PDA

View Full Version : Merchants, Taverns, Side Quests, and NPCs: JimSocks's "Content Generator 2017" Module

JimSocks
January 29th, 2017, 05:40
THIS VERSION IS OLD! IT'S BEEN REPLACED!

Head on over to THIS POST (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54306-Content-generator-2020!&p=480747#post480747) to see the new version of the mod. It even supports all the rulesets now!

JimSocks
January 29th, 2017, 05:42
**Reserved**

Talyn
January 29th, 2017, 16:22
Looks pretty cool. In fact, other than the encounter stuff which are 5E monsters, it looks like everything else could be placed in ruleset "Any" so everyone could use it not just the 5E peeps. :)

JimSocks
January 29th, 2017, 17:02
I suppose you are right! Do I need to delete the encounters and post a new version in the "Any Ruleset" section, or do you think I can leave them in and include a disclaimer about them being filled with 5e monsters?

If the second option is acceptable that's what I would like to do- because when I make improvements I really only want to have to mess with one module instead of a 5e and a non-specific version too. I have never messed with other rulesets, so I am unsure how including 5e content in them would work out?

Talyn
January 29th, 2017, 17:17
Offhand, I'd say sure, just make a disclaimer that these are 5E monsters and to replace them with appropriate monsters from whatever game you're playing.

CMYKMatter
January 29th, 2017, 17:52
I just have to say this is pretty cool stuff. Thanks for all the work!

JohnD
January 29th, 2017, 19:25
Thanks for sharing.

JimSocks
January 30th, 2017, 03:10
Heads up: as of just now I loaded a new version of this as the attachment in post #1.

This update fixes a last minute table error, and a link error I somehow missed before. Download and replace your old copy. All should now be well.

And thanks for the compliments guys! If you get a hilarious tavern name you should post it here, because I want to hear 'em! I think there are over 360,000 possible combinations of tavern names between the seedy and upscale taverns alone, not to mention between the differing sizes of tavern!

JimSocks
January 30th, 2017, 17:15
I just have to say this is pretty cool stuff. Thanks for all the work!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback, and you are welcome guys! I am excited to see the work I have done for my own campaigns help others with theirs :)

BubbaGrim
February 9th, 2017, 03:52
Don't know if this qualifies as a hilarious tavern name but.....
I have a tavern in my campaign that, although it has no sign hanging out front, is know for it's large statue of a rooster standing on top of two cannon balls.

Anyway love the mod. :)

ddavison
February 9th, 2017, 05:51
Hello JimSocks, I checked this out and this is exactly the sort of stuff I was envisioning when I first prototyped the story templates. I'm glad to see you've poured in your creative juices and come up with some great generators. The thumbnail is also very appropriate. Well done.

JimSocks
February 9th, 2017, 15:37
BubbbaGrim:

Ah the old rooster and cannon! ...right? Lol

I have a background in sailor-mouthery so I was very tempted to put some lewd or suggestive words in the name generators because to me it would result in hilarity, but I remembered kids play D&D too so I erred on the side of caution.

The most taboo name I've gotten so far:
"The Prostitute and Child"

Though I am sure with so many combinations there are bound to be a few others that raise an eyebrow (I can't wait to see em lol)

Thanks for posting- it's awesome to hear you like it!

JimSocks
February 9th, 2017, 15:46
Ddavison:

Thanks for the feedback! Honestly, I absolutely LOVE the new story templates. I've been pushing the boundaries of them and find myself dreaming of even more functionality I wish they had (which is ludicrous considering how awesome they already are!)

My end goal now with this mod is to come out with a complete campaign generator for levels 0-5. This would be something that generates a complete story arc, encounters, recurring NPCs, relevant cities with maps and points of interest, side quests, you know- everything.

The issue there is how what I want to accomplish buts up against what is currently possible, and there are definitely expectations I need to manage there (as I have found building these already)

It really does make me happy to hear that people think this is useful and cool, and to be honest hearing that is keeping me focused on making some even better stuff :)

ddavison
February 9th, 2017, 16:03
One of the things we discussed internally and have heard people request is the ability to pass parameters in. It might be a while before we touch that again, though, because we have a lot of other areas where we need to focus our developer attention.

JimSocks
February 9th, 2017, 18:36
Oh man- passing data in from another source would be epic! I can just begin to think of all the ways I could use that...

I won't hold my breath, I'll just keep my finger crossed :)

No need to read any further if you are tired of hearing about bright ideas and crazy feature requests...

I would also LOVE the ability to display data rolled on grandchild tables, and the ability to nest table call-outs (as in [<race><class>] where the template would first pull the previously generated output from [race] and [class] tables, and roll on the table that resulted. Ex: this might display the result of the [dwarf rogue] table or the [elf cleric] table dependent on what had previously resulted from race and class.

Another killer feature idea: a checkbox for auto-rolling on story template links within the template and inserting the content they generate in place of the link. I could use that in a million ways...

If you read this far through my hairbrained ideas, thanks for listening :)

dmkevin
February 11th, 2017, 12:16
All I can say is Wow!

rob2e
February 11th, 2017, 18:20
Great work on this! You may want to copy and paste post #1 into an "Instructions" story entry, so people don't have to refer back to the forums for them.

Nice! And I'll most likely be using it TODAY!

ThanX!

JimSocks
February 12th, 2017, 07:15
Dmkevin: That's actually a pretty awesome compliment. Thanks :)

Rob2e: Solid idea. When I get home tomorrow I'll do just that. I'm super excited it's getting used- let me know how it goes!!!

FyreM
February 25th, 2017, 04:20
thank you very much, this is great!

JimSocks
February 25th, 2017, 04:25
Your welcome!

Wait till you see what I've been toiling over lately: a complete campaign generator :)

There is a LOT of work left to go on it, but I already have four plot line generators complete. Only like 70-some more to go LOL

They should get easier as I go along and can re-use tables from other plot lines. We'll see ;)

celestian
February 26th, 2017, 21:44
Great stuff, thanks for your work on this and making it available to the rest of us!

JimSocks
February 26th, 2017, 23:42
:) thanks!

There's more on the way!

devinnight
February 27th, 2017, 00:50
I'm going to have a look tonight. It sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing the work.

Danimal66
February 28th, 2017, 05:02
Color me stupid but how do I use this?

For example if I want to generate a medium poor merchant what exactly do I do? I've been playing with it but can't figure it out.

Mavrik6666
February 28th, 2017, 08:36
If you go to the story templates in the module then click on one, and click generate

For example - Tiny Rich Merchant - when you click the generate button, it creates an entry in your Story Folder - which you can open and use or copy

Hope that helps

JimSocks
February 28th, 2017, 13:38
Mavrick nailed it! Thanks :)

Danimal66: The whole mod is intended to be used from the table category named "01. Content Generator"

If you click on the drop-down list inside your tables window, you should see this category right at the top.

Inside the category is a handy reference for every generator the mod contains. If you wish to generate a tiny poor shop, you will open the handy list of merchant generators, click on tiny poor shop, and then click the generate button at the bottom of that window as Maverick explained.

Pretty soon I will be updating this mod with a story entry containing all of the data from post number one in this thread, as well as some "how do I use this?" explanations.

Mavrik6666
March 1st, 2017, 15:39
Jim

How do you get something like the a random tavern into DOE:Locations - It doesn't seem to allow me to drag and drop from the Generated Tavern in Story- to the DOE:Locations / Building

Does it need to go somewhere else ?

Mav

JimSocks
March 2nd, 2017, 03:27
So the only part you can just drag/drop into DOE: Locations is the shop inventory of items.

The rest you'll need to enter into the shop manually (like shopkeeper name, shop name, description, item markups, etc.)

So in essence, the generator makes you a fully-fleshed out shop complete with what items they have for sale, and you can use this to populate a shop in DOE: Locations with whatever data you like.

The generated inventory is my favorite part though, because DOE: Locations let's the PCs actually shop in it and it does all the behind the scenes magic for you.

irish_carbomb
March 7th, 2017, 16:17
Thank you very much for this mod.. I really enjoy using it in my campaigns. I see I can go in and adjust the dice used to generate items in the inventory of the stores. I was wondering how would I go about adding a column to the generation table that would specifically generate a number of basic healing potions, much like it does rations. I would want it like a 1d4 or something like that.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2017, 18:20
Thank you very much for this mod.. I really enjoy using it in my campaigns. I see I can go in and adjust the dice used to generate items in the inventory of the stores. I was wondering how would I go about adding a column to the generation table that would specifically generate a number of basic healing potions, much like it does rations. I would want it like a 1d4 or something like that.

Without looking at the actual thing you are talking obout in a table you use [1d4x][tablename] to roll 4 times on the table. In a table row you do [1d4x] Potion and drag the healing potion and drop it on the left of the row. If you set the table output to parcel it will generate the parcel for you. More information on tables here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables).

JimSocks
August 3rd, 2017, 04:54
I think this fell off the 5e extensions sticky. Anyone know why? It still works wonders for me.

(It was particularly fun to play with in Gracklstugh during an OOTA campaign! So many fun shops)

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2017, 06:26
I think this fell off the 5e extensions sticky. Anyone know why?
It's in the modules sticky, because it's a module not an extension. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23721-5E-Community-Modules

JimSocks
August 6th, 2017, 05:45
**Facepalm**

geez... maybe I should get some sleep

Montassiner
March 14th, 2018, 15:23
Hey Jimsocks,

This thing you've done is amazing. I'm currently running a 5th ed and Pathfinder game, is there anything similar for Pathfinder that you know of?

JimSocks
March 16th, 2018, 00:39
This should work perfectly well in pathfinder aside from one part: the premade monster encounters. That’s actually a pretty small part! Everything else should work, but maybe I’m wrong about that?

Now that I think about it, maybe the shop inventory generator wouldnt work either, but the shop generator itself would.

I am not aware of a similar undertaking for other modules though...

Edit: Thanks for the compliment!

zimores
March 26th, 2018, 21:25
i cant actually find the download

dberkompas
March 26th, 2018, 21:30
It's at the bottom of the 1st post of this thread.

Trenloe
March 26th, 2018, 21:52
i cant actually find the download
Make sure you are running in desktop mode, not mobile (check the links right at the bottom of the page) and if that doesn't show the download in post #1 change the theme to FG Responsive.

zimores
March 27th, 2018, 01:21
Make sure you are running in desktop mode, not mobile (check the links right at the bottom of the page) and if that doesn't show the download in post #1 change the theme to FG Responsive.

thanks, I think Opera was opening it wrong

mrrockitt
June 9th, 2018, 16:21
thanks, I think Opera was opening it wrong

Well done on using my fave browser Opera zimores and extremely well done on an excellent mod Jim :)

Bidmaron
September 24th, 2018, 14:46
What is it about this that makes it 5e specific?

JimSocks
September 24th, 2018, 16:19
There are links to items and creatures from the 5e books. Aside from those it’s all coreRPG useable- which is actually still a lot of stuff.

But it doesn’t work 100% outside of 5e, which is why it’s here

Davinci522
September 27th, 2018, 01:21
Not sure if you could do this, but it would be awesome if you could get together with Jay Moore and use his Onomatology tables for your race names. I use his names whenever I am in a pinch for an npc name and I am guaranteed to never have a repeat. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/212358/Onomatology?term=ono&test_epoch=0

Paranore
January 8th, 2019, 21:19
Great work, thanks for this

Davinci522
January 9th, 2019, 07:52
Not sure if you could do this, but it would be awesome if you could get together with Jay Moore and use his Onomatology tables for your race names. I use his names whenever I am in a pinch for an npc name and I am guaranteed to never have a repeat. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/212358/Onomatology?term=ono&test_epoch=0

I actually did just this. I love both extensions and I just replaced his links with the onomatopogy ones that fit. My humans now have over 1000 first and last names to generate from.

JimSocks
January 9th, 2019, 19:35
Awesome idea! If Mr Moore is ok with it I would even go ahead and just merge his work into the base download file. Of coarse I would cite him as the source for that data in the top post.

I’d never do that without his explicit permission though.

Davinci522
January 9th, 2019, 20:59
Awesome idea! If Mr Moore is ok with it I would even go ahead and just merge his work into the base download file. Of coarse I would cite him as the source for that data in the top post.

I’d never do that without his explicit permission though.

It's the reason I haven't uploaded it or shared it. I also have an older version of this content creator now. I think if I update it then my replaced links with reset. It also only takes about 5 min or so once you see the tables he uses to replace them, so its not a hard thing to change them out.

paladiusdarkhelm
January 16th, 2019, 13:31
This would be great if they were merged together. I wasn't ever able to find a copy of the onomatology mod, but heard great things about it based on all the races.

mattekure
January 16th, 2019, 14:06
This would be great if they were merged together. I wasn't ever able to find a copy of the onomatology mod, but heard great things about it based on all the races.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/212358/Onomatology Its pay what you want.

daddyogreman
January 30th, 2020, 20:30
I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but I just wanted to tip my hat to you, JimSocks. This module is absolutely fantastic.

JimSocks
January 31st, 2020, 22:01
Hey thanks! I really geeked out on it lol. I’ve got a much bigger update for it planned- where it will generate an entire campaign for you with a whole plot, cities, world-building, NPCs, and even maps. It’s about 1/3 done but I haven’t touched it in awhile- been so busy lately!

JimSocks
February 8th, 2020, 09:45
BIG UPDATE! The original post has been changed to reflect the new version. It's 4:30am, so I hope I exported correctly and everything works. Let me know if it doesn't and I will re-export with rested eyes :)

This new version adds LOTS more generators, including the prototype for generating entire campaigns! Also, MANY of the tables from the last version were updated with more results- in some cases quadrupling the number of available outcomes. The requests to incorporate the cool naming tables have also been done, although those affect all the generators except the stand-alone NPC generators right now (so all the city/campaign/tavern/guild/secret society/merchant generators use the super awesome name tables for NPCs) I'll look into how to do the NPC generators with the robust names at a later date, but for now they are really just designed for quick, unexpected encounters, and I think they fit the bill for that just fine even without the new tables.

If anyone out there cares to play-test a generated campaign from this mod, I would LOVE to hear your feedback! That section has come a long way, but it still has a long way to go before I capture my vision for it and any feedback will help bigtime.

Beemanpat
February 8th, 2020, 12:29
Hot dang! I just found and started using the old ext. Man this is exciting. Cant wait to try this updated one. Thanks.

k410
February 8th, 2020, 18:19
Wow, what an update!

Thank you, Mr. Socks!

daddyogreman
February 8th, 2020, 23:42
Cheers, sir. Downloaded and poked around. A wealth of information randomly generated at my fingertips. Will be put to use tomorrow in my Pathfinder campaign - I've just changed the ruleset to Any and find it still incredibly useful when running Pathfinder.

JimSocks
February 9th, 2020, 15:01
With my passion for this project renewed I have been working on it even more.

Another update coming within the next few weeks- with the NPC generator to beat all NPC generators of all time :)

Beemanpat
February 9th, 2020, 17:20
Hey Mr. Socks just downloaded this new and improved mod, noticed in your OP, that it was planned to work alongside with DOE locations. Just wanted to you to be aware that the DOEs are no longer supported and have been removed. Didn't know if that would affect this any.
Thanks for the great work. Glad the passion is back.

Update: Wow I just loaded this up. You've really out done yourself. I know this may be silly but the generate tavern menu is freaking awesome. My party is always putting me on the spot with trying order things at the tavern. Again thanks.

JimSocks
February 10th, 2020, 02:23
I didn’t know that! Aw man- the locations extension was the best! :cry:

It doesn’t affect this mod any though, just makes me sad- I loved letting the players shop on their own.

And I am glad you like it! Definitely not silly, I use it a lot myself! Aside from the big city random shops generator, it might be the second most used thing in the mod for me, followed by the tavern and merchant generators probably.

I probably added about 2,000 more table entries today, and worked on the nesting tables for the new NPC generator. I also added some cool stuff to the city generators too- “Royal Court Drama” and “Useless people you run into while looking for information”. The last one has honestly made me laugh a few times while putting it together :)

These additions aren’t in the current link- I’ll finish the NPC generator and do a version update then.

Beemanpat
February 10th, 2020, 03:10
Oh wow oh my 2000 more. So excited. I never used the DOE locations but it sounded great like all the DOEs. The only one I used was the sounds one. Looking forward to updates. Thank you much.

JimSocks
February 21st, 2020, 15:20
The mod is getting REALLY juicy you guys. I’ve spent maybe a hundred hours making more generators and tables, and improving the ones I already had. Once again, I’m not ready to post an update yet, but I wanted to keep you in the loop on it’s progress. It’ll be BIG :)

Unrelated:
Bamboka, I am unsure what your post was meant to say... the quote and the text below it are both quotes of my other posts earlier in the thread?

Beemanpat
February 21st, 2020, 16:46
Oh yeah looking forward to it. I like the one you have now the new one I imagine is gonna be even better.

Edit. Used just the other night. Sure enough they were in a merchant. The party asked what is there buy.......bam used this and had some fast answers. Thanks a bunch.

JimSocks
March 15th, 2020, 22:27
Well my friends the day has come! I started a new thread for two reasons: I couldn't change the title of this one, and now there is a version compatible with other rulesets!

Head on over to THIS POST (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54306-Content-generator-2020!&p=480747#post480747) to see the new version of the mod. :)