PDA

View Full Version : Noob to FG Round 4

Dwayne Squires
January 27th, 2017, 18:53
So making great progress; created my first adventure module and then exported it. Now, trying to pull it into my main campaign I have run into some interesting problems.

1st) Maps and images. All my maps Titles/links pulled over in the Maps and Images list but two of my maps did not come across correctly. I think I know what is wrong so just looking to see if I am correct or doing something wrong. So two images that did not export correctly are really just drawings I created on a blank map field. I.E. you hit new image but do not link it to a .jpg or .png file you get a grey screen. I hand drew too crude pictures and then saved them (or thought I did as they worked perfectly in the original campaign I built them in). However, when I exported and then move to my actual campaign and open the module. The Title/links show up on the list but when I open them they are blank. The actual drawings did not come across. I know I can fix this by creating the drawings in paint and saving them as an actual file but is there something else I am missing? It appears the drawings you make in FG do not actually save.

So I built my module and then found a great video by Zorn. I like some of what he did and may change my methods in my next build but that depends because things have updated since Zorn created his video. I put this out as a pretext for my next comments.

2nd) NPCs and Items. So when I built my module I simply pulled NPCs and Items from the Complete MM or Complete DMG that I purchased (which didn't seem to exist when Zorn made his video). So I didn't bother creating my own list of NPCs or items that exist only in that one module. I do not think this will be a problem for me as I can use the MM and DMG in any campaign instance I set up. So I think I am good here. I did not intend to share these modules out. I can understand why I would need to if I were going to do so.

However, the hard copy module I used to create my first FG module needed some help. The hard copy was 2.5e and I am moving to 5e with FG. Part of my learning curve was getting up to date with all the new rules. But back to the point. Some of the old NPCs did not make it to from 2.5e to 5e, also some of them changed significantly. For example the hard copy called for three "traders". But "traders" are not in the new MM. I ended up using "commoner" and just renaming them on my NPC list in a new group I called "Specials". Likewise the old game called for "Mediums" which were supposed to be 1st level mages. However, the new MM and DMG only had "Archmage" and "Mage" both which were higher levels. So I made my own "Mediums" entry. I created a "Special" for items as well because I could not find a cursed shortsword in the DMG list or "trapped chests" which I created with actions for the type of trap. Now I can spring the trap right from the chest item entry. There were probably other ways to deal with a trap but I haven't seen any and this is what I thought of.

So to my question. Since I took the time to create these I would like to be able to reference them in any instance of FG I start. I would like to do so without having to link to all the modules I create. So I think the simple solution is to just keep adding my own "special" NPCs and items but to add them directly to the MM or DMG list instead of my own special list. I believe this will work. Haven't tested it out yet though.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone is keeping a list of great lessons learned but maybe these could be addressed in some of the new videos being made or even in a Best Practices guide.

Again, I appreciate all the help I have received to date. I found Zorn's three videos to be some of the best. They seem well put together and followed a good logical sequence. I especially liked the "Fast Forward" mode with the silly music.

I wrote what I hope is a good review for FG in Steam. I have never tried d20 or any of the other software for D&D but from what I researched they are nowhere near as comprehensive as FG. Can't wait to see what improvements SmiteWorks makes next. Glad to see WoTWC allowed the licensing because I would never have bought 5e books without having found Fantasy Grounds in which to use it. (And you can quote me on that!) This thing is really come a long ways it appears by some of the older videos I saw. Keep up the great work.

Andraax
January 27th, 2017, 19:41
I have a "custom monsters" module that put all my customized monsters / NPCs in if I intend to re-use them. Just open that module in a campaign, voila, there they are. If you over-ride or add new creatures to the MM in a campaign, those changes are saved *only* in that campaign (you won't see changes made to a module in other campaigns that use the same module).

This is nice, because I can make changes in a module due to PC actions, but any other campaigns that use the same module do not "see" those changes.

Dwayne Squires
January 27th, 2017, 20:17
Hmm, so it appears adding NPCs to a list doesn't actually add them to that module. So that debunks that idea.

Thanks, Andraax. I guess I will have to do the same thing. At least then it is only one additional module to load.

Andraax
January 27th, 2017, 21:19
Well, really, I just open that module in the campaigns that I use to make my adventures. I copy needed NPCs from there into the adventure campaign (and thence to the adventure module). This way I don't have to open that module in the main campaign - opening the adventure pulls in everything I need for that adventure.

Dwayne Squires
January 27th, 2017, 21:30
ah, I was thinking of making an Module that contained only custom NPCs, Items, and maybe spells, backgrounds, etc. without story, quests, or encounters. Also If I decided to run separate groups of people from different campaigns I can easily pull in all modifications I have made.

Andraax
January 27th, 2017, 22:00
Yeah, it just depends on whether you do all of your gaming as adventures, or if you run lots of "off the cuff" stuff.

damned
January 28th, 2017, 00:13
So making great progress; created my first adventure module and then exported it. Now, trying to pull it into my main campaign I have run into some interesting problems.

1st) Maps and images. All my maps Titles/links pulled over in the Maps and Images list but two of my maps did not come across correctly. I think I know what is wrong so just looking to see if I am correct or doing something wrong. So two images that did not export correctly are really just drawings I created on a blank map field. I.E. you hit new image but do not link it to a .jpg or .png file you get a grey screen. I hand drew too crude pictures and then saved them (or thought I did as they worked perfectly in the original campaign I built them in). However, when I exported and then move to my actual campaign and open the module. The Title/links show up on the list but when I open them they are blank. The actual drawings did not come across. I know I can fix this by creating the drawings in paint and saving them as an actual file but is there something else I am missing? It appears the drawings you make in FG do not actually save.

So I built my module and then found a great video by Zorn. I like some of what he did and may change my methods in my next build but that depends because things have updated since Zorn created his video. I put this out as a pretext for my next comments.

2nd) NPCs and Items. So when I built my module I simply pulled NPCs and Items from the Complete MM or Complete DMG that I purchased (which didn't seem to exist when Zorn made his video). So I didn't bother creating my own list of NPCs or items that exist only in that one module. I do not think this will be a problem for me as I can use the MM and DMG in any campaign instance I set up. So I think I am good here. I did not intend to share these modules out. I can understand why I would need to if I were going to do so.

However, the hard copy module I used to create my first FG module needed some help. The hard copy was 2.5e and I am moving to 5e with FG. Part of my learning curve was getting up to date with all the new rules. But back to the point. Some of the old NPCs did not make it to from 2.5e to 5e, also some of them changed significantly. For example the hard copy called for three "traders". But "traders" are not in the new MM. I ended up using "commoner" and just renaming them on my NPC list in a new group I called "Specials". Likewise the old game called for "Mediums" which were supposed to be 1st level mages. However, the new MM and DMG only had "Archmage" and "Mage" both which were higher levels. So I made my own "Mediums" entry. I created a "Special" for items as well because I could not find a cursed shortsword in the DMG list or "trapped chests" which I created with actions for the type of trap. Now I can spring the trap right from the chest item entry. There were probably other ways to deal with a trap but I haven't seen any and this is what I thought of.

So to my question. Since I took the time to create these I would like to be able to reference them in any instance of FG I start. I would like to do so without having to link to all the modules I create. So I think the simple solution is to just keep adding my own "special" NPCs and items but to add them directly to the MM or DMG list instead of my own special list. I believe this will work. Haven't tested it out yet though.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone is keeping a list of great lessons learned but maybe these could be addressed in some of the new videos being made or even in a Best Practices guide.

Again, I appreciate all the help I have received to date. I found Zorn's three videos to be some of the best. They seem well put together and followed a good logical sequence. I especially liked the "Fast Forward" mode with the silly music.

I wrote what I hope is a good review for FG in Steam. I have never tried d20 or any of the other software for D&D but from what I researched they are nowhere near as comprehensive as FG. Can't wait to see what improvements SmiteWorks makes next. Glad to see WoTWC allowed the licensing because I would never have bought 5e books without having found Fantasy Grounds in which to use it. (And you can quote me on that!) This thing is really come a long ways it appears by some of the older videos I saw. Keep up the great work.

You might ask the image question in the 3.2.2 thread. I would have thought they would export but also these new images are kinda like masks - its just a blank mask layer and you draw on it... and masks dont export... ask the question where JPG might see it.

As they are for you own use and the corebooks will always be available I think you will be ok.

To keep those NPCs in other campaigns you will need to keep adding them in your prep campaign and re-exporting the module... you can edit the MM in your campaign but the changes are only in that campaign. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

You might look at using NPCs as traps.

damned
January 28th, 2017, 00:13
And thumbs up for reviewing on Steam!

Dwayne Squires
January 28th, 2017, 00:36
Damned,

Thanks, after seeing Andraax's post. I rethought about how I would do custom designs and keep exporting them. Going to use a module I will call "Custom Designs". I will update everything there and then import that one module every time just like I would the 5e core books.

Also you are correct I misstated my trap fix. I did it as a NPC not item.

LordEntrails
January 28th, 2017, 03:51

Anyway, I don't know if anyone is keeping a list of great lessons learned but maybe these could be addressed in some of the new videos being made or even in a Best Practices guide. ...

As I think you noticed, you can't modify the official books, etc. But you can make a module of your own that stacks or layers on top ofone.

If I hadn't pointed you there yet, check out; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices