PDA

View Full Version : Spell save DCs/attack bonus not calculating properly

eerongal
January 29th, 2017, 19:23
So i've had this happen a couple of times to a few people I DM for, and I'm not sure how it happens, but has anyone seen an issue with the character sheet in 5E not properly calculating save DCs/spell attack bonuses?

I have attached the setup of both the druid (the problem character) and a wizard i just created quickly to test.

The druid is level 3 and has a wisdom of 16, so the save DC should be 13, instead of 10. The configuration LOOKS correct, but it's only adding in proficiency, not wisdom.

It's worth noting that the guy who made it DID create it with drag and drop, however, he at FIRST added a line that he manually typed in "druid", but I had him delete that and actually use drag and drop for levels 1-3. He also accidentally deleted the "spells" group, which i re-added by dragging a spell on to his list from the druid spells section. The setup configuration, however, appears to be correct, and yet it's not calculating properly. Is it just not possible to "correct" something if drag and drop wasn't used at any point in the character configuration?

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2017, 22:25
Click on the little magnifying glass on the line that says Spells level one and make sure that the group Ability is set to the correct ability for Druids. By messing around he's probably confused FG.

eerongal
January 29th, 2017, 22:40
Click on the little magnifying glass on the line that says Spells level one and make sure that the group Ability is set to the correct ability for Druids. By messing around he's probably confused FG.

That's what's shown in the druid picture (bottom right). It's set for ability: wisdom, attack: base + prof, save: 8+base + prof, which is exactly the same as the wizard i made to compare it to.

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2017, 22:56
Sorry, I didn't look hard enough. Are you using any extensions? Also if you create a new character does it work?

eerongal
January 29th, 2017, 23:25
Nope, no extensions (outside of official modules). The wizard i showed a picture of was a wizard i created to test it out, and it seems to be working perfectly.

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2017, 23:44
Try changing the Base of the DC to Wis as well rather than it reading base. Something has been knocked off kilter with deleting the spells. FG isn't recognising the class, so you may have to tell it manually what to do.

eerongal
January 30th, 2017, 00:16
I've tried that, and it still doesn't seem to add the wisdom....just proficiency.

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2017, 00:22
Right click over the spell icon and select refresh spell.

eerongal
January 30th, 2017, 00:25
"reparse spell actions"? Because that didn't seem to do anything...I don't see a "refresh" though.

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2017, 00:37
Yeah reparse spell actions. I couldn't remember the exact thing.

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2017, 00:43
I can't think of much else to try apart from reconstructing the character. Possibly also you could back up the moduledb and then delete the original to see if that helps. The character is clearly corrupted. I have a vague memory of someone else having a similar problem but I can't remember if there was a solution.

Nalfien
March 24th, 2017, 02:03
I have a rogue 1 / sorcerer 1 player in my game, and they have this problem as well. If I create a new character with the same stats and classes it calculates the spell save DC correctly when I drag over a spell. On their character though, I can delete a spell and drag a fresh copy over and it shows a DC of 10 every time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3jelBQ6e6Zmbm4yaktzc1A5ZGM

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 03:14
Actually, just trying again with the bugged XML. Click the magnifying glass icon on either of the spell headers on the actions tab and set the casting "Ability" to "Cha". This should fix it.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 03:16
See Spell Power Group here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Spell_Power_Group

Nalfien
March 24th, 2017, 03:25
Thanks, Trenloe, but that doesn't quite fix it. When I changed that "Power Group - Spells" Ability to CHA, the DC didn't adjust for Charm Person. I deleted the spell and re-added it, but still didn't work.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 04:14
Thanks, Trenloe, but that doesn't quite fix it. When I changed that "Power Group - Spells" Ability to CHA, the DC didn't adjust for Charm Person. I deleted the spell and re-added it, but still didn't work.
These are the steps I did with the XML you provided:
1) Imported the PC XML.
2) On the Actions tab, clicked the magnifying glass on the "Spells (Cantrips)" banner and changed "Ability" to Cha
3) Deleted the Charm Person spell.
4) Checked that Charisma was still the Ability on both the "Spells (Cantrips)" and "Spells (Level 1)" details window.
5) Dragged Charm Person from the PHB spells list.

The save shows as "Wis DC 12".

If this doesn't work, what versions of CoreRPG and 5E are you running (versions reported in the chat window) and what extensions?

Nalfien
March 24th, 2017, 05:45
5e Curse of Strahd (Theme)
5E Language Fonts (FR)
Apply effect on CT drop
D&D Curse of Strahd Desktop Decals

5E ruleset v3.2.2
CoreRPG ruleset v3.2.2

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 05:51
1) Please try in a brand new 5E campaign with no extensions loaded.
2) Try the attached.

palinar
March 14th, 2020, 23:18

Stumbled across this post as I ran into this problem today - it worked, thank you for posting! :D