PDA

View Full Version : Editing A 5E Module

Salz78
January 29th, 2017, 04:17
Hey, so I'm looking at editing the "Princes of the Apocalypse" module, really just the text as I adapt it to my campaign. So when I bring up a section of the adventure, I see that I can click the unlock icon and edit the text. So, if I go through and edit this adventure throughout, is there anyway to back it up, so that if I ever download the module again and it overwrites all my changes, I can get them back?

Thanks and hope that makes sense!

LordEntrails
January 29th, 2017, 04:52
You can't actually edit or change the PotA module itself, but if you open it in a campaign, make te changes you want, then export that campaign to your own module (say PotA-Custom), then when you go to a completely new campaign, you can load both PotA and PotA-Custom and be able to access your changes.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2017, 05:08
You can't actually edit or change the PotA module itself, but if you open it in a campaign, make te changes you want, then export that campaign to your own module (say PotA-Custom), then when you go to a completely new campaign, you can load both PotA and PotA-Custom and be able to access your changes.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work - the module edits that are shown in the campaign cannot be exported, they are specific to that campaign. The only way you can use the module export is to make copies of each entry (drag/drop in the campaign data window) but this won't have any links to it as it is a new record, so it's not really a viable way to get edited data to be exported into a module.

It is possible to preserve your campaign module edits, but it requires a bit of file copying. When a module record is edited within a campaign FG records that change in a file in the \moduledb directory within the FG campaign directory. For example the file for the Princes of the Apocalypse module would be "DD Princes of the Apocalypse.xml". If you copy this file to another campaign's \moduledb directory you will transfer the edits from one campaign to another.

Note: This moduledb file is deleted if you "revert changes" on a module.

LordEntrails
January 30th, 2017, 00:25
Thanks for the correction Trenloe. I guess I had always made a duplicate before... not sure.