PDA

View Full Version : slow to join game?

kneebone
January 26th, 2017, 01:55
Anyone else having problems in the last week or so joining a game? On Saturday, it took almost an hour to get into a room and tonight our group is on standby while we wait to join. Maybe someone has a pro tip? Thanks, sorry if this is not the forum for such an inquiry.

vodokar
January 26th, 2017, 01:56
DM should make sure he isn't sharing a bunch of tokens or other items that aren't needed for the players. That should cut down on the campaign download times. A mistake I have made in the past.

kneebone
January 26th, 2017, 02:00
Ok, thanks. It seems to be the same stuff we've been using since August and our load times have been reasonable up until recently.

LordEntrails
January 26th, 2017, 02:08
Have people join at different times, especially if the GM/host or you are all on the same wireless network.

damned
January 26th, 2017, 02:14
The connection time is based on how long it takes to upload all shared changes on the GMs computer to each of the connecting players.
I think the PHB and others have been updated recently.
What other books is the GM sharing to you all?

Go into your /cache folder in the FG Data folder and report back how big the current campaigns cache folder is.

kneebone
January 26th, 2017, 02:15
We tried that, two guys can get in, two of us are hanging forever. It's a bit of a mystery.

damned
January 26th, 2017, 02:25
We tried that, two guys can get in, two of us are hanging forever. It's a bit of a mystery.

Tried what?
How big is the cache file?

kneebone
January 26th, 2017, 02:29
It's about 195mb for the campaign I'm loading. That shouldn't take an hour should it? Like I say, it was a few minutes last Wednesday, and then Saturday and today is was an hour to load. I appreciate your response. Maybe it's just a weird connection thing we're going though.

Cheers!

damned
January 26th, 2017, 02:31
Its 195mb x however many players you have and its based on the GMs UPLOAD speed not your download speed.
195mb... you could be here all night.
What stuff has the GM shared?
Disconnect all players and connect one by one...
In future you probably need to all connect an hour before game.

kneebone
January 26th, 2017, 02:32
Thanks Damned!

damned
January 26th, 2017, 02:33
Also if the GM is on WiFi he may not have as good a signal as he thinks he does.

Open to cmd windows and in one do ping 8.8.8.8 -t and in the other do ping routeripaddress -t (replace routeripaddress with 192.168.0.1 or whatever his router/gateway is).
If he is getting more than 1% dropouts it will be impacting FG.

kneebone
January 26th, 2017, 02:54
Actually Damned, we think you might have hit the nail on the head with this one. Thanks again. I appreciate your insight.

damned
January 26th, 2017, 02:59
Cool. Once you are loaded up you should be fine - but be aware there will be several rounds of updates to the PHB over the next few weeks so do the logon an hour early thing next session if at all possible.

kneebone
January 26th, 2017, 03:09
Roger. Much obliged.