PDA

View Full Version : Performance Question About Satellite ISP

terrells
November 5th, 2005, 23:49
Hello folks, I wonder if anyone with Satellite ISP (specifically Direcway) could let me know about performance issues running games with Fantasy Grounds. I have owned Fantasy Grounds for over a year now, but am only now getting around to running a couple of games. I am no stranger to running RPGs over the internet. I did it for almost 4 years with Grip where two of my campaigns each lasted over a year. For them I had a nice cable modem and great speed. Since then, a couple of family tragedies have forced me to move back to the old homestead and while it is not exactly in “the middle of nowhere,” I do believe we are the last stop before you get there. Satellite is the only option for an any form of high speed internet at this time. I have had no problems with the speed (other than the occasional bandwidth throttling) until I had to use a Citrix application the other day for work. Let’s just say, the performance at that time was only slightly better than dial-up. Any feedback would be appreciated.

richvalle
November 6th, 2005, 00:02
I don't have any experiance with FG over Sat... but I think you should be ok.

The problem with Sat connections is not bandwidth but latancy. It takes a couple seconds to bounce that data up and back down again. I don't think FG should be sensitive to latancy.

Have your tried to run some games yet? It sounds like you have.

rv

terrells
November 6th, 2005, 00:11
I haven’t ran any FG games yet, but I have began to working on the first campaign and getting used to FG’s XML. I tend to put a lot of time into the setup of my games. I have a stable of players that I have been gaming with over the internet since 2000 that have been incredibly loyal so I really want this to ROCK for them. I was planning on getting them FG for Christmas since I want to kick off the new campaigns in Jan.

Sigurd
November 6th, 2005, 01:27
My understanding of Sattelite links is that they are great coming down but rotten going back ie the speed is much faster from the sattelite than to it. You might not want the sattelite person to be the DM.

I have no direct knowledge about this setup and would be interesting to hear your experiences.

richvalle
November 6th, 2005, 01:45
If you ever want to run a little test, just post here. It does not have to be for a game but just to link up, share some images and maps ect.

rv

Yost
November 6th, 2005, 05:24
you might have problems with a satellite hook up. If you are behind Direcway's router, you'll have to get them to assign you a static, public IP address and open the proper port for you...

unixpanix
November 6th, 2005, 20:29
I can run games fine on Direcway, you don't notice the latency much. You have to have a static IP because the way Direcway has the NAT setup. There is no way around it. It's an extra 10$ a month for a static.

Make sure you give enough pre-load time on images, If you have the DW6000 upload speed is about as good as a 56k. The DW7000 Has 256 up. Hope that helps you out some.

terrells
November 7th, 2005, 00:49
Thanks for your reply. That is promising. I have the DW7000. I will have to go ahead and splurge on the static IP. For your games, did you do any voice or is it all chat?

unixpanix
November 7th, 2005, 03:38
I use ventrilo all the time, there is a delay but you get use to it. With the DW7000 it will be much better. Dont host the vent or teamspeak server though, it will be a nightmare. I pay 5 bucks a month for a 50 slot vent server on an OC3.

Direcway sucks and is 100% unplayable with anykind of twitch games, Quake 4, AA, Halflife 2. But works well with MMOs, Dark & Light, DAoC, D&D Online.

gurney9999
November 7th, 2005, 14:33
But works well with MMOs, Dark & Light, DAoC, D&D Online.Ah, someone that is in the DDO beta, possibly??