PDA

View Full Version : Pirates add-on

geewaagh
January 31st, 2017, 22:15
Hey all,

I picked up the Pirates module/extension for Savage Worlds ruleset. Couple of questions.

1. Ruleset for players. I am using a variant of the adventure in the book. I can not figure out how to let players use all the feats, skills, equipment without sharing the story, npcs, etc. Ideas?

2. I do not see the content (either module, extension, etc.) but would like to modify the ruleset. Where does it live?

Thanks
Geewaagh

Coanunn
February 1st, 2017, 01:30
Hey all,

I picked up the Pirates module/extension for Savage Worlds ruleset. Couple of questions.

1. Ruleset for players. I am using a variant of the adventure in the book. I can not figure out how to let players use all the feats, skills, equipment without sharing the story, npcs, etc. Ideas?

2. I do not see the content (either module, extension, etc.) but would like to modify the ruleset. Where does it live?

Thanks
Geewaagh

Thank you for picking up the Pirates module. It was a pleasure to convert from the source material.

As to Question 1: Unfortunately due to the way I entered that information it is not currently possible without module editing to load that information without it be loaded into the story, npc, encounters, etc. That would require releasing the module with dedicated GM and Player content sections and during development of the module the decision was made to combine those into a single section. With that said all entries in those sections should not be publicly visible to players. I've heard about an issue with the latest version or perhaps with an extension that has caused that, so it shouldn't be an issue once that is resolved.

As to Question 2: The ruleset is Savage Worlds, while the original Pirates book was sold as a stand alone and you will find the Pirates module replicates many of the entries from Savage Worlds it is written to run using the existing Savage Worlds ruleset, any modification would be no different than modifying Savage Worlds.

geewaagh
February 1st, 2017, 11:46
Coanunn,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the comments:

1. All story sections are present for all my players and I have yet to figure out how to turn them off. Ideas on a work-around?

2. Regarding modification (I was going to remove the story from the rule set), I do not see a pirate.mod file or a pirate.ext. What is the file called and what directory would it be?

Thanks
Geewaagh

Ikael
February 1st, 2017, 12:27
Coanunn,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the comments:

1. All story sections are present for all my players and I have yet to figure out how to turn them off. Ideas on a work-around?

2. Regarding modification (I was going to remove the story from the rule set), I do not see a pirate.mod file or a pirate.ext. What is the file called and what directory would it be?

Thanks
Geewaagh

1. There are challenges in the current design, because everything is in single module you can mark it completely available/public to players or not available/public to players at all. You could mark the module as not-available to players (from module activation screen) and share small chunks of it individually to players by sharing each and every record manually to players by dragging and dropping them to each and every player who joined in the session. This is definitely not longtime solution, and player version of the module should be crafted imo.

2. Pirates product is encrypted and is not available to be modified

Talyn
February 2nd, 2017, 18:49
Yep, I tried to fight and do Lankhmar as one module too but the way FG handles the databases, it's just not a conducive practice. I'd urge you to reconsider and split it into Player and GM modules like all the other Savage Worlds products have done. It's not fun to do but if the players can't manage their characters, no one will play.

Topdecker
February 2nd, 2017, 19:06
My players are all 30+ in age and I do not worry that they would dig around in the story (at least not until most of it has happened), but there is that Wizard of Oz thing... I don't need for my players to see how the great and mighty Oz operates.

sjard
February 6th, 2017, 01:09
Never mind I'm blind.

geewaagh
February 7th, 2017, 01:54
Coanunn,

Just got the update the Ladies Favor broke out of rules!!! You are the man!

Geewaagh

Topdecker
February 7th, 2017, 03:31
Coanunn -

What?! Wow, that was crazy fast, thank you! Nice to see a player's manual, and GM's set of rules, and the dedicated adventure module. I've gathered a ridiculous variety of ship deck plans, ship tokens, and other bits and hope to get the ship up to speed, the sails full, and make for Tortuga in a few months.

Coanunn
February 7th, 2017, 03:39
No problem guys, About 35 links had to be removed from the player's section that point to content exclusive to the GM section but this keeps it consistent with the other Fantasy Grounds content for Savage Worlds.

Thank James for getting it pushed so quickly.