PDA

View Full Version : Help a new player learn the ropes next Friday!

Spin-Man
January 25th, 2017, 17:44
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds: I messed around with the demo a few years ago, but my group at the time wasn't interested so I all but forgot about it. Now, things have changed and I'm ready to start using it. I'm going to mess around with it over the next week, but I want to run a one-shot next Friday for some more experienced players who can help smooth out any unforeseen issues I run into. I have plenty of experience with D&D, so my goal here is to become more comfortable with the software and meet some members of the community.

I'm going to run a D&D 5th Edition game based on the Harried Hills adventure. It's advertised as several 1-hour mini-adventures, so we'll finish at least one, and if it goes quickly we'll jump right into the next. We may even finish the whole set as long as everyone has time.

FG License: Standard, so you'll need a standard as well
Game System: D&D 5th Ed

Time Zone: Pacific (GMT -8)
Day of week and time: Friday. I can start as early as 5:00 local time, but I will set it later if that helps people join
If new game, planned start date: Friday, February 3rd
Planned Duration & Frequency: One-shot, 2-5 hours

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: I have Skype, but I'm happy to download whatever free system is preferred.

Roleplay & Combat mix: ? (Knowing modules, it's about 10/90) :)
Number of Players in game & needed: 3-4
Character starting level & equipment: 1 with standard gear (I'll bump everyone to level 2 if we have only 3 players)
Character restrictions: Anything in the PHB goes, but nothing else for this one. I want to keep it simple.

dulux-oz
January 26th, 2017, 00:47
Hi Spin-Man, and Welcome Back! to the Community,

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Underdog
January 28th, 2017, 21:57
Thanks for posting these Dulux-oz. As a person new to FG and dusting off old atrophied DM skills this will be helpful.

Spin-Man
January 31st, 2017, 18:37
Thank you dulux-oz, I've been watching quite a few of these videos and they're very helpful. I've also been searching the forums a lot and almost every question I had was clearly answered in a thread where someone else had asked it. The community is extremely supportive and informative.

As for this one-shot in particular, no one has shown any interest yet. Do you have any advice for me that might generate more interest? I have a couple updates below, but I'd be open to other suggestions as well.

I have been creating a few characters to help me get familiar with the system, so if anyone would like to join but doesn't want to make one, I have some pre-generated characters available. I also set up a TeamSpeak account, so I plan to use that unless everyone agrees there is an alternative they would prefer.

damned
January 31st, 2017, 21:35
Hey Spin-Man re post it as New GM running One Shot.
You will get a bunch of applicants but they probably wont be experienced. You will still learn stuff.

Trenloe
January 31st, 2017, 21:44
Yeah, this thread title makes it sound like you're "a new player" looking for a game to join, not a GM who's going to run a game.

BDaniel
February 1st, 2017, 01:42
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds: I messed around with the demo a few years ago, but my group at the time wasn't interested so I all but forgot about it. Now, things have changed and I'm ready to start using it. I'm going to mess around with it over the next week, but I want to run a one-shot next Friday for some more experienced players who can help smooth out any unforeseen issues I run into. I have plenty of experience with D&D, so my goal here is to become more comfortable with the software and meet some members of the community.

I'm going to run a D&D 5th Edition game based on the Harried Hills adventure. It's advertised as several 1-hour mini-adventures, so we'll finish at least one, and if it goes quickly we'll jump right into the next. We may even finish the whole set as long as everyone has time.

FG License: Standard, so you'll need a standard as well
Game System: D&D 5th Ed

Time Zone: Pacific (GMT -8)
Day of week and time: Friday. I can start as early as 5:00 local time, but I will set it later if that helps people join
If new game, planned start date: Friday, February 3rd
Planned Duration & Frequency: One-shot, 2-5 hours

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: I have Skype, but I'm happy to download whatever free system is preferred.

Roleplay & Combat mix: ? (Knowing modules, it's about 10/90) :)
Number of Players in game & needed: 3-4
Character starting level & equipment: 1 with standard gear (I'll bump everyone to level 2 if we have only 3 players)
Character restrictions: Anything in the PHB goes, but nothing else for this one. I want to keep it simple.

I am somewhat experienced with FG and 5e. I wish to join but also wish new players to 5e or Fg to have the first crack. Will you be setting up this event on the calendar? I would also recommend using the Fantasy Grounds Team speak server for Voice Comms.

Spin-Man
February 1st, 2017, 02:03
Thank you for the replies, everyone! I will repost it with the new title: should I push it back a week, or is a few days' notice perfectly fine for a one-shot?

BDaniel, I am not familiar with the calendar. I'll try to set it up, but is there a quick reference document to help me figure it out?
I do plan to use TeamSpeak now. As for giving new players the first crack, I'd like to have at least one more experienced player in case I have questions, so don't stress over taking someone's spot. (Besides, I have no other takers so far, so you're certainly not pushing someone else out.)

BDaniel
February 1st, 2017, 04:00
Spin-Man,
I would change the title here for the one shot and advertise the oneshot in the LFG general area with a link back to this post. I wish I could point you in the direction of a tutorial for the game calendar but I did not find one but if there is one I am sure dammed, dulux-oz or trenloe will steer you on to it. The main thing for the calendar is ensuring your time is correct in your profile and when inputing the time for the event as a vote use military time for the time slot you advertised it would be 17:00 (type it as 17:00) PST. Players can sign up and when accepted vote on a game time. I think between changing the post title, advertising in the LFG section with a link back here and setting you calendar and linking it to this post. You will have a full party before you know it.

BDaniel

Spin-Man
February 1st, 2017, 05:19
The thing that was giving me a hang-up on the calendar was the server address/alias field and password, because I didn't realize I could just leave them blank. Here is the link. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2384)

And since I couldn't change the title of this thread, I took damned's advice and posted a new thread here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36457-New-GM-running-a-one-shot-on-Friday-Feb-3rd)