PDA

View Full Version : How much in FG?

goodmanje
January 25th, 2017, 02:54
When you guys are running a premade adventure that you have the PDF for, how much of the information do you actually put in Fantasy Grounds? I recently prepared an adventure for Beasts & Barbarians and I converted the entire thing to FG. In hindsight that seems unnecessary... How does everyone format these things?

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2017, 02:58
I put in text/chat box entries. If you only do voice though, you wouldn't need this.
NPCs and encounters
Items and TReasure
Maps & Images

Everything else can be read from the pdf if you want

JohnD
January 25th, 2017, 03:53
I've started to add in descriptive text - easy to pop into the chat box and it saves me having to wonder if I "got it right" when people react to the situation.

Andraax
January 25th, 2017, 04:16
I put the whole thing in. Copy + paste makes it easy. This way, I have all the info available to pop up from pins on the map without having to go back and forth to another window.

vodokar
January 25th, 2017, 05:07
I do what LordEntrails does. Then I always have the full hard copy with me at my desk.

Myrdin Potter
January 25th, 2017, 06:09
I put the whole thing in but maps and encounters (npc's) are all that is really needed to take advantage of the automation/tracking in FG. Chat boxes also really help, so if I were to keep it to a minimum that is what I would do.

Bidmaron
January 25th, 2017, 11:11
As you have noted, you can get away with just maps, description boxes, encounters, and treasures. However, I find that entering all the material forces me to know the material, and I believe you get a better adventure when the GM knows the material. Even if there is a delay before you run the material and you forget stuff, if you prepare properly with links, it is easier to run when you get to it.

goodmanje
January 25th, 2017, 15:53
Thanks for the tips guys! I've started preparing a second adventure in case the first one is a success and this gives me some ideas. Now I just need to find time to actually run the first one...

Dwayne Squires
January 25th, 2017, 16:46
Interesting thread to read. I am putting most of the information in but editing it some. Enough that if someone else ran the adventure they would understand the background of the whole story and how actions might effect it later on down the road. Of course a new DM could change the background if they wanted as well.

However, on this note. I am curious as to how everyone is cutting and pasting from PDF files. Does everyone have Adobe Pro? Adobe Reader does not allow cutting and pasting as most PDF files are pictures and not really text files. Or does everyone have scanners that will scan into text enabled PDFs? I know with Adobe Pro you can OCR a PDF picture file to text enable it but Adobe Pro is extremely expensive and I do not use it enough to justify the cost.

Nylanfs
January 25th, 2017, 17:16
https://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange-Viewer/3000-10743_4-10598377.html

Topdecker
January 25th, 2017, 17:19
I converted over Death of Tyrant and I am now working on Citadel of the Winged Gods, adventures 1 and 2 for Beasts & Barbarians.

If I were in a hurry, I would make the needed battle maps, enter the NPC info, and create all of the encounters. I would then use the PDF and run the adventure from the maps as needed. I have noticed that GRAmel has a tendency to have a fight option if talking goes south, so I've had a couple of prepped battle maps not get used.

If time isn't much of problem, I would enter the entire adventure in - tables too. Which is what I have been doing thus far. Now that page forward / page back has been added, this works out pretty nicely.

My guys will go through DEATH OF A TYRANT in 3.5 sessions (roughly 14 hours). They've just cleared the tower assault and have not done the scene on the 3rd floor of the tower and have 12 hours of play time with one minor and one major battle scene to go. I am mentioning this so you have an idea of how much game time you should anticipate getting from these adventures. I have been pushing this adventure along because I feel like the pace is important - so you will get more time than I if you prefer to allow your players to drive the adventure.

Trenloe
January 25th, 2017, 17:21
.. as most PDF files are pictures and not really text files.
Most legal, purchased RPG PDFs will be text that can be copied. I don't think any of my RPG PDF collections won't allow me to copy text out of them.

Dwayne Squires
January 25th, 2017, 17:56
Thanks for that info, Nylanfs.

Trenloe, so I am scanning modules from material I have purchased in the past (like 30+ years ago). PDFs didn't exist then. I do not plan to export them to the community and only plan to use the modules myself. So I should not be violating any copy right laws.

It is kind of funny. I post an issue and I either solve it myself or get a fairly quick answer in the forums here. For example Nylanfs presented a simple software solution but I also went back and checked for updated printer drivers. Low and behold, I can now scan to .rtf file which are text readable.

My first test run last night was bumpy to say the least. But also extremely useful. It gave me a great feel for how thing will work once I start playing. I have a ton of new questions but intend to review videos and users guides again before posting. Honestly, as good as you guys are at answering these questions, it is kind of hard not to be lazy and just keep throwing questions out at the forum.

I am extremely happy with FG and the community here is making the experience even better. Thanks to all.

Nylanfs
January 25th, 2017, 19:36
Here's some that are pretty good scans and are OCR's for the most part.

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?filters=45471_0_45190_0_0_0_0_0

Trenloe
January 25th, 2017, 19:45
Here's some that are pretty good scans and are OCR's for the most part.

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?filters=45471_0_45190_0_0_0_0_0
Every single one of the products on the first page of that link are "Original electronic" format - these are not scans.

Nylanfs
January 25th, 2017, 21:07
Hmmm, where did their old books go. DNDclassics takes you there now.

Edit: Looks like they don't have their redirect right.
https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?test_epoch=0&filters=45471_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

and then select the edition to the left.