollar, but a set of decent looking maps is entirely within the realm of possibility.

Thanks Black Hammer :) This isn't my first rodeo and I've delivered in full on four previous ones and 92% on my Digital Coin Forge. The 8% is indefinitely in limbo until those who purchased a certain reward have finalized their own individual coin designs and ordered the physical box - but apart from that, I've delivered each and every time, on or before time, and in projects larger than this one. I don't think its a re-invention of the wheel - but it takes an existing concept of matching tiles but gives it a twist so the tiles you match are huge maps. Thanks for taking a chance on me, now I better get back to making more maps.

@Bidmaron thanks for the kudos and vouching for my credentials. I may have to follow-up your suggestion for that other coin forge variant if I have time this year.

gtw2017
March 25th, 2017, 14:22
Meanders 2 Fantasy Terrain Campaign: is ending soon on Kickstarter. Core Jungle/Forest/Snow/Desert Maps with Roads and Rivers. Get 124 giant interchangeable RPG maps and a dozen themes for $25. Vector and map pack for $45. Supercore Set with maps, vectors and 32 extra maps for $75. 1200% funded, nearing a new Stretch Goal. Hi-Res PDF/PNG and Low-Res for Roll20/Fantasygrounds and other VTT. Just 32 hours to go. 4 new maps for every $500 over 5k.

Trenloe
March 25th, 2017, 15:24
So pleased to see the reorganised campaign go well Kris. Now over 100 backers! Nice one. :)

Myrdin Potter
March 26th, 2017, 05:19
115 backers and counting.

:-)

Myrdin Potter
March 26th, 2017, 23:03
Less than 30 minutes now and 121 backers.

gtw2017
March 27th, 2017, 01:35
It's over for now. More than 1400% funded, 2 personal records broken for most backers and most funding, almost 200 maps and a life-changer of a campaign. Thank you all very much!

gtw2017
April 4th, 2017, 11:15
As some of you know, the original Meanders campaign was gigantic, but had to be broken down into much smaller sets - and believe it or not, the giant set of fantasy maps being completed was just one of approximately 5 sets which will include Sci-fi, Zombie, Urban/Post-Apocalyptic, Military and Superhero. The next wave will be Sci-fi...and if all stays on target, should be launching mid or near end of April.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/89d7c0_6b9454a019b84c7daea5c4b08c38cfdf~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_660,h_442,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/89d7c0_6b9454a019b84c7daea5c4b08c38cfdf~mv2.webp

Black Hammer
April 5th, 2017, 00:50
As some of you know, the original Meanders campaign was gigantic, but had to be broken down into much smaller sets - and believe it or not, the giant set of fantasy maps being completed was just one of approximately 5 sets which will include Sci-fi, Zombie, Urban/Post-Apocalyptic, Military and Superhero. The next wave will be Sci-fi...and if all stays on target, should be launching mid or near end of April.

Hopefully this last set will be out before the next Kickstarter. Liking what I've seen so far, but would be reluctant to have two kickstarters in the air at once.

gtw2017
April 5th, 2017, 06:23
Hopefully this last set will be out before the next Kickstarter. Liking what I've seen so far, but would be reluctant to have two kickstarters in the air at once.

Hi BH, absolutely, part of being professional is not biting off more than you can chew at a time and following through delivering to promise on one project before making new ones.

I am 75% complete with the Fantasy Wave now and will ensure everyone has their rewards 100% before launching the next wave. Trying to get as much done before funding clears as humanly possible :) At this point only Stretch Goals or VIP will need more time but will be delivered well before quoted date of May to backers.

Here is the confirmed listing of maps for the next wave:

Spaceport: 12 all-new maps
Imports and Processing
Quarantine/Customs/Detention
Hotel
Food Court 1
Warehouse
Skywalk
Entertainment District
Market District
Launching Pads
Offices
Bar
Pawn Broker

Galactic Supercruiser: 12 all-new maps
Bridge
Captains Deck
Tactical Planning and Strike Operations Centre (War Room)
Engine Room
Airlock
Armory
Gunners Booth
Cabins / Crew Quarters
Escape Pods / Stasis Pods
Cargo Hold
Medical
Comms Station

Moon Colony:
Mining Facility Exterior
Ore Processing/Sampling Interior
Droid Repairs
Bio-Organic Lab
Firing Range
Quarantine
Transporter
Science Labs
Shield Generator
Hangar / Rover Buggy
Refueling Depot
Hangar / Shuttle Bay

Alien Mothership:
Launching Bays
Queens Hive
Worker Nests
Portal Gates
Laboratory
Interrogation and Prison Complex
Reactor Core
Archives
Stasis Pods / Specimen Chrysalis
Transport Hub
Youngling Chambers
Armory

32 EXTRA ROOMS:
Docking
Tractor Beam Facility
Cryogenics
Gym
Lounge
Messhall / Kitchen
Gunners Booth
Observation Lounge
Briefing Rooms
Morgue
Ship Maintenance
Engineering Lab
Cloning
Pathology
Training Holodeck
Officer Quarters
Garbage Disposal
Bathrooms/Showers
Casino
Red Light District
Outpost
Bar
Vehicle Maintenance
Garbage Dump
Multi-Level Factory
Robotics
Anti-Grav Facility
Containment
Exterior Fortress Defense
Laser Cannon Fortifications
Hyperspace
Black Hole

Black Hammer
April 5th, 2017, 12:32
Good to hear. I can definitely see getting use out of this with my sci-fi SW game, or if I ever get around to running Eclipse Phase.

gtw2017
May 10th, 2017, 14:27
[Edit - that was all over the place, I'll try again] Hi guys - well it's almost all wrapped up now with 95% of rewards delivered and just some PDF conversions (underway) and some special conan grids to go. Over 100+ new designs were created this time around and I hope you enjoyed the campaign and liked the maps produced and will consider backing me again in future projects.

As I go forward I hope to continually improve my skills, learn more about how to achieve different effects and hone my art and will be seeking funding for new computer upgrade to make even bigger, better maps and eventually break into the 3d side of things as well. Before I take Meanders to the public via my website Game Tile Warehouse, I wanted to have some backers spend time with the designs to get feedback on quality, design and utility. I'm now trialling a new format that will see a change to the standard size of a Meander (8175x5475 - which originally accounted for a design meant for physically printing onto gameboards - and extra bleed) to a more robust and precise 8100x5400 with the grid taken all the way to the edge. From this standard hi-res format to be in JEPG, there will be two more JEPG formats especially for VTT.

The 2nd format will be sized at 2700x1800 and suit 100 pixels per grid, and the 3rd format will be sized at 1350x900 and suit 50 pixels per grid. The new standardization in size should neatly enable scaling the maps down for more convenient use, as well as be easier to handle with the reduced file size. Less uploading and storage requirements means I can make more of them, and also offer them as instant digital downloads from my website in the coming month.

The files are currently in the hands of two users here, and a backer who had a long discussion with me put me onto the changes, Phergus. So with luck, the files prove to be a better all-round format and I can take them to market very soon - with new maps added to the collection on a semi-regular basis. I'll also be adding a new code instead of the existing file names that will quickly identify which meanders series it is, and make it easy to find what you are looking for even when there are a thousand.

My Sci-fi Meanders 2 Kickstarter is also just around the corner and will offer 75+ new maps in a huge range of sci-fi themes - I hope to launch it around Mid-May or the 21st at the latest.

Thank you everyone that backed me, I will let you know how the trials go, and keep you updated on the next wave.

Kind Regards,
Kris

gtw2017
May 19th, 2017, 00:24
Meanders2 Wave2 Digital Sci-fi Terrain drops in 2 days time on the 21st May.
A preview is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/1602493010?token=6e1623e4
This will be the biggest sci-fi map project ever attempted and potentially over 145 giant new maps for Scifi RPG. You can get Vector Packs, Commercial Licenses, and much more. You can also have your name or even company logo put into my Meanders as a bonus just by backing early. There are downloadable banners on the preview that you can take to share the project around on groups and sites. Thanks for reading, hope to see you there. Cheers :)

Trenloe
May 19th, 2017, 00:29
Meanders2 Wave2 Digital Sci-fi Terrain drops in 2 days time on the 21st May.
A preview is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/1602493010?token=6e1623e4
Super excited about this one Kris.

Nice achievable goal - I'm sure it'll got much higher than this as you attract people with a funded project and cool stretch goals.
Great of you to include the Loyalty pledges.

gtw2017
May 19th, 2017, 00:34
Thanks Trenloe - I'm loving the change in art style and composition required to make these, and expect to learn a ton over the next few months from all of the design work. I think $750 is decent - + every $250 over that unlocks two new free maps, so this is going to be another absolute monster of a campaign. Not a problem re the Loyalty Pledges - glad KS lets me do it!

gtw2017
June 7th, 2017, 02:47
It's happening. More than 100 New Sci-fi designs are being added to the Meanders range of synchable terrain thanks to my wonderful backers - and - its not over yet. Now in the last 72 hours of the campaign there are still loads of exciting goals left to hit suitable for #StarWars #BladeRunner #Alien #Starjammer #Starfinder #WH40k #Tyranids #StarTrek #Pathfinder #RPG . Truly this is going to be an exceptional digital sci-fi map set!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-48-new-digital-sci-fi-maps-and-terrains

#Kickstarter #Tabletop #Digitalmap #Meanders #GTW #Scifi

gtw2017
August 16th, 2017, 07:25
Hello - just an update since last I posted. It's now August and I am happy to say 50% of the total maps have already been completed and sent to backers - that's around 58 meander Maps - with 54 yet to go, due November. Effectively, making great progress despite some hiccups along the way - and with all 48 Core Maps completed I am now starting on the 32 Superset.

Some designs are already available from my webstore for $1 ea (in five formats) at gametilewarehouse.com (https://gametilewarehouse.wixsite.com/rpgtilesupply/shop-2) bringing the total of available Meander maps to over 200.

And for those interested in following along with my Meander projects, there is a new facebook group: Meanders @ Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/586585791519937/)

Kind Regards,
Kris
PS - Hoping to launch a 3rd Wave called Dungeons, Dragons & Dwarves in December.

dracklor
August 16th, 2017, 16:57
These look nice, any plans for making a FG map pack?

gtw2017
August 16th, 2017, 19:51
These look nice, any plans for making a FG map pack?

They are compatible with Fantasy Grounds - many of the users here assisted in the overall design of Meanders to ensure they worked well with FG.

Myrdin Potter
September 7th, 2017, 02:23
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/digital-dungeon-rooms

Less than 24 hours left in this one. Kris always does a good job.

dracklor
September 8th, 2017, 05:32
So I just got the survey, I am unsure which size offered would be best for use in FG 25mm, 28mm, or 32mm tiles from the Digital Dungeon campaign. What would be your recommendation?

Myrdin Potter
September 8th, 2017, 05:34
I asked the same, generally I just care about how many pixels make 5' and scale to be below the FG limit of 2400x2400 pixels (approximate). I usually go for 50 pixels = 5'. Some people prefer 100.

dracklor
September 8th, 2017, 14:18
So if I am understanding you correctly, and using the millimeters to pixels converter I just googled up correctly, then 25mm is roughly 94.5 pixels, 28mm about 105.8, and 32 would be 120.9?

So I should probably go for the 28 for use in FG?

I wonder if Kris could weigh in on this? I'm something of a neophyte at this still.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2017, 14:28
... the FG limit of 2400x2400 pixels (approximate).
2048x2048 is the recommended limit. Go with 2000x2000 if you can't remember the exact numbers. :-)

Trenloe
September 8th, 2017, 14:34
So if I am understanding you correctly, and using the millimeters to pixels converter I just googled up correctly, then 25mm is roughly 94.5 pixels, 28mm about 105.8, and 32 would be 120.9?

So I should probably go for the 28 for use in FG?

I wonder if Kris could weigh in on this? I'm something of a neophyte at this still.
Kris has replied in the Kickstarter saying the maps are 300dpi (dots per inch) where 1 inch is roughly equal to 25mm. So, to get grids of 300x300 pixels go for 25mm. You're going to have to resize down anyway, so starting at a nice round number is easier, as opposed to 336x336 or 384x384 for the grid.

dracklor
September 8th, 2017, 14:56
Kris has replied in the Kickstarter saying the maps are 300dpi (dots per inch) where 1 inch is roughly equal to 25mm. So, to get grids of 300x300 pixels go for 25mm. You're going to have to resize down anyway, so starting at a nice round number is easier, as opposed to 336x336 or 384x384 for the grid.

Thank you so much! You saved me a bunch of time doing research.

Nylanfs
September 8th, 2017, 19:58
25.4mm is one inch. :)

gtw2017
October 1st, 2017, 23:47
Hey guys :) Well its October and I've been working like a demon since the sci-fi Kickstarter closed to complete the massive workload. I'm pleased to report that all 48 Core, 32 Superset and more than half of the 22 Stretch Goal maps have been completed and uploaded and sent to backers. Fulfillment is approximately 80% complete with 12 Stretch Goal maps left to go in the series which I expect to have done in a weeks time. That will leave only the bonuses to do inc. some Ship Blueprints, some VIP Reward maps, the DeathStar Mega-Meander map and 2 custom designs. I'm not slowing down and hopefully can have it all done before or during November as indicated for the due date.

Thanks Trenloe and others for answering the grid/px question, below is a sample of the smaller VTT ready 1350x900 grid uploaded to Roll20. Moon Colony 08 with an Orc Archer. And below that an assortment of joined maps showing approximately 45% of the new Meanders 2 Sci-fi range. And below that, the latest Meander uploaded and sent to backers... Alien Colony. It's been a truly monstrous kickstarter keeping me at my desk for months on end - but it's near the end now, and I'm very happy with what has been produced so far.

Kind Regards,
Kris

gtw2017
July 23rd, 2018, 03:36
Just a follow up for organizational purposes - this KS was 100% completed a few years ago. I will do another huge Sci-fi one next year (2019).

gtw2017
February 6th, 2019, 19:24
Well - Hello there everyone :)

It's been a long time coming - and numerous campaigns have been completed since the last post here but I figured I would keep it all together in the once place and not start another thread for my maps. I've now put almost ALL of my 550+ maps into Fantasy Grounds modules available from my Game Tile Warehouse store, Fantasy Grounds store and Steam as official modules - but the time has arrived and I am about to embark on the latest wave of Meander 4 expansions and one very much needed of an enormous Fantasy City campaign.

The campaign goes live in a few days time but here is a preview. It features a 72 hours early bird offer you may be interested in as well as offers return rewards for return backers.
I have numerous art samples of my city maps up - so feel free to take a look. Finally, destinations to lead all those wilderness maps to...

Seasonal, Interior, Exterior, Blank, Night-Time and Mega Maps are all on offer and if successful - this campaign will bring the total of available meanders to almost 700!

While it does not offer FG modules as a reward - you can be sure they will make their way into them eventually, so I hope I can count on your support to help me expand the series even further.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/1283874698?ref=748573&token=708d4e21

Hope to see you there,
Kind Regards,
Kris