PDA

View Full Version : "Database" of tables suggestions?

celestian
January 28th, 2017, 20:58
I am looking at having my sheets for AD&D automatically update for bonuse damage/hit/ac/henchmen for stats such as str/dex/char/etc instead of leaving the fields blank for a player to manually fill in. To that end I was wondering what is the best way to deal with a list of stats 1-25 and various variables per. Should I simply script and hard code them in the script? Or is there a more elegant method to manage it?

tldr; want to let players update ability scores and the associated adjustments for that to be automatic, where to store.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2017, 01:26
AD&D has some quite differing bonuses/additional abilities depending on the ability, so I don't think you'll be able to easily put them in a table and then apply them through generic code, you're probably better off hard coding them.

See what vodokar has done in his excellent AD&D ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset

vodokar
January 29th, 2017, 01:31
Yes, Celestian, the hard work has already been done, come check it out, please. Then sit back and enjoy.

celestian
January 29th, 2017, 07:45
Yes, Celestian, the hard work has already been done, come check it out, please. Then sit back and enjoy.

I'll certainly take a look see at it ;) Perhaps I can make use of the stats at least!

I've been fiddling with using 5e as a layer and there are a lot of things I've found that are very useful. With some minor tweaks I think it'll work for AD&D. I'm thinking it will also be very easy for me to convert my existing spell and creatures into the db.xml format which will save me tons of data entry for creatures/spells.