PDA

View Full Version : CoreRPG v3.2.2 Player side SnapToGrid

ronnke
January 28th, 2017, 07:25
The most recent release of CoreRPG disabled the ability for players to set SnapToGrid on and off. The players are forced to use whatever the GM has set when a grid is placed on a map. Even if the GM toggles the SnapToGrid (which works for the GM), the players are still stuck with whatever was set when the grid was originally added.

Is this the intended functionality or an introduced bug? If intended, then can I suggest an option be added to allow GM's to enable/disable player SnapToGrid as this is a feature both players and GMs use (at least in my games).

FYI: This was also posted in this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35553-Test-Release-v3-2-2&p=317502&viewfull=1#post317502) thread. Please remove if that was not the best place to put it.

damned
January 28th, 2017, 09:19
JPG is crook at the moment so it might be a few more days before replies are forthcoming...

ronnke
January 28th, 2017, 09:31
Fair enough. I wanted to know if I need to be altering the GURPS ruleset to add this functionality back. However, it would be nice if it stayed with CoreRPG, assuming it's not a bug.

ronnke
February 1st, 2017, 06:15
Any word on this?

ronnke
February 3rd, 2017, 03:52
"Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller..."

Our group had to suffer another arduous session with/without this bug/feature. It was painful and caused no end to the trauma. Our druid became catatonic when unable to center herself in the middle of the grid. The barbarian abused his boundaries, sometime stepping outside the lines causing monsters to question how their dinner could exist in the gap between two adjacent locations. It was mayhem, I tells ya. Mayhem!

Nah....I can't back any of that up, but it would be nice to know if this is a bug or the intended functionality. I can then go about fixing it (if intended), or not fixing it (if a bug).

Thanks!

Nickademus
February 3rd, 2017, 04:16
I'll be honest. I'm not sure what you are talking about. I wouldn't think the players would ever have control over the settings of a map. Are you saying that in the past the players could turn the snap-to-grid off and position their tokens wherever? Wouldn't this cause a disparity from what the GM sees? Or are you saying that the GM turning snap-to-grid on doesn't cause the player's tokens to snap? Isn't snap-to-grid turned on by default when you make a grid?

ronnke
February 3rd, 2017, 05:14
Prior to v3.2.2, the players could enable and disable snap to grid for their own token and it wouldn't affect what anyone else has set. Post v3.2.2, players no longer have this ability, more so, when the GM toggles snap2grid on or off, it will change for the GM, but not the players. The players are always stuck with the snap2grid mode the GM had set when the grid was put down or when it's adjusted via the toolbar. (ie If the GM has snap2grid on and then puts down the grid on a map or adjusts the an existing grid's size or position, then the players will be in snap2grid on. The GM can then toggle snap2grid off, but the players will still be on.) This may be related to an intermittent issue where the players end up snapping off center to the grid. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a sequence of events to reproduce this particular issue on demand.

Ideally, I would like the players to be able to set their own snap mode as they prefer. I understand some GMs may want to control the mode the tokens are in, so it would be great if this was an option in the options menu, where the GM can turn on/off the ability for players to set their snap2grid mode.

Since player snap2grid is no longer available, when it was before v3.2.2, I want to know if this is a bug or if that's now the expected functionality.

I hope that clarified things.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2017, 12:57
Not sure that it does clarify things, since I'm with Nickademus on this one. Players never had the option to snap to grid and in fact I can't find an option in the DM's options either for snap to grid. There's an option for auto scale but otherwise I'm not seeing it. Of course it might be a thing in a ruleset I'm not familiar with.

ronnke
February 3rd, 2017, 13:27
... in fact I can't find an option in the DM's options either for snap to grid.

Right click an image to bring up the radial menu, you can toggle snap2grid on and off. This was also available to players as I often used it, however, I admit it's possible player snap2grid was a specific ruleset thing and not in core. I no longer have an old core to test against.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2017, 13:34
Right click an image to bring up the radial menu, you can toggle snap2grid on and off. This was also available to players as I often used it, however, I admit it's possible player snap2grid was a specific ruleset thing and not in core. I no longer have an old core to test against.

Ok, so I've learned something new. Never used that so never spotted it before. The question now is what does it do? Since with it on or off it doesn't seem to do anything. Certainly there's no player option (in 5e which is based on coreRPG so I assume it's core function).

ronnke
February 3rd, 2017, 13:41
The question now is what does it do? Since with it on or off it doesn't seem to do anything.

You need to place a grid on the image before you see the functionality. Basically, when on, it will snap your tokens to the center of the grid square/hex. I will often disable snap2grid to and place 2 tokens half in the grid to signify those tokens as sharing the same grid square/hex.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2017, 14:00
You need to place a grid on the image before you see the functionality. Basically, when on, it will snap your tokens to the center of the grid square/hex. I will often disable snap2grid to and place 2 tokens half in the grid to signify those tokens as sharing the same grid square/hex.

That's what I assumed that it would do. However it actually appears to snap to various places on the grid such as the mid point on any side of a grid square or on an intersection. That's not a huge difference between that and putting the token slightly off centre or some other place which you can do with snap off. Again this is 5e I'm testing on so some other implementation might be available on another ruleset. The other thing that I'm noticing with all of this is that any movement change I make to a token either as a player or the DM is reflected immediately on the other screen. So, in other words the player and DM side are always the same. So I'm unsure why you might be seeing something different.

ronnke
February 3rd, 2017, 14:31
However it actually appears to snap to various places on the grid such as the mid point on any side of a grid square or on an intersection.
The other thing that I'm noticing with all of this is that any movement change I make to a token either as a player or the DM is reflected immediately on the other screen. So, in other words the player and DM side are always the same.

I play with a hex grid and it does not permit snapping to the center-edge or corners. If it did, that would be awesome.

If you now toggle snap to grid off, you will notice the GM can mode tokens without snapping, but the players are still in snap on mode.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2017, 15:43
Right, hex grids. I see what you mean, yes. The players are locked into the centre of the grid whatever setting the DM has. I don't know if this is intended or not. I will, however, find out.

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2017, 15:44
The <snap> XML definition in the Imagecontrol documentation suggests that it has been set that it is the GM who can set/chat it: "Defines whether tokens and pointers are automatically snapped to grid. Valid values are "on" and "off". If the underlying image database value already has a snap setting (specified by GM or imagecontrol), then this value is ignored on load."

I don't know if this is a very recent change to the base FG imagecontrol functionality, or if the ruleset/s where players could change this had it coded into a right-click menu to use snapToGrid: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/imagecontrol.xcp#snapToGrid

Moon Wizard
February 4th, 2017, 05:08
Ok, I took a look at this. I have no idea why this behavior would have changed, because nothing related to the imagecontrol was touched. In fact, I've been specifically avoiding any changes to the image control, since this is one of the areas where we are prototyping in FGU. Also, there are no changes in that section of the code base.

According to the code, here's what I found:
* The grid snap on/off functionality radial option should only be visible to the host.
* It looks like the grid snap functionality was never actually propagated to the client when changed, but would require a different grid change to trigger the propagation. (Technically, this is not the behavior I would expect, but has been around for many versions.)
* The vertex vs. vertex/center option for grid snap is only settable via the ruleset using the "snapsquare" and "snaphex" tags on the imagecontrol. The default for snapsquare is "vertexandcenter", and the default for snaphex is "center". To override, you need to add this tag to the imagecontrol.

So, the net result, if you want to allow vertex and center snapping for hex (which was specifically disabled because it becomes very fiddly with so many snap points and you're better off disabling), then you should modify the ruleset (or add an extension) to add the <snaphex>vertexandcenter</snaphex> tag to the imagecontrol in the "imagewindow" window class.

Also, if you want to toggle grid snap in game, you may need to make another change in the grid (shift left/right, for example) to force the grid snap change to propagate.

Regards,
JPG

ronnke
February 4th, 2017, 13:13
Thanks for the update.

For consideration in future updates, is it possible to add extra snap options? Currently we have "center" and "vertexandcenter", can we also get a "centeredgeandcenter" which would snap to the center of an edge line and also the grid center. This seems to be the default operation for "vertexandcenter" when used on a square grid, but not so with hex. I can't think of many hex based games which would utilise vertex snapping, but center-edge definitely has more utility.