PDA

View Full Version : Merchant Generator Mod

JimSocks
January 26th, 2017, 06:20
Hi everybody!

I have been working on my merchant generator now for awhile, and I am putting it up here for your review!

Introducing "Merchant Generator 2017" !!!

I hope somebody gets use out of it. My PCs rarely encounter merchants, but when they do I like to make it an experience and not just a flavorless stop- this makes that a whole lot easier!

What's included (you'll find all of these listed in order inside the Table window category "01 Merchant Generators":

1. Inside the table "01 - Merchant Generator Templates" you'll find a handy list of Story templates that generate Shops, Shopkeepers, Chat bubbles for your PCs to read, Inventories, and Price data that differs between poor and rich shops, as well as between tiny, medium, and large shops. In your Tables window, there will be a category called "01 Merchant Generators" which is really the one-stop shop for everything this mod offers. There is another table category named "02 Merchant Generators Back End" which has the tables that do all the heavy lifting behind the scenes (you shouldn't need to mess with those ever unless you wanted to tinker around.)

2. A "02 - Big City Random Shops!" table, which is designed to help bring some fun and levity to a metropolis business district scene. I adapted this from a redditor named JustaFleshW0und, and it's really fun. Unlike the rest of the generators which output to new Story entries, this defaults to chat output so as not to cram your story windows with random junk as your PCs wander around the city.

3. A "03 - Casual NPC Generator" which quickly gives some NPC overview details for those walk-on extras. This was adapted from the work of WilliamJFox, and it helps power some of the behind-the-scenes Shopkeeper generation as well.

4. A "04 - Detailed NPC Generator" which swiftly generates an NPC with a class, background, personality traits, flaws, bonds, etc. It's very handy for NPCs that might end up in a little deeper role-play. This powers the Additional (or alternate) Shopkeeper Details, and was adapted from the work of Hecklerus Prime.

Notes:

A. I designed this with the plan to use it alongside Dulux-Oz's "DOE: Locations" extension. This way I can generate a store, NPC Shopkeeper that is deep and interesting, and a full inventory which can be dropped into the extension for shopping by my PCs.

B. I went to great pains to make the Shopkeeper names race-appropriate, but this also meant I couldn't link the shopkeepers name anywhere else in the template (link referencing child and grandchild tables only works one way, and it's the wrong direction for this purpose). If this ever changes, I will re-visit to make the Shopkeeper's names appear in some of the Shop Names (like "Greg's Supply"), as well as make the shopkeeper name more prominent in the template result, as it is only in one easy-to-miss line right now out of necessity.

C. Some of the races double up right now. "The shopkeeper is a Hill Dwarf, that is a Mountain Dwarf, that is male. His name is..." My suggestion for now is to just pick your favorite, as fixing that double-up currently breaks something else.

D. I know there is a LOT of information spit out for the shopkeeper, but I really like it like that. I can take what I like and leave what I don't, and swiftly flesh out a deep, believable, or sometimes funny shopkeeper even on-the-fly. Sometimes I just use the top brief description, sometimes I toss in the additional deeper details, and I always keep the "wants" and "fears" in my head in case the PCs trigger something!

D. If you encounter errors, lets fix them together!

E. If you make it better- post your work! Be sure to give credit to those mentioned above :)

Dyark
January 26th, 2017, 10:41
Wow nice work, I like it and will use it

Thegroo
January 27th, 2017, 01:33
Thank you so much

Reese_Kracus
January 27th, 2017, 02:27
Nice to see that you continue to update this mod. Keep up the great work!

irish_carbomb
January 27th, 2017, 20:06
This is great thanks for the work. This is exactly what I need, and I had the same idea to build random shops and save them in DOE: Locations

Thanks

JimSocks
January 28th, 2017, 01:53
Keep your eyes peeled here: I am already working on improvements and additions (Taverns!)

JimSocks
January 29th, 2017, 06:00
Hello everyone!

Head on over to https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36405-Merchants-Taverns-Side-Quests-and-NPCs-JimSocks-s-quot-Content-Generator-2017-quot-Module&p=317782#post317782 and download the latest and greatest version of this- not only is it better for generating merchants, but it now also does taverns, side quests, and more!

(Ditch the Merchant Generator 2017 mod from this thread, as version 2.0 of it is included inside the Content Generator 2017 mod found at the link above)