PDA

View Full Version : Two Problems with Effects for STR and DEX

LordBalkoth
January 23rd, 2017, 03:02
1, for an NPC, how do I inform the game that the NPC is using a 2H weapon? Character sheets give a spot to put a 1.5 STR modifier (or 2 or 3 or whatever) but NPCs don't seem to have that. Which becomes an issue if an NPC Barbarian rages with a Greataxe and only gets +2 damage rather than +3 damage.

2, the Max DEX stat does not seem to be calculated properly with effects. Say a character is wearing a Chain Shirt (4 AC, 4 max DEX) with 18 DEX. That's +8 AC total. If I then apply a Cat's Grace effect to the character, he'll go up to +10 AC...even though he shouldn't gain any AC. And if I adjusted his character sheet he wouldn't gain AC. But he does from effects.

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2017, 03:09
LordBalkoth,

1. There is no mechanism to tell FG that a weapon is being used by an NPC two-handed, because the stat blocks for Pathfinder and 3.5E do not really have an official format for those. What I have seen is to add a separate attack line for the NPC's attack while raging.

2. Effects that increase Dexterity do not consider the max Dex statistic of the armor worn, so this will need to be handled manually.

Regards,
JPG

LordBalkoth
January 23rd, 2017, 03:19
What I have seen is to add a separate attack line for the NPC's attack while raging.

Also an issue for NPCs who get buffed with Bull's Strength. Bah, guess I'll just make a new Bull's Strength effect that also gives +1 damage.

2. Effects that increase Dexterity do not consider the max Dex statistic of the armor worn, so this will need to be handled manually.

Any suggestions? Adding a -2 AC penalty would then cause the character to be at lower than intended AC if flat-footed or something, so a "simple" workaround like that isn't foolproof. And when characters wind up having like half a dozen effects adjusting their AC (and then worrying about how flat-footed/blindness/invisibility/etc stack on top of that) it's kind of a pain to verify by hand. But might have to do so...