PDA

View Full Version : We All Start Somewhere!

Underdog
February 1st, 2017, 17:54
We All Start Somewhere: A Starting Campaign for Starting Players

FG License: D&D 5E
Game System: Fantasy Grounds

Time Zone: Eastern Time, USA (UTC-5)
Day of week and time: Friday Nights (8pm or 9pm EST) or Saturday Mornings (Start time flexible between 10am-1pm utc -5 US East Coast)
If new game, planned start date: 02/3/2017
Planned Duration & Frequency: 3-4 Hours
Term: Work through module then re-assess

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord or Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50
Number of Players in game & needed: 3-4
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level basic
Character restrictions: Core races and classes

Details of your scenario: I am a formerly experienced DM who is returning to D&D after a long layoff and am new to 5e. I am seeking new D&D players who want to learn in a judgment free environment. We will be patient and prioritize learning the rules and having fun while getting to know each other and become familiar with 5e D&D as well as become familiar with FG as a virtual table top. If you've always wanted to play but felt intimidated by the prospect of being yelled at for non-optimal play or not being able to quote every page and section of the rule book or feeling bad for doing something "stupid" this may be just the game for you. As GM I'm considering it a rolling tryout. Any player who is hyper critical, disrespectful, a rules lawyer or mocks or is disrespectful to any peer will be excused from the game.

I would suggest if we want to start actually playing Friday night or Saturday morning that you may want to bring a character with you all rolled and ready to go. I'd ask that you message me with the characters info. Using standard starting stats is great. If players want or need help creating a character I'll be free for a group or 1:1 time on Thursday 2/2 afternoon/evening and Friday morning before we play. Core classes and races to keep it simple for now.

I have an ultimate license so players only need the basic license.

We will be running Lost Mines of Phandelver for our first adventures.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2385

Hodor
February 1st, 2017, 18:23
Hi Underdog! I'd love to join you for this game if you don't mind having a total noob tag along :)

My only experience of DnD is Baldur's Gate and Critical Role, so I need a noob friendly environment to learn, and what you described sounds perfect!

I live in China, so 8pm Friday night for you would actually be 9am Saturday for me, which works great. I'd also be OK with the other time slot.

Regarding the character creation, I'd love to do it in a session with you and the other players, or just one on one if they are not interested. I'm off work this week, so I'm pretty much free anytime to roll my character.

Underdog
February 1st, 2017, 18:26
Hi Hodor, Not only would I not mind having a total noob, I'm happy to welcome one! That's exactly the goal for this game so it's great that the times work for you. Go ahead over to the game calendar https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2385 and sign up there. Send me a pm about your availability for Thursday afternoon/evening or Friday morning if you want to roll a character together.

Gooberosity
February 1st, 2017, 18:27
PM sent and calendar application done. :) Would love to join. I'm an old D&D player, but haven't played in years so would be first 5e experience for me. I also am a Critical Role junky, but don't expect you to be a Matt Mercer. :)

Underdog
February 1st, 2017, 18:34
Hey Goober, I just PM'd back. Thank god you don't expect me to be him!! What I wouldn't give to have that talent!
You'll be hearing a lot more "ummm..lemmie check (pages flipping)" as I look up answers than you will my voice talents for a while :)

Hodor
February 1st, 2017, 18:45
Don't worry, I'm also not expecting Matt Mercer, and am totally fine with page flipping!
As long as you don't expect me to sing like Scanlan.

Kithkinlord
February 1st, 2017, 18:52
I am fairly new to D and D. i have played a few games of 3.5e and 5e. I have a few charactors kinda pre made but rerolling stats would not be an issue, looking forward to a reply

Pelimar
February 1st, 2017, 19:11
Heyo, brand new to D&D and itching to learn so I appreciate the type of environment you want to foster. Applied on your calendar.