PDA

View Full Version : AD&D module compatibility with C&C

vodokar
January 29th, 2017, 03:51
Thought I should stick my head in and do a cross-post, in case you hadn't seen my post in the AD&D ruleset thread.

I am currently working on putting out some AD&D adventure modules. All of these will also be implemented to be compatible with C&C, as well.

I just finished posting regarding the first one:

Our very first AD&D adventure module is out of my hot little hands and has been sent to Smiteworks this night.

This is also good news for the C&C folks; because I made sure everything was compatible with that system. Included with it are versions of pregenerated characters for both AD&D and C&C. Everything is compatible, though C&C folks might want to ignore some of the treasure as it is likely tuned for a higher treasure and magic gain than they are used to.

Talyn
January 29th, 2017, 04:04
I dunno, all the C&C adventures I have give an insane amount of gold and treasure...

damned
January 29th, 2017, 11:33
In C&C you dont level up if you dont score loot!

Talyn
January 29th, 2017, 13:28
GM discretion, mate! I'd hate to have to rename Castles & Crusades to "Monty & Haul..." :p

Andraax
January 29th, 2017, 13:35
Actually, in C&C you don't get experience for loot *at all*. You only level up for killing stuff. :-)

*Some* GMs give experience for loot, but that's not in the rules (except for a small amount of experience for high-level magical items...)

Talyn
January 29th, 2017, 13:50
I could've swore I did read they (optionally) get loot for gold they find (ie. not reward money) and for magic items (but they only get the magic item XP after they actually use the item). But I've been reading so many PDFs of so many different RPG systems it wouldn't surprise me in the least that I'm thinking of a non-C&C system.

damned
January 29th, 2017, 14:06
GAINING LEVELS
Characters gain levels as they adventure. Gaining levels equates to becoming better and more experienced at one’s chosen profession. With new levels, the character gains more abilities and greater chances of performing abilities successfully. Hit points increase as does bonus to hit.

To gain a level, the character must accumulate enough experience points to meet the next level’s experience point progression (EPPs). The EPPs for each class are located in the appropriate class description. Experience points are gained by successfully completing an adventure, killing foes, successfully performing actions, collecting treasure and as rewards for good role playing. The Castle Keeper awards experience points as described in the rules but always has the right to add or subtract experience points for whatever reason.

Monster experience points are located in Monsters & Treasure. Experience points awarded for treasure acquired is equal to the gold piece value of all the treasure picked up in the course of adventuring. Optionally, the Castle Keeper may not allow this or only some percentage of the treasure’s value, as this may speed up the rate of level progression depending on the amount of treasure acquired. For experience points awarded for defeating monsters and role playing see Monsters and Treasure. Bear in mind that the Castle Keeper does not have to award this amount if the player did a poor job of role playing, but can if he wants to.

Once enough experience points are acquired to advance a level, the character must train for the number of weeks equal to the level reached before receiving the benefits of that level. For example, a 6th level cleric, upon acquiring the experience points necessary to reach 7th level, must train for 7 weeks before receiving the benefits of that level. Once training is completed, the character gains the extra hit points, spells or abilities which that level confers upon the class.

Talyn
January 29th, 2017, 16:55
Experience Points
After characters defeat monsters or acquire treasure, they earn experience points (xp). The Castle Keeper is free to award experience points in whatever manner desired, but the following is a recommended general method.

MONSTERS: The Castle Keeper adds the value of all monsters defeated or overcome on the adventure. Each monster has a base xp value, and a bonus can be given if a specific monster was greater than normal for its type. The total xp are then divided by the number of characters that defeated the monsters.

MONEY: Although not all Castle Keepers do so, some award xp for non-magical treasure. The Castle Keeper should award 1 xp to the party for every 1gp value of non-magical treasure such as money, gems, art and other items acquired during the adventure.

MAGIC ITEMS: Like monsters, magic items have a xp value. The Castle Keeper should award a magic item’s xp value to a character who possesses and uses the item for a period of time.

STORY: The Castle Keeper should assign an xp value to each adventure and award that total to each character who completed the adventure successfully. An easy way to determine the story xp value is to compare the adventure to a monster of a hit dice that is challenging to the party. The Castle Keeper can then award xps as if the party overcame that monster.

ROLE PLAYING: The Castle Keeper can also award specific characters xp bonuses for good role playing (or penalties for bad) in a specific situation or over the course of an adventure. A good range to award is 25 to 250 xps, depending on the level of the character.

So yeah, that's where I got the "xp for magic items but only after they've used it" bit. And according to that, they have to have owned it awhile too? So... Delayed XP?

vodokar
January 30th, 2017, 00:07
So, it sounds like I was wrong. The module might be tuned just fine for C&C; depending on DM's tastes. At any rate, these things are always up to the DM to decide what his campaign is going to be like. Excess money isn't really a problem, as there are always ways to remove said treasure from the characters, like training fees; just not being able to carry it all; thieves; resurrection fees or whatever. Magic items can be more problematic, but that's what Bahamut created "charges" for. Oops, the power just ran out. Sorry. Guess you'll have to go on a quest to get a new one.

Rlvaughn
March 13th, 2017, 12:10
MONEY
Although not all Castle Keepers do so, some award xp for non-magical
treasure. The Castle Keeper should award 1 xp to the party for every 1gp value
of non-magical treasure such as money, gems, art and other items acquired
during the adventure.

It's in the C&C players hand book pdf on PG 123. (quote)