PDA

View Full Version : Noob to FG

Dwayne Squires
January 22nd, 2017, 17:36
So I just bought FG. I saw it on Steam and thought this would be a great program to use with my playing group (My Family). I will GM and the kids will all be players.

So I reviewed a great many videos and such before purchasing because this was a major purchase. However, now that I have it, I am finding it hard to find some very basic users instructions. I have some experience creating user guides and one of the first things you will normally find is how to personalize the interface. I have not been able to find any instructions on how to personalize my FG workspace. Looking at the videos I see various backgrounds. However, I cannot find how to change my background.

I created my first campaign session to start creating my world and my background is a glaring whitish blank screen. At a minimum I would like to change the color to something less glaring. However, a background image would be nice as well. Plus the background in those videos are far less glaring. I am stumped at how to fix this. I did find the Desktop Decal feature.

Random searching as not resulted in finding anyway of how to change my background. Also another minor annoyance is that I run dual screens but the only way to use both screens is to stretch a windowed version across both screens. It would be nice to have a sort of "maximized" window that is able to cross both screens. This just might be my ignorance of how to use my screen set up in windows but I would appreciate in advice on this one as well.

Thanks

Bidmaron
January 22nd, 2017, 18:15
Dwane, welcome to the forums here. Before we can help you, we need to know which game system you want to play. As for tailoring your background, worry about that later. It is non-trivial, and it is far more important to get the basics down of setting up and running an adventure before you start working with extensions and so on.

There is no way to do multi-screens without dragging the window size, unfortunately, and that is unlikely to change until the Unity version of Fantasy Grounds is released, possibly later this year.

Dwayne Squires
January 22nd, 2017, 18:23
Bidmaron,

Thank you, but after posting. I decided to search the forums and found a reference to extension themes. So I got rid of the glaring white screen and now have a darker leather looking screen. I think it is the More5e extension. Anyway, to answer your question, I am starting with the D&D 5e setup. I bought an ultimate license with the Dungeon Masters Guide, Core Character set, and Core Monster set. I figured I would buy other things latter as I needed them. If I decided I needed them later.

As for running an adventure that will be a while. I have a lot of set up to do for my campaign world. But this definitely looks to be a great piece of software for me. I also have to teach my children how to use it as players. LOL That shouldn't be too hard, I have several teenagers so they should catch on quickly.

LindseyFan
January 22nd, 2017, 18:35
When I hit the maximize window button, FG jumps to fill all three of my screens... Not sure what you all are saying about not being able to do this.

Arborhawk
January 22nd, 2017, 19:02
Hi Dwayne, if ya have teamspeak There is a free server here at FG

Hermundure
January 22nd, 2017, 21:07
Along with a discord server :-)

LordEntrails
January 22nd, 2017, 21:32
So, if you haven't gathered, the current FG engine doesn't have a lot of graphic customization that can be done through the options menu. You'll find that most of the background and button and color customizations are done through Extensions. Make sure you take a look at the User Guide, and then the stickies at both the top of the CoreRPG and 5E forums. Since 5E is built on CoreRPG, most of what you learn there is applicable for 5E.

damned
January 22nd, 2017, 21:42
So I just bought FG. I saw it on Steam and thought this would be a great program to use with my playing group (My Family). I will GM and the kids will all be players.

So I reviewed a great many videos and such before purchasing because this was a major purchase. However, now that I have it, I am finding it hard to find some very basic users instructions. I have some experience creating user guides and one of the first things you will normally find is how to personalize the interface. I have not been able to find any instructions on how to personalize my FG workspace. Looking at the videos I see various backgrounds. However, I cannot find how to change my background.

I created my first campaign session to start creating my world and my background is a glaring whitish blank screen. At a minimum I would like to change the color to something less glaring. However, a background image would be nice as well. Plus the background in those videos are far less glaring. I am stumped at how to fix this. I did find the Desktop Decal feature.

Random searching as not resulted in finding anyway of how to change my background. Also another minor annoyance is that I run dual screens but the only way to use both screens is to stretch a windowed version across both screens. It would be nice to have a sort of "maximized" window that is able to cross both screens. This just might be my ignorance of how to use my screen set up in windows but I would appreciate in advice on this one as well.

Thanks

Hi Dwayne,

It sounds like you have activated the 5e theme. If you unselected that (and the More5e theme) you will get the default leather 5e theme (which is different to the More5e leather theme).
You can also use the mood lighting to (very) subtly change the colours.
Decals are one way to provide a change to the backgrounds.
The other way is to create an extension (kinda like the More5e one) which contains your image. As mentioned by Bidmaron this is non trivial - although not that complex either). FG is designed to use the 9 slices format for its background images - it does not scale BG images it tiles them according to the 9 slices which must be defined in your extension.
Despite it working for LindseyFan maximising across two screens is not a feature and will not likely be one under the current game engine.

LindseyFan
January 22nd, 2017, 21:58
Despite it working for LindseyFan maximising across two screens is not a feature and will not likely be one under the current game engine.
Realized after the post, that I am using the nvidia setting that makes my monitors all one long monitor. I should have realized that sooner. Though it could be a solution for some.

damned
January 22nd, 2017, 22:02
Realized after the post, that I am using the nvidia setting that makes my monitors all one long monitor. I should have realized that sooner. Though it could be a solution for some.

I thought you must be doing something like this :)

Dwayne Squires
January 22nd, 2017, 22:59
All,

Thank you for your responses. I did get the background changed to something more tolerable for now. I took a break to go to church but it is good to know there is a TS server. I also figured I could change my monitor settings to get the big window but didn't want to do that because that is not how I use the screens for everything else I do. Looking forward to getting my campaign set up and running my first adventure on this with the kids. The kids seem excited by it as well.

Dwayne Squires
January 23rd, 2017, 03:19
What is the FG TS Server Address?

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 03:25
ts.fg-con.com / Dungeoneers