PDA

View Full Version : Is this for me (noob)?

Osshkosh
January 29th, 2017, 14:24
I'm completely new to playing D&D. I keep reading the learning curve for this game (FG) is steep. I just picked up the the box starter set to do some reading. Is FG the best way to learn or should I do a little more reading first? I wanted to find a local group but its a little hard at the moment and of course some people don't want to teach a new player. Thank you for your time.

Dyark
January 29th, 2017, 14:50
Hi Osshkosh

Welcome to the community

There is some great videos on youtube that teach you how to play and create a character. It is not that hard if you are on the player side.
Of course learning the basic of playing is a must (What you can do and how with your character), FG let you assemble all the data into one place and combat is a lot easier to manage with it.

There is one here but so many are there also if you search

https://youtu.be/q47SgXZLHdo

JohnD
January 29th, 2017, 16:32
I think accepting new players and helping them learn the game is something we do very well in this community.

Osshkosh
January 29th, 2017, 22:01
Thank you for your time.

Dwayne Squires
January 29th, 2017, 22:02
Osshkosh,

I hope this is helpful. I keyed in on a particular word that you used, "Game". FG is not a game. It is a Virtual Table Top management system for playing D&D. This is not any like an RPG game such as Balder's Gate or Dragon Age. Instead it helps you manage and play D&D (or several other table top games) so that you do not need to use pen and paper or be in the same room with all the other players. I think people get confused sometimes and think this is some kind of game when it is not and then get really disappointed after they buy it. This may seem like a minor point but it is key to understand what you are getting.

If you have never played D&D before then you certainly might find FG harder to understand and use. However, as pointed out already, if you are just a player and not the Dungeon Master/Game Master, it is much easier to use. The system will allow you to move your character around on a map and "act" out actions that you want to take (such as attacking a monster). The system does an excellent job of automatically showing results and then tracking them so no one else has to. It makes everyone's jobs easier in the end. Best of luck in your new experience with D&D and FG.

As a side note my background is I am an old D&D player from before PCs really existed. I have recently gotten my children interested in D&D but they hated keeping track on paper. I found FG about a two weeks ago and am still learning all its features. I have taught one of the kids how to use it to do some test runs and everyone seems more interested in playing now because the FG will now do all of the crazy paperwork for them. Work has caused a delay in us getting our first full session going but I, at least, am looking forward to it. I think the kids are too.

Maybe I should create a fancy signature block with my background like the others...LOL. But I am a noob to FG still as well. A 50+ yr old noob but some of us never grow up...LOL

Dyark
January 29th, 2017, 22:06
Nice explanation, come on do a fancy signature, it is fun

vodokar
January 30th, 2017, 01:15
If you are new to D&D or any other pen and paper role playing game; the first place to start, really, is simply show up for a game. You don't need to understand anything. Your DM and the other players will teach you. Honestly, as a player, you don't need to know that much at first. The DM can simply hand you a pre-made character and teach you the rules a little at a time as they come up during play. That's the way a lot of people learned. Ask for a newbie friendly group. You'll be fine.

dulux-oz
January 30th, 2017, 01:18
Hi Osshkosh, and Welcome! to the Community,

Everything that my esteemed colleagues have said is 100% true. Let me also add the following:

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Osshkosh
January 30th, 2017, 03:50
I really appreciate all the information I am receiving. I have watched a lot of videos and read reviews. I'm definitely going to pick up the players version. I am still going to try to get my family to start playing when I return from Okinawa. They already role play online, but I guess playing with dad isn't cool to do.

Dwayne Squires, I apologize for saying it was game. I should have word it a little better then I did.

Osshkosh
January 30th, 2017, 09:25
Going to download demo. Thanks for all your help and I am pretty sure I will have question.