PDA

View Full Version : Official Discord Server

ddavison
January 28th, 2017, 01:34
We are still playing around with the best setup and how we should encourage people to set up their own voice channels, but if you are looking to check it out and weigh in with your thoughts, feel free to hop on over.

This may or may not remain once we roll out the Unity version, but I expect it will remain a resource no matter where we choose to go with the Unity networking and lobby functionality.

https://discord.gg/VKbhkSt

kalmarjan
January 28th, 2017, 05:04
Excellent Doug! Are we able to stream from this Discord? This solves a problem for me. You guys are the greatest!

Bidmaron
January 28th, 2017, 13:08
Seems like this should be stickied somewhere or added to the streaming sticky?

ddavison
January 28th, 2017, 17:50
Seems like this should be stickied somewhere or added to the streaming sticky?

It is stickied in the Tavern currently. I can try to locate and add it to the Streaming post too.

ddavison
January 28th, 2017, 18:10
I added a link with a widget onto the main Site menu under Downloads > Voice and Video Conferencing.

spite
January 28th, 2017, 22:15
This is a Good Idea™
Whoever thought of it is a gosh darn genius.

Joined up :)

ddavison
January 28th, 2017, 22:35
I think you were one of the people that originally suggested it to us, right?

spite
January 28th, 2017, 22:44
I think you were one of the people that originally suggested it to us, right?

Yea a cheeky reference :P
Hopefully it works out for finding games easier. I look forward to utilising it myself

Calisto
January 29th, 2017, 05:40
This is a nice addition, thanks for creating the server Doug. I see that Discord has video as an upcoming feature which I am very much looking forward to. The fewer hoops I and my players have to jump through to add audio chat, video and music streaming the better. I love FG as is but can't wait to learn more about what Unity will have to offer!

wthrasherb
February 2nd, 2017, 19:31
How is Discord going to affect TeamSpeak? Is there still going to be a TeamSpeak server as well? Is Discord a better choice than TeamSpeak? When I am DMing my games I have 3 different audio lines that I use: 1 for voice, one for sound fx and one dedicated to music. Will Discord allow me to run a similar set up?

Thanks! Looking forward to new things!

ddavison
February 2nd, 2017, 19:34
The Teamspeak server will remain as long as it continues to get hosted. It is not actually hosted by SmiteWorks.

Regarding running multiple discord users with different audio content on each channel, you'll have to wait and see if someone else more familiar with Discord can weigh in on that one. I'm not sure.

spite
February 2nd, 2017, 20:30
You can run multiple line inputs into Discord, though it all goes through the one logged in account (there are guides on google to do this), or you can run from a different machine/device. There is no support for multiple instances of Discord running at the same time.

damned
February 2nd, 2017, 21:40
I think we will re-evaluate TS after FG-Con.
There is still a good number of groups using it so we shall see what the status is in a couple of months.

Nulk
February 2nd, 2017, 22:06
Spite,
Use this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7dVeJhTKaE to create a second instance of Discord.

You can use this second instance directly with Syrinscape, and can skip over the instructions with Foobar if you don't need another player but I find Foobar a great way to add additional music if required, overlaying with Syrinscape sounds as well if you wish.

Nulk

Andraax
February 2nd, 2017, 22:07
You can run multiple line inputs into Discord, though it all goes through the one logged in account (there are guides on google to do this)

And until this is changed, I will not use it for my games. I want my players to be able to adjust the volume of (or mute) the background sounds while not affecting my voice as GM. If all sounds go through my single connection, then if they mute the background sounds, they mute me as well.

Nickademus
February 3rd, 2017, 00:36
I think we will re-evaluate TS after FG-Con.
There is still a good number of groups using it so we shall see what the status is in a couple of months.

I tried to use Discord for a game a while back. It kept booting the GM and after two sessions he just switched back to using Team Speak. I hope the option of Team Speak never goes away (I mean I doubt it will because if Discord doesn't work for me I'll just host my own FG TS.)

Phystus
February 4th, 2017, 15:51
From their terms of service...

Any data, text, graphics, photographs and their selection and arrangement, and any other materials uploaded to the Service by you is “Your Data.” You represent and warrant that Your Data is original to you and that you exclusively own the rights to such content, including the right to grant all of the rights and licenses in these Terms without the Company incurring any third party obligations or liability arising out of its exercise of such rights and licenses. All of Your Data is your sole responsibility and the Company is not responsible for any material that you upload, post, or otherwise make available.
By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy.

I'm no copyright lawyer, but it sounds to me that this doesn't play very well with 3rd party content (modules, music, sound effects, etc.)

~P

ddavison
February 4th, 2017, 17:05
From their terms of service...

I'm no copyright lawyer, but it sounds to me that this doesn't play very well with 3rd party content (modules, music, sound effects, etc.)

~P

You shouldn't be uploading any 3pp stuff to discord. The voice is streamed and not recorded, so even that is off the table. If you post something in chat, pick a username or fill out a profile, they can use that data. None of FG's stuff actually passes through Discord at all.

KenPT
February 6th, 2017, 02:04
I too am concerned about the language from Discord's terms of service that Phystus quotes. That trope about "if you're not paying for a product, YOU are the product" seems to apply here. Discord's business model, based on their TOS, appears to be based on the sale of customer data, unlike the European privacy policy and terms of service of TeamSpeak. I don't use FaceBook or other services for the same reasons.

If there's a challenge with FG providing TS service moving forward, I'm happy to chip in. And if you're wondering if I also wear a tin-foil beanie, I'll point to its very nifty propeller. :bandit:

Happy gaming!

Ken

Nickademus
February 6th, 2017, 14:22
You shouldn't be uploading any 3pp stuff to discord. The voice is streamed and not recorded, so even that is off the table. If you post something in chat, pick a username or fill out a profile, they can use that data. None of FG's stuff actually passes through Discord at all.

Streaming would be covered under 'transmitting' since the data does go through their server before being sent to the players. As long as 'audio assets' isn't added to the list of what is "Your Data", things should be fine. But as soon as they do add audio clips to it, all the Syrinscape files come into conflict.

Andraax
February 6th, 2017, 14:27
Streaming would be covered under 'transmitting' since the data does go through their server before being sent to the players. As long as 'audio assets' isn't added to the list of what is "Your Data", things should be fine. But as soon as they do add audio clips to it, all the Syrinscape files come into conflict.

"Audio Assets" would be part of "Data".

Nickademus
February 6th, 2017, 15:43
I don't think so. They specifically separate text and photos, so I believe that 'data' refers to something else. Raw data hash tables maybe. I would definitely contact them to get more information as those ToS are a bit overbearing.

ddavison
February 6th, 2017, 17:11
It's a fair concern with anything that is "free". I see a lot of services that start out with free, try to get the user count up as high as possible and then try to monetize those users -- either with ads, premium features or just by trying to sell the company to a big buyer who will then look to monetize it.

I use Google, though, and that is pretty much what they did. They have and use data on my search habits and browsing to advertise junk to me that they think I will like. If that gets too annoying, I'll look for another service to use instead but ultimately I will expect the same sort of deal unless I'm paying for it not to do that.

Phystus
February 7th, 2017, 13:39
It seems to me music and other audio assets would fall into the "any other materials" bucket, and would therefore be subject to the TOS. There certainly isn't any exception noted for audio.

~P

swest
March 6th, 2017, 18:48
I am happy that there is an IRC platform for Fantasy Grounds users, but if I can't figure out how to turn off those annoying post bleeps (they're driving me bonkers), I'm going to have to shut it down...

I can find nothing that affects those. The 'User Settings' is pretty pointless, as it only allows one to change ones password.

Does anyone know how to turn off the audio bleep on the post notifications?

Thanks.

- s.west

EDIT:

Never mind. I found it. It's tied to the individual channel... so, on the Fantasy Grounds channel, at the top, click on the pull-down, and you'll get a window that lets you change notification settings.

!!

- s.west

The Hawk and Sparrow
April 6th, 2017, 13:00
Hey folks! My group is beginning to ask about Discord. We currently use Teamspeak. Other than it being free, what other advantages to Discord am I missing? Thanks!

wthrasherb
April 6th, 2017, 21:46
I have recently made the switch to Discord. It seems a little more user friendly overall. Sound quality SEEMS better, but that could just be my imagination. I use sound FX and music in my games, so setting that up in discord took a bit more work upfront than it did on TeamSpeak, but in the end I like it better. It is easy to invite people and get connected. If you are using the Fantasy Grounds TeamSpeak server, there's always the chance it could go away in the future (purely hypothetical, please don't read into that)...

It just seems like a cleaner, more stable set up overall.

That's my 2 cents... :)

Andraax
April 6th, 2017, 23:04
If you are using the Fantasy Grounds TeamSpeak server, there's always the chance it could go away in the future

And if you're using the Discord server, there's always the chance it could go away in the future...

The Hawk and Sparrow
April 7th, 2017, 13:43
Thanks!

The Hawk and Sparrow
April 7th, 2017, 13:44
Thanks! I paid for space on Teamspeak, so that is locked in. I told my group I was considering the other, but it looks like I'll stick with TS for now. Your comments were helpful. Cheers!

Andraax
April 7th, 2017, 14:28
And if you're using the Discord server, there's always the chance it could go away in the future...

And, as a note: you can download the server code for Teamspeak and run your own server if you want (so that even if every other Teamspeak server went away and the company went out of business, you could continue to use Teamspeak). As far as I know, this is not true for Discord - if the company goes away, so does the server.

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2017, 16:24
Thanks! I paid for space on Teamspeak, so that is locked in. I told my group I was considering the other, but it looks like I'll stick with TS for now. Your comments were helpful. Cheers!
FYI, there is a community TS server you can use free of charge.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

The Hawk and Sparrow
April 8th, 2017, 20:25
Thank you m'lord. :)

whiteTiki
May 15th, 2017, 04:37
Great! Love this!

ChristiCahn
August 31st, 2017, 03:27
FYI, there is a community TS server you can use free (https://vogueplay.com/br/slot-machines-no-brasil/) of charge.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

Oh, thanks for that link!
A community TS server is always a good choice, at least for me.
Can't get used to discord yet...

Nylanfs
August 31st, 2017, 12:07
Welcome to the forums and FG community Christi!

hpdonat
November 27th, 2017, 09:04
How long is the current sale running for? Also, as far as sales go, is there a resource that informs of future sales and sale duration? I often procrastinate when purchasing stuff, often times missing the sale opportunities.

damned
November 27th, 2017, 09:40
How long is the current sale running for? Also, as far as sales go, is there a resource that informs of future sales and sale duration? I often procrastinate when purchasing stuff, often times missing the sale opportunities.

If you want something when its on sale - push the button :)
Most companies dont advertise sales in advance.
This sale is about to conclude.

Its a fairly safe bet there will be another Sale when Steam has their Summer Sale but who knows what products will be on sale at that time...

ddavison
November 27th, 2017, 14:48
This sale runs through midnight EST and on Steam through 10 AM Pacific.

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2017, 17:01
I also suggest you sign up for the newsletter; https://www.facebook.com/fantasygrounds/app/100265896690345/

Silversteel
January 25th, 2018, 14:14
We're currently using discord in my game to stream video, not voice, as its less intensive than Skype. Our group is in 2 different rooms in 2 different cities, with a mike and camera in each picking up the whole room, and discord showing on the tv in each room. Then each player has FG on a laptop. As close to tabletop gaming as we can get it, with the feel of tabletop gaming in the same room, and the functionality of FG

Topdecker
April 23rd, 2018, 03:37
Might want to integrate discord rich presence info into FG.... Might be a nice way for GMs to fill an open slot.

https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/rich-presence/how-to

Yeah, I know, Unity version maybe :)

Hasmine Kekistano
October 5th, 2018, 05:27
I know for sure discord is able to play music I'm not sure on how though.

Grommit57
October 5th, 2018, 23:41
Most people I know that play music thru Discord use Syrinscape. I don't use it but I'm pretty sure there is a topic here for setting it up.

dyoung522
October 8th, 2018, 16:39
I know for sure discord is able to play music I'm not sure on how though.

In case you haven't already found the answer (or for others that see this and would like to know), here's a great starting point on how to do it. Works great.

https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/syrinscape-protip-08-using-syrinscape-with-discord-for-online-play/709

Bidmaron
October 8th, 2018, 19:37
Thanks for helping with this and welcome to the forums!

Flyndad123
October 23rd, 2018, 17:10
I
s the invite link at the beginning of this thread still a usable invite? Can't find out how to join the Discord server to ask a question about why all the rulesets in the library are "broken"?

ddavison
October 23rd, 2018, 17:15
You can use the link from the website under Help > Discord Server.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/Discord.php

You can also post any questions here. What do you mean about rulesets in the library being broken?

Hector Trelane
April 10th, 2019, 21:10
How is Discord going to affect TeamSpeak? Is there still going to be a TeamSpeak server as well? Is Discord a better choice than TeamSpeak? When I am DMing my games I have 3 different audio lines that I use: 1 for voice, one for sound fx and one dedicated to music. Will Discord allow me to run a similar set up?

Thanks! Looking forward to new things!

I use a sound effects set up via Discord pioneered by Gwydion, which has worked like a charm. It uses Cleanfeed, a free sight, plus Voicemeter Banana (paid software but not too expensive. I think this is optional but probably worth getting.)

Here's a link
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42455-On-the-hunt-for-better-sound-streaming-Testing-Cleanfeed-(Chrome-browser-only!)