PDA

View Full Version : Tips on a good MacOS editor?

Varsuuk
January 31st, 2017, 17:19
Basically, none of the editors I have were as functional as Notepad++

For my initial looking into ruleset ladt night, I ended up using the Eclipse I already had on my laptop (I nowadays have switched to Netbeans, but eclipse had simple lua and xml already)

I'm willing to buy a reasonably priced editor if nothing is open source like notepad++ that fits the bill.

Would have loved it if could use xCode as well since would give me more practice with that as well.

Zhern
January 31st, 2017, 19:36
Sublime Text all the way!

dmbrown
January 31st, 2017, 19:45
Text Wrangler - Free Version of BBedit and Brackets also free.

Varsuuk
February 1st, 2017, 02:17
Text Wrangler - Free Version of BBedit and Brackets also free.

I didn't think TextWrangler had Lua/xml support, guess was wrong.

I really miss having IDE-like editors though. You know like Netbeans. But any decent context-sensitive, autocomplete would rule.

dmbrown
February 1st, 2017, 03:12
Textmate and coda is suppose to be good too. As fir xcode i know they keep cranking out new versions.

Zhern
February 1st, 2017, 16:46
As I said, Sublime Text. It has support for a ton of languages, including XML and Lua, and is context-sensitive and has autocomplete functionality. While not free, the trial never expires and is not limited in functionality, provided you don't mind the nag screen. I purchased it and it is my go to for almost everything that I do outside of IntelliJ or Visual Studio.

And yes, there is a Mac and also Linux version of it. Additionally, you can create your own plugins very easily thanks to the plugin API (and with a bit of Python knowledge).

https://www.sublimetext.com/