PDA

View Full Version : Fallback if MM is not owned

Myrdin Potter
January 26th, 2017, 07:12
If I create a module and I use the MM to link for encounters and someone opens it that does not have the MM, does the link fall back to the SRD? Same thing for magic items from the DMG, if the DM using it does not have the DMG, does it fall back to the SRD item with the same name?

Can I drag a MM entry to the NPC list in the campaign to create a copy and then use that copy in the module made from the campaign and that carries over to others using the module? They don't need the MM or Volos?

vodokar
January 26th, 2017, 07:34
If you have a link to anything and that thing isn't there, it doesn't fall back to anything, unless that other thing had exactly the same name in the xml, which isn't likely. It would simply not work.

If you make a copy of the item by dragging it from the source, then close that source, it still works, because it is no longer a link, you made a copy.

Problem is, you might not be allowed legally to do so if that item is not covered under the ogl. If you are not certain the person using your module will own the source of your information, you might have to default to using the srd, which you are certain they will.

I'm running into a similar situation with tokens. I had to use letter tokens, because it is the only tokens I know everyone here has.

Bottom line is to use the srd whenever you can. Using links from the MM or other sources that not everyone may have is problematic, because it won't work for everyone.

Myrdin Potter
January 26th, 2017, 07:37
If I publish on the DMS Guild, then the OGL restrictions do not apply.

Looks like I will need to make copies into the module and sell via the DMS Guild only.

A little complicated if the images come over, as artwork is not fair game, so will have to think about that and make a few inquiries.

Wookiee420
January 26th, 2017, 07:38
if you are the GM then you can share all your books and they will have everything, its in the library under modules, just drop the check mark on the proper book, don't forget the players have to go in there and open the book

vodokar
January 26th, 2017, 07:40
Why would the images come over also? npc records and encounters are exported separately from images.

vodokar
January 26th, 2017, 07:41
if you are the GM then you can share all your books and they will have everything, its in the library under modules, just drop the check mark on the proper book, don't forget the players have to go in there and open the book

That is true, Wookiee420, but Mrydin is talking about a commercial module he is making, not one for his home campaign.

Wookiee420
January 26th, 2017, 07:49
well i dont feel like reading fully, i just want to give the advice i can....wanna fight? :D

Myrdin Potter
January 26th, 2017, 07:49
I need to check on the images and tokens by doing a test. If any of the tokens come over, then you have an issue as art is protected differently in the DMS Guild.

damned
January 26th, 2017, 08:00
If I create a module and I use the MM to link for encounters and someone opens it that does not have the MM, does the link fall back to the SRD? Same thing for magic items from the DMG, if the DM using it does not have the DMG, does it fall back to the SRD item with the same name?

Can I drag a MM entry to the NPC list in the campaign to create a copy and then use that copy in the module made from the campaign and that carries over to others using the module? They don't need the MM or Volos?

Im fairly sure that you cant include MM or Volos content in stuff you want to publish or otherwise share.

damned
January 26th, 2017, 08:01
If you have a link to anything and that thing isn't there, it doesn't fall back to anything, unless that other thing had exactly the same name in the xml, which isn't likely. It would simply not work.

If you make a copy of the item by dragging it from the source, then close that source, it still works, because it is no longer a link, you made a copy.

Problem is, you might not be allowed legally to do so if that item is not covered under the ogl. If you are not certain the person using your module will own the source of your information, you might have to default to using the srd, which you are certain they will.

I'm running into a similar situation with tokens. I had to use letter tokens, because it is the only tokens I know everyone here has.

Bottom line is to use the srd whenever you can. Using links from the MM or other sources that not everyone may have is problematic, because it won't work for everyone.

Vodokar - unless you want specific letter tokens there is no need to include them as FG will add letter tokens to any NPCs that dont have them when you drag them into the CT.

damned
January 26th, 2017, 08:02
well i dont feel like reading fully, i just want to give the advice i can....wanna fight? :D

Hey Wookiee - do NOT share MM or DMG or Volos with your players, or Adventure Modules either. Only PHB and other Modules specifically intended for players.
And no fighting allowed unless it involves dice.

Myrdin Potter
January 26th, 2017, 08:12
Im fairly sure that you cant include MM or Volos content in stuff you want to publish or otherwise share.

In the DMs Guild, they specifically make the 5e D&D rulebooks available. You can use beholders and other up restricted in the OGL and all the PHB material that is not in the OGL. Art is still forbidden and protected.

damned
January 26th, 2017, 08:47
In the DMs Guild, they specifically make the 5e D&D rulebooks available. You can use behilders and other up restricted in the OGL and all the PHB material that is not in the OGL. Art is still forbidden and protected.

Then you should bounce it off SmiteWorks and make sure they let you use the IP that belongs to them but you will probably be ok.

Talyn
January 26th, 2017, 14:04
What was suggested to me, and therefore what I've been doing to all the content I produce, is to not link to anything, just put a copy of the NPC is my module. That way the GM has the published stats and doesn't have to have a MM/Bestiary module loaded. Same way the books/PDF give you the stats on the page instead of referring you to another book. Now, since you're doing original content not a reproduction, the art will still be something to check into.

Myrdin Potter
January 26th, 2017, 15:51
The DMs Guild specifically gives you permission to use the stats block as well. They suggest that you do not repeat the whole MM entry, as that does not really help the DM, and you can only use art that they put into the program (or your own art).

I just need to see if the token from the MM comes over when I make a copy into the NPC records, which I will figure out once coffee works it's magic.

The DMS Guild is also a safe and approved place to sell FG modules, art is just a tricky thing.

I can always do two versions of the .mod file if it is an issue. One with links to the WoTC source books and then you get the tokens and art, and another with the NPC copied in and make sure the WoTC art tokens do not come over.

Talyn
January 26th, 2017, 16:04
As long as you drag the NPC to the NPC Window before you drag it anywhere else, then yes, the data is copied with the correct reference to the MM module database. At least if I look in the campaign db.xml -- I'm not sure those references remain intact if you /export.

Nickademus
January 26th, 2017, 16:27

I don't really link to the purchase modules, but I believe if you use a wildcard (the asterisk in: 'reference.somedata.something@*') FG will pull the asset from any and all modules that have the same xml element name (such as 'fighter' for the fighter class). This is how the ruleset is setup for certain things since it accesses assets in the SRD, Basic Rules, Class Packs and Complete Class Pack (PHB) from a single reference.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2017, 16:33
You can also link to the standard Creature, Character or Monster tokens/pogs that come with FG. As an FYI - Token modules don't have to be activated, just installed, for a token reference to work - this is an exception, all other FG module records need the module activated.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2017, 16:35
I don't really link to the purchase modules, but I believe if you use a wildcard (the asterisk in: 'reference.somedata.something@*') FG will pull the asset from any and all modules that have the same xml element name (such as 'fighter' for the fighter class).
Correct.

Always do a couple of tests though - i.e. with just the SRD activated, then just the DMG/PHB activated, etc..

vodokar
January 26th, 2017, 20:03
You can also link to the standard Creature, Character or Monster tokens/pogs that come with FG. As an FYI - Token modules don't have to be activated, just installed, for a token reference to work - this is an exception, all other FG module records need the module activated.

That is good to know, but I have so many tokens sets I have collected over the years that I don't remember which ones came with FG. I'll have to do some testing.

Talyn
January 26th, 2017, 20:20
As @damned recently taught me, if the NPC has no token associated, FG now automatically assigns the appropriate Letter Token from the built-in letter token pack. Saves the trouble of manually coding the NPCs with letter tokens.