PDA

View Full Version : New GM running a one-shot on Friday, Feb. 3rd

Spin-Man
February 1st, 2017, 04:51
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds: I messed around with the demo a few years ago, but my group at the time wasn't interested so I all but forgot about it. Now, things have changed and I'm ready to start using it. I've been messing around with it and getting used to the interface, but I want to run a one-shot this Friday for some more experienced players who can help smooth out any unforeseen issues I run into. I have plenty of experience with D&D, so my goal here is to become more comfortable with the software and meet some members of the community. New players are also welcome, and encouraged to come join us!

I'm going to run a D&D 5th Edition game based on the Harried in Hillsfar adventure. It's advertised as several 1-hour mini-adventures, so we'll finish at least one, and if it goes quickly we'll jump right into the next. We may even finish the whole set as long as everyone has time.

FG License: Ultimate (I just upgraded!)
Game System: D&D 5th Ed

Time Zone: Pacific (GMT -8)
Day of week and time: Friday, 7:00pm local time (3:00am on Saturday GMT)
Planned start date: Friday, February 3rd
Planned Duration & Frequency: One-shot, 2-5 hours
Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: TeamSpeak

Roleplay & Combat mix: Mostly combat (Knowing modules, it's about 10/90) :)
Number of Players needed: 3-7
Character starting level & equipment: 1 with standard gear (I'll bump everyone to level 2 if we have only 3 players)
Character restrictions: Anything in the PHB goes, but nothing else for this one: I want to keep it simple. I have a few pre-generated characters ready to go if you don’t want to make one.

A link to the entry on the campaign calendar here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2384)

(Originally posted here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36331-Help-a-new-player-learn-the-ropes-next-Friday!) under a less clear title.)

Warpiggy
February 1st, 2017, 15:46
How do I sign up?

Spin-Man
February 1st, 2017, 19:19
You can go to the calendar link https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2384 and sign up there. It uses your forum username and you won't need a password or anything. Glad to have you on board!

BDaniel
February 1st, 2017, 22:47
Spin-man,
I apologize but I had to change my vote to the later time slot for Friday. I forgot about a family event and was promptly reminded by my wife. So I voted yes for the 7pm PST time slot.

Spin-Man
February 3rd, 2017, 04:45
I just upgraded to the Ultimate License! I'm buying in to the system for long term use, so I have little doubt it will pay for itself in the long run.

BDaniel,

Starting later still works great for me. I have updated it here and on the game calendar. So far, it looks like we have two other players but I'm still accepting more.

jjjtorrence
February 3rd, 2017, 10:36
If I get off work early. Count me in. I signed up for it on the calendar.

BDaniel
February 3rd, 2017, 11:55
Spin- man
will you be placing the connection information (ie Serve alias or IP address and password if required) on the calendar or sending it out by (PM) private message?
Also are you going to post up the Team speak room and PW if required?

jjjtorrence
February 4th, 2017, 01:23
^^bump^^

Ekumaex
February 4th, 2017, 01:38
I think I'll participate in this. Yeah, I assume connection info will be here?

goodmanje
February 4th, 2017, 02:28
I sent a PM requesting the server/teamspeak info...

Spin-Man
February 4th, 2017, 03:01
I am now logged in to the campaign. Sending DM's to everyone with server alias, etc.

Boombaby
February 4th, 2017, 03:20
did you get enough players Good Sire?

Spin-Man
February 4th, 2017, 07:34
We had a great session! There were 5 players for most of the night; getting connected was easier than I had dared to hope, and thankfully BDaniel was able to help me figure out all of my major hiccups running encounters. We finished two of the mini-adventures in the module, and I look forward to running and playing more games in the future. Thanks again to everyone who came: you guys make a great group and I hope to see you in more games!

jjjtorrence
February 4th, 2017, 10:18
Had a blast!!! I learned alot and am hungry for more. I found out that "Message" is more efficient than hunkin a piece of paper at my ally with a mesaage written on it in the middle of combat hahaha

BDaniel
February 4th, 2017, 15:54
Spin-man,
Thank you for a fun evening and it was pleasure to assist but you were tracking very well. You will find out, the more you play and GM , the more you will learn about Fantasy Ground capabilities and very few limitations. Remember we all started where you are at. It did look dire for Tore fighting the were-jackals but do to some great party tactics he managed to live another day. Thanks to the great party of players, it was a good time. Please let me know if you run anymore games, if not otherwise engaged, I would love to join. Take a look at the Class/Feat/Racial character sheet, it will provide a lot of automation for tracking and combat effects/modifiers.

SF
Brian
aka. BDaniel (Tore Authunsson)

Ekumaex
February 4th, 2017, 21:31
Had fun. Let me know when you DM again!