PDA

View Full Version : What I am missing? GM - Players cannot connect!

habitualfiction
January 23rd, 2017, 00:18
So I'm a longtime DM. I've doublechecked Port Forwarding, obviously I can access FantasyGrounds.com. Our Network is also obviously fine. Yet all tests fail. What am I not checking? I've made sure my license is active and updated to 3.2.2.

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 00:21
Please post a screen shot of your port forwarding settings.
Please also do a
tracert 8.8.8.8
and post the first 5 lines.

habitualfiction
January 23rd, 2017, 00:25

habitualfiction
January 23rd, 2017, 00:28
Let me know what you think.

Other information to my knowledge that you should know:

Another user used my account to be able to GM a game that included me in it. We're on the same IP, it's just one IP using my GM License downstairs and me as a Free User on a separate D: HDD. I've ensured that his copy of FantasyGrounds has been uninstalled (while backing up the AppData folder for the campaign information)

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 00:37
Do you also have a modem?
Have you port forwarded the modem to the router?
If someone else did use FG as GM you might have to power cycle the Router - sometimes it looks like the change has taken but the router isnt actually applying it.

Also your license is a user license - it is for your use only - you are not allowed to share it for someone else to use even if you are swapping roles.

habitualfiction
January 23rd, 2017, 00:44
I recall sometime like a year ago messing with the modem but I haven't had to since certainly. I gotcha, it was a case of a $80 purchase for a one off (license + PHB + Monster Manual)

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 00:54
So can you check the settings on the Modem - and reboot both modem and router and report back?
Post port forward settings on Modem as well (modem port forward to routers WAN ip)
Also after reboot your computer may get a different IP address so you may have to recheck/redo the port forward on the router.

ddavison
January 23rd, 2017, 00:57
You can also check your firewall settings on your router to see if it is blocking peer-to-peer traffic.

habitualfiction
January 23rd, 2017, 01:09
Sup Doug. Looking forward to Dynamic Lighting! I'm a big map maker as well so that feature will add a whole new element eventually! Sorry for being such a shady user.

Roommate may have hard reset modem last week. We run DHCP naturally so it's nbd for most of the network but I think a hard reset on some Comcast hardware can clear some settings

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2017, 01:17
One thing that may help, though not if the router is reset to factory setting, is to do an IP reservation for your mac address. If you reserve something like .88 it no one else is probably using it and then your router will always assign that IP to your computer and you won't have to worry about your IP changing and having to update your port forwarding.

habitualfiction
January 26th, 2017, 20:36
SOLVED!

When I installed another Fantasy Grounds on my separate Hard Drive there was another entry in my Windows Firewall under the name: Fantasy Grounds. I think it added the D: drive installation alphabetically over my C: installation and for whatever reason applied the Windows Firewall setting to the new installation. What this ended up meaning is that the D: installation was allowed through the Firewall and the C: wasn't so when I went to get our game going on Sunday I couldn't for the life of me get the connection tests to go through but the D: installation would work fine. I now have them both going through the Firewall as in the picture below. 17640

Trenloe
January 26th, 2017, 21:07
SOLVED!

When I installed another Fantasy Grounds on my separate Hard Drive there was another entry in my Windows Firewall under the name: Fantasy Grounds. I think it added the D: drive installation alphabetically over my C: installation and for whatever reason applied the Windows Firewall setting to the new installation. What this ended up meaning is that the D: installation was allowed through the Firewall and the C: wasn't so when I went to get our game going on Sunday I couldn't for the life of me get the connection tests to go through but the D: installation would work fine. I now have them both going through the Firewall as in the picture below. 17640
I'd recommend setting it for the Home network as well, just in case your network adapter changes to Private at some point in the future and suddenly FG stops working again.