PDA

View Full Version : XP and level

bnickelsen
January 27th, 2017, 17:08
Is the XP for each level coded into 5E? Is there any reason I can not change the amount needed? It seems to me that the number is arbitrary and the field on the character sheet is for reference only?

Nylanfs
January 27th, 2017, 17:17
I believe the number is for reference only.

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2017, 17:49
It is indeed for reference only. The figures are taken out of the PHB, and I'm not sure why they would need changing.

bnickelsen
January 27th, 2017, 18:30
I personally think players level too fast. The option to slow down leveling is a reduce Xp awarded or increase Xp needed.

I wanted to reduce the award but FG has tied the Xp to CR thus reducing the Xp lowers the CR and that makes it harder to plan. So the next option is to increase the required amount to level. I just hope that there is not something hidden or linked to the original amounts.

Dracius
January 27th, 2017, 18:40
Just lower the XP of the encounter before awarding it.

I had a very large encounter build this week but manually adjusted the XP value before awarding it since the group didn't fully complete it.

That's the tedious way to do it though, just changing the XP to level should be sufficient.

vodokar
January 27th, 2017, 18:48
You can award any amount of XP you want or not even use XP. Many just award levels when the story requires it or tie it to achieving certain plot points. XP being tied to CR isn't meant to tie the DM's hands.

Also, if you feel modern games level too fast, you might consider trying out some of the old school games; you certainly won't say that about AD&D.

bnickelsen
January 27th, 2017, 18:56
You can award any amount of XP you want or not even use XP. Many just award levels when the story requires it or tie it to achieving certain plot points. XP being tied to CR isn't meant to tie the DM's hands.

Also, if you feel modern games level too fast, you might consider trying out some of the old school games; you certainly won't say that about AD&D.

It is AD&D that helped form my opinion.

vodokar
January 27th, 2017, 19:23
I figured as much. Just a service anouncement that that ruleset is currently available as an option on Fantasy Grounds.

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2017, 21:44
As noted above if you think the levelling is too fast don't use XP at all. use the milestone alternative that is detailed in the DMG and is used for many of the published adventures.

Eru the One
January 27th, 2017, 21:54
I do a mix. For levels 1-3 I usually award XP, then switch to milestone/keeping independent track of XP and control the growth of the party to where I feel appropriate.

I believe WotC said as much in the playtest (maybe after as well, memory is failing me) that they wanted the first few levels being fast and then slow down.

damned
January 28th, 2017, 00:15
I pretty much level up on milestones these days.... so I dont award XP as we go.

Trenloe
January 28th, 2017, 03:54
Or just set higher XP per level, Double what is needed, or whatever.

the XP awarded from an encounter will still produce a relevant CR for encounter balancing (if you're worried about that). Just award usual experience but change the amount needed to reach the next level. There's nothing in FG that forces a level up.