PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con Attendee Poll

ddavison
January 24th, 2017, 01:31
As you may have heard, we will not be running a booth this year at Gen Con and instead, we will be hosting a series of events. I have just been in contact with Gen Con event staff and they've been super helpful. It sounds like most of these will work as a seminar and the last one will possibly work as a workshop with tickets for admittance.

In order to properly size the attendance, I'm hoping that you will let us know if you are definitely going to be able to attend Gen Con and that you'd be interested in the event like that. If you have friends who are going to be at Gen Con, maybe run the thought past them to see if this would be something they would be interested in. If we do an event in a big seminar room and don't fill it up, that would be bad. As long as we have the attendance, we don't mind the cost. We will have to rent the A/V equipment and bring our own projection screens, but the costs are basically manageable above and beyond the travel and lodging. Instead of going with one large seminar, we might also consider dividing it into 2 separate events that run at different times on different days so that scheduling is easier.

Also, if you are going to be at Gen Con and would like to volunteer to help host one of the sessions, let us know. I could especially use a hand with a few of these from folks who consider themselves to be experts in the various rulesets.

Event 1. Introduction to being an online Gamemaster using Fantasy Grounds
Time: 1 hour
Summary: A brief discussion of organizing and running an online event. What tools do you need to get started, how do you find players, how do you manage your ongoing campaign and a quick introduction to Fantasy Grounds. There will be an introduction to various voice over IP solutions and a discussion of equipment, microphones, headsets and hardware. An introduction to streaming and uploading videos to YouTube and Twitch is provided as well.

Event 2. Introduction to being a DM for online Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying using Fantasy Grounds
Summary: This event immediately follows the preceding event and it focuses specifically on running a D&D fifth edition game within Fantasy Grounds. It discusses available built-in modules (SRD content), adventure modules and reference modules available in pre-loaded format and how to add your own content to the system. It walks through basic character creation and shows tips for running your game smoothly and creating and exporting your own adventures.

Event 3. Introduction to running Savage Worlds online with Fantasy Grounds
Summary: This event shows how to run the stock Savage Worlds ruleset with Fantasy Grounds. How do you create characters and NPCs, handling raises, soaking damage, managing combat and more. A brief introduction to running alternate Settings will also be presented. It also shows how to create and export your own adventures.

Event 4. Introduction to running Call of Cthulhu 7E online with Fantasy Grounds
Summary: This event shows how to run the Call of Cthulhu ruleset with Fantasy Grounds. How do you create characters and NPCs, share handouts and run combat and skill checks. An example showcasing how you can run a 6E adventure within the new 7E ruleset is also provided. It also shows how to create and export your own adventures.

Event 5. Introduction to running a Pathfinder roleplaying game online using Fantasy Grounds
Summary: This event walks thorugh the PFRPG ruleset and showcases available built-in modules (SRD content), adventure modules and reference modules available in pre-loaded format and how to add your own content to the system. It walks through basic character creation and shows tips for running your game smoothly and creating and exporting your own adventures.

Event 6. Introduction to custom development of new rulesets and extensions for online roleplaying with Fantasy Grounds
Summary: This event introduces the CoreRPG and MoreCore rulesets that allow in-app customization of a new game system. Additional discussion on advanced development will cover necessary tools, languages and resources available.

Nylanfs
January 24th, 2017, 17:38
You need a very basic "What is FG" seminar for users to bring new people to.

Also should I attend GenCon, I'll probably try and pop in on one or two

Mortar
January 25th, 2017, 03:19
No "All of the Above" option?

edit - should mention that if I could, I'd see them all....but about 60k too many people for me.

Zhern
January 25th, 2017, 18:55
...about 60k too many people for me.
That is my biggest reason for not attending GenCon either - way too many people. If I could attend virtually I definitely would or if it was held at a smaller venue, then I would go with all of the above also.

dmkevin
January 25th, 2017, 19:01
If I could attend virtually I would attend 3 or 4 of these proposed sessions.

ddavison
January 25th, 2017, 20:13
Maybe we can do some online versions of these over twitch as well.

Sunspoticus
January 25th, 2017, 21:05
As previously indicated on Facebook, I'll be glad to HELP you guys if you need it..

ddavison
January 25th, 2017, 21:16
As previously indicated on Facebook, I'll be glad to HELP you guys if you need it..

Thanks Steve.

We will put you on our list of folks to coordinate with for the seminars.

Zhern
January 25th, 2017, 21:45
Doug - online via Twitch would be great too! What about an ongoing (say once a month or once a quarter) workshop on community development and building rulesets, modules, etc., as mentioned for Event #6? Would something like this be possible?

ddavison
January 25th, 2017, 22:20
We've had a series of these over the last few months on twitch during the FG Workshops that David puts together.

M836139
January 25th, 2017, 23:03
These seminars would be high on my priority list. Just saying. :)

Zhern
January 25th, 2017, 23:06
Doug - Ah, I didn't realize those went into the details of layering, extensions, modules, etc. The descriptions didn't seem to indicate they were technical sessions. I was asking about technical sessions but will go back and watch those to see if they do cover some of the topics I mentioned.

mghauber
January 26th, 2017, 07:59
I am certainly planning on attending! Most familiar with SW, but will help out however I can...for food, of course! HAHAHA

Phystus
January 26th, 2017, 12:13
As I've mentioned in the past, I'd be glad to assist with running these.

Walt

MadBeardMan
January 26th, 2017, 18:36
Doug - I'll be there and if you need help on CoC etc then let me know.

JohnD
January 27th, 2017, 04:32
My wife doesn't like it when I enjoy life.

ddavison
January 28th, 2017, 17:51
Thanks everyone.

I heard back from Gen Con and we are going to be limited to just 3 events.

jshauber
January 28th, 2017, 17:59
Been on the road all week but will be at GenCon and willing to help as always.

turelus
February 4th, 2017, 21:26
Myself and two friends will be attending, all FG2 users who play Pathfinder and two of us are FG2 GM's so we'd all attend events 1 and 2.

GunbunnyFuFu
February 7th, 2017, 01:12
I'll be attending GenCon...should you need any help, just shoot me a PM. I'm an hour from the venue.

GB

TheSwartz
February 9th, 2017, 08:31
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between #1 and #2, so I voted for both. After re-reading, #1 is more "generic" than just D&D, but still the options listed seem similar. So, you may want to take that confusion into interpretation of the results. (or I'm just dumb..)

Certainly interested in an intro to DM in 5e D&D and the workshop on advanced features! I hope there won't be a game to sign up for at the same time..

I hope you video these sessions and post them on your YouTube channel!

Wookiee420
February 16th, 2017, 01:15
I cannot attend, but i would love to watch all of these, can always learn new tricks