PDA

View Full Version : 'GM Layer' For FG?

JHale1966
January 23rd, 2017, 02:02
Is there a GM Layer in FG like on Roll20? I'm wanting to place some stuff on the map that I need visible to me but not the players (unless I want to bring them up).

Thanks!

Jim

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 02:36
No, there isn't but there is the extension which adds two more layers and will allow you to do what you want.

JHale1966
January 23rd, 2017, 02:39
I have that extension but from what I read it just keeps the players on top to make it easier to select them if they're on top of another token. I need something that will allow me to, say, put a trap token on the table and set it so that only I can see it to remind me of where it is.

Or - how are other people handling this situation?

Andraax
January 23rd, 2017, 03:02
I just drop pins on the map to reminders. Players can't see the pins.

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 03:03
You can do that with or without the layers. Make your trap an NPC and put it on the Combat Tracker. It will be invisible until you decide otherwise.

JHale1966
January 23rd, 2017, 03:04
That'll work for the most part but sometimes I need to flag an area 20' x 20' (or larger) so I know when someone steps into it, whatever happens, happens and obviously not have the players see it.

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2017, 03:05
You can add any token to the map, right click on it and change the visibility to On, Mask Sensitive or Off.

For NPC tokens dragged from the combat tracker or added from encounters, these are automatically set to Off by default, and toggled to Mask Sensitive when you click the visibility icon in the combat tracker (eye symbol).

Regards,
JPG

Wookiee420
January 23rd, 2017, 03:15
silly question, how do i "drop a pin?"

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 03:26
silly question, how do i "drop a pin?"

Drag something (item, noc, story, image, encounter, parcel etc) on to a map.

Wookiee420
January 23rd, 2017, 03:27
that simple? awesome :)

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2017, 03:28
Each ruleset has a unique graphic for "links", which are usually located in the upper left corner of each individual record, and on the left side of the name in campaign record lists.

Just drag and drop this link onto a map.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 03:29
That'll work for the most part but sometimes I need to flag an area 20' x 20' (or larger) so I know when someone steps into it, whatever happens, happens and obviously not have the players see it.

Put the token on the map. Use the mouse wheel to make it bigger

Andraax
January 23rd, 2017, 04:01
For traps, I create the trap as an NPC. Then I drop a pin to the trap onto the map in the location where the trap is. When a player walks across the pin, I can click on the pin to bring up the trap, which might include an attack and damage (just drop those right onto the player's token). Everything is right there in front of you this way, don't have to go to the CT.

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2017, 05:37
Note, if you want your trap to be 20x20, you can just change the scale of that token so it's the size you want.

JHale1966
January 23rd, 2017, 11:47
OK - I think I have that part figured out. Now, when I add the Encounter to the Combat Tracker and have not changed the visibility of the token, will it still show that token in the player's combat tracker or just pop it in there when I make it visible?

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 13:24
By default as MW says tokens are initially invisible to the player both on the map and the CT. You have full control as to when it becomes visible on the Map and on the CT. If you have the skip invisible actor option on then the players will never know that there's something on the CT or on the map.

Nylanfs
January 23rd, 2017, 14:13
Start a second instance of FG and connect using localhost as the IP and you can see what the players see.

JHale1966
January 23rd, 2017, 15:32
Start a second instance of FG and connect using localhost as the IP and you can see what the players see.

I just did that as a matter of fact. LOL.

I guess I just need to get used to the FG way of displaying things - I got so used to Roll20. :/

JohnD
January 23rd, 2017, 16:50
Roll20 can't hold FG's jockstrap. Make the switch and you won't forget it.

JHale1966
January 23rd, 2017, 18:18
I'm almost to that point. I have 3 more tables to convert and I'm going to drop to a $4.99 subscription (so I can still transfer characters from table to table).

Hopefully I'll be ready to run my first PFS FG games in a couple of weeks. Even though setup is more intricate in FG, it's much FASTER as well.

Nylanfs
January 23rd, 2017, 19:03
I'm almost to that point. I have 3 more tables to convert and I'm going to drop to a $4.99 subscription (so I can still transfer characters from table to table).

Are you referring to Roll20 or FG here?

JHale1966
January 23rd, 2017, 19:06
The $4.99 refers to Roll20.

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2017, 19:17
Hopefully I'll be ready to run my first PFS FG games in a couple of weeks. Even though setup is more intricate in FG, it's much FASTER as well.
Glad to hear this. I hear people say it from time to time, but always nice to get another data point.

Care to give any ballpark example or impression on time savings?

Zhern
January 23rd, 2017, 22:48
Glad to hear this. I hear people say it from time to time, but always nice to get another data point.

I would also be curious what your setup process entails. Is that just transferring the PFS scenario into FG and setting up the encounters, parcels, npcs? Or do you do anything extra?

The reason I ask is I'm always looking for ways to speed up my prep, so I'm curious what others do.

JHale1966
January 24th, 2017, 00:51

Well for me it's faster because I have LOGICAL places to store things. In Roll20, you have to be very linear in your way of thinking and no matter HOW much you spend time trying to plan ahead, the party will ALWAYS go a way you didn't plan on and that messes up the order of things and then you have to spend the time to compensate. FG is more like, 'Who cares? Let the party do what they want... everything is ready NO MATTER which way they want to go.' The ability to not have to worry about every little twist and turn is a BIG time saver for me.

Nylanfs
January 24th, 2017, 03:28
Hey, you don't have to setup the PFS senarios. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20244-Private-sharing-of-PFS-scenario-data-available-modules)

JHale1966
January 24th, 2017, 10:29
Hey, you don't have to setup the PFS senarios. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20244-Private-sharing-of-PFS-scenario-data-available-modules)

Since I'm (re)learning the system, I feel better building my tables from scratch (for now). :)

drvolk
January 24th, 2017, 14:56
Note, if you want your trap to be 20x20, you can just change the scale of that token so it's the size you want.

You could also change the "reach" or "size" (or both) e.g. from 5 to 20 of the combat tracker entry (click otno the little square icon) of the "Trap" NSC.