PDA

View Full Version : SW Chase rules?

goodmanje
January 25th, 2017, 08:55
How do you describe the action during a chase sequence using the chase rules?

Mask_of_winter
January 25th, 2017, 13:33
Instead of Distance, I use obsctruction. It's cinematic. Use inspiration from action movies. It's quick short frames in one long sequence. Also, keep in mind it isnt a race.
We covered the topic a few times on the Wild Die Podcast and I've written good tips in the Badabing Badaboom! (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/196040/Badabing-Badaboom?term=badabing&test_epoch=0) adventure.

goodmanje
January 25th, 2017, 15:49
Thanks Mask_of_Winter! I just picked up Badabing Badaboom... Those are good tips and a great looking adventure! I love the layout.

Topdecker
January 25th, 2017, 16:47
I've been using some chases prepared by GRAmel. Having the luxury of having been pre-crafted, a chase might transition from a hiding / notice roll (hiding in an abandoned building hoping to escape the notice of a pursuing patrol) for success and on to the rooftops where a strength roll might be needed as the party leaps to rooftops (and take fall damage on a fail).

Drawing clubs results in complications that need to be overcome and, if you have a script like the one above, the complications can feed on event. For instance, while being hidden and searched for, the guards (who also had drawn a club) kicked up some hornets and the player had to perform a spirit roll to soundlessly take the hornet stings while the guards ran from the insects. (That is directly from a session I played last night.)

In a 10-round foot chase, 4 or 5 rounds which rely upon something other than agility (or that use agility but have extra consequences on fail) can add a lot to the narrative while allowing a fuller range of abilities or skills to play a role. Climbing, pushing an obstacle out of the way, swimming, and so on are all ways to shift the types of checks for success while telling a small tale inside the chase itself. Having some interesting consequences for failing additional checks (interesting does not equal deadly) just adds to the fun.

Hector Trelane
January 25th, 2017, 17:16
Good discussion and ideas everyone. I'll put these tips to use!

goodmanje
January 26th, 2017, 06:00
Topdecker, I'm preparing some Beasts & Barbarians adventures that have a lot of good chase scenes in them. I like how they have added some variety. That will make it easier on me while running it.

Topdecker
January 26th, 2017, 14:05
I am pretty happy with B&B's Death of Tyrant adventure in terms of what I have learned from it. I might not have ever used the chase rules, which would have been a real shame since it is a very cool system.

Now, if we had a button to add an opened encounter to the chase tracker, that would be awesome (and maybe there is a way to do it that I don't know about). The only downside to the chase tracker is getting big bands added to it (I just added representatives from each group since dragging 30+ was more than tiresome)

Mask_of_winter
January 26th, 2017, 14:35
Hold Alt and click on the group button to add NPCs to a group. SW groups up Extras to speed up play (which isn't a hindrance on FG since all the cards are drawn at the click of a button). When you have 30 separate entries are added to the tracker you increase the chance of the Joker being drawn - which may or may not be an issue for you.
This video (https://youtu.be/MJfWUt9TXpY?t=6m48s) might give you a few tips.

Ikael
January 26th, 2017, 14:56
Now, if we had a button to add an opened encounter to the chase tracker, that would be awesome

Good suggestion, adding it to my TODO list.

Meanwhile use Mask_of_Winter's suggestion.

Topdecker
January 26th, 2017, 16:27
Good suggestion, adding it to my TODO list.

Meanwhile use Mask_of_Winter's suggestion.

I was dragging one dude in a group onto the tracker - subsequent dudes I could drop onto the group icon and they would group under him. I didn't flood the tracker since it would have been rough on my players :)

It also wasn't completely spelled out, but I also only allowed one dude to attack or act if the group managed to get to melee range. I viewed the chase as being a narrative with some slight consequences possible. (Each group had 10 individuals and all 10 getting to attack would have probably resulted someone going down.) I would probably do things differently with smaller groups, but the point was to have an exciting chase, not a running slaughter.

I will scope out the ALT combo and check out the video.

Tim

Mask_of_winter
January 26th, 2017, 16:38
RAW, you divide the number of enemies per group by the number of PCs and that's the max that can attack one PC. This is to prevent just that. But it looks like you had a good alternative :)

goodmanje
January 26th, 2017, 16:52
Death of a Tyrant is the one I'm working on now. I have most of the B&B adventures and just about all of them have good chase sequences in them. I need to set them up and run through some different chases for practice so it will go smoothly during the game.

Topdecker
January 26th, 2017, 18:07
Death of a Tyrant is the one I'm working on now. I have most of the B&B adventures and just about all of them have good chase sequences in them. I need to set them up and run through some different chases for practice so it will go smoothly during the game.

Death of a Tyrant has a section explaining how to foreshadow things by starting the adventure with a chase... And then the characters get to experience the events leading up to the chase. The tricky parts are deciding who stays with the horses (highest riding - or in my case, the one with an affinity for beasts stayed with them) and then getting things going without revealing why they are being chased.

RAW, you divide the number of enemies per group by the number of PCs and that's the max that can attack one PC. This is to prevent just that. But it looks like you had a good alternative :)

So I re-read that section in the rules and now I know - thanks, Mask! That beats running in idiot savant mode :).

Hey, another thing that the chase tracker could do is to display the range post re-sorting (or do it as a tool-tip which would save some screen real estate)

Tim