PDA

View Full Version : Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making software

heruca
January 21st, 2017, 23:31
Hi folks. I am going to be creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both for print-resolution maps and lower-res maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. The program will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

The program should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions, but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

In late January or early February 2017, I'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign to try to fund the program's development. The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, likely in the $20-$25 range (at least during the Kickstarter campaign).

I'm trying to gauge public interest in this, so please let me know if such software would be of interest to you.

damned
January 21st, 2017, 23:42
For me Campaign Cartographer was always too much for what I perceived its value to be. I have tried to buy Dundjinni several times unsuccessfully.

Id likely buy it at that price.

On the other hand a new standalone version of Pyromancers Dungeon Painter (I use the online version often) is coming to Steam soon...

So timing could matter :)

Beerbelly
January 22nd, 2017, 03:46
I'd be interested in a mapping program in that price range, as long as it performed similar to CC3+. Especially if there was a steady stream of new symbols. Pyromancer is nice, but the fact that it has so few statues for instance, makes the maps pretty boring after a while. CC3+ was expensive, and continues to be if you want new symbols, but the nice thing is, the option is there. I'm always willing to pay a few dollars for something that is going to give added benifit to my gaming. If it has the same open license that CC3+ has so you can use it to make maps and sell them, all the better.

Zhern
January 22nd, 2017, 18:00
This would also grab my interest. I have CC3+, DD3, and CD3 and absolutely hate them because of the interface. Most of the time I end up making my maps in Photoshop, which works fine for what I do, but an easy to use, time-limiting app specifically for mapping would be my preference. I use Hexographer (and soon Hexographer 2) for overland mapping and don't anticipate moving away from that, but for dungeons, inside buildings, etc., an alternative would be excellent. I've also tried to purchase Dundjinni several times with no luck.

HavocSmurf
January 22nd, 2017, 23:18
This DM would be interested in your software. Cheers

habitualfiction
January 23rd, 2017, 00:33
I have put $200 into CC

I would be willing to purchase a software or software package but only if it is capable of matching CC's functions. Most importantly the layers and lighting

Galach
January 24th, 2017, 01:44
I have great interest in a piece of software focused on creating maps for RPGs, but my decision to buy it or not will depend on the business model you will be using. Some key points for me would be:

1. Will this software allow the use of any image (like the ones grabbed from Dundjinni forums or CSUAC), or will it allow only pre-loaded packages?

2. How will this software approach map creation? Will it work with unlimited layers, in a Photoshop-like approach, or with few, pre-determined layers, like Dundjinni? Freedom to use as many layers I want and not be anchored on pre-built layers is a must have.

3. Will it be Stylus/Tablet friendly? Since I started to use a Wacom device I just can’t use mouse to editing images anymore.

4. Do you plan to sell art packs? If yes, will they be for personal use only, or a use would be able to build a map, put it in an adventure module and sell the stuff?

5. How frequent will be the planned version updates? How long would be versions life-cycle? How frequently would I need to purchase updates (I think yearly is bad, but pay another 20-25 bucks every two years won’t be that bad to receive improvements new features).

Depending on the answers of those topics, my response can be definitely yes, maybe or absolutely not… =P

heruca
February 25th, 2017, 12:32
It turns out that there was substantial interest in new mapping software. The Kickstarter for MapForge (https://kck.st/2ldOJOn) funded on the first day, and the campaign now has well over 800 backers and is close to unlocking the second Stretch Goal. The first Stretch Goal unlocked five free content Add-Ons (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/1815241).

I'm thrilled with how well MapForge has been received, especially by the former DJ community. I hope MapForge will become an indispensable tool for Fantasy Grounds GMs.

viresanimi
February 25th, 2017, 13:42
Well. I just don't see myself ever using anything but photoshop to make my maps. Its just too good. But I do wish you luck with your endeavour. The more tools the better I say.

Vires Animi

Ken L
February 25th, 2017, 17:01
won't be able to run it on my platform anyway.

Full Bleed
February 25th, 2017, 17:40
Well. I just don't see myself ever using anything but photoshop to make my maps. Its just too good.
This really isn't positioned to compete with Photoshop when it comes to more complex map-making. This is clearly focused on making maps using tile-sets (of which there is a growing supply of). I've never found complex tile-sets and Photoshop to be a particularly good match... in fact, I'd rather use Maptool when working with tilesets. Mapforge does look like it fills a niche. I could see putting something together here more quickly and then exporting to Photoshop for finishes (if necessary).

damned
February 26th, 2017, 00:56
It turns out that there was substantial interest in new mapping software. The Kickstarter for MapForge (https://kck.st/2ldOJOn) funded on the first day, and the campaign now has well over 800 backers and is close to unlocking the second Stretch Goal. The first Stretch Goal unlocked five free content Add-Ons (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/1815241).

I'm thrilled with how well MapForge has been received, especially by the former DJ community. I hope MapForge will become an indispensable tool for Fantasy Grounds GMs.

Hey heruca I jumped on last night too :)

heruca
March 3rd, 2017, 02:37
Thanks guys. And well said, Full Bleed. Except for one thing I'd like to clarify. About all the prototype does is make maps out of tiles, this is true. But there will be much more to MapForge than that. It's going to be a full-blown map-making program, which you can use to make maps from scratch, if that's your preference. Much like DJ used to do.

FG users might be in a bit of luck regarding MapForge. As I think I mentioned before, the app will over a free use level, meaning it can be used to make maps without having a MapForge license. One of the main limitations the free version will have is that exporting of the finished map will be limited to 50 pixels per grid square. But I was chatting with an FG user and was told that 50 dpi is what is typically used in FG. So I suspect that most FG users will be able to use MapForge unlicensed. Add-Ons can still be purchased for it, and proceeds from those go mostly to the artist/company responsible for creating the content.

Update on the state of the Kickstarter campaign:
A second Stretch Goal was unlocked, which will add support for randomly-generated dungeons via Donjon (https://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/).
An Update will be posted tomorrow on the Kickstarter page to show how great this feature is going to be. Stretch Goal #3 is getting within reach now, and that will unlock several additional free content Add-Ons. I see little chance of NOT reaching that goal in the 20 days remaining in the campaign, so it's pretty much a given that there will be at least 8 free Add-Ons for the software, which is pretty awesome.

heruca
March 3rd, 2017, 02:38
Sorry, double-posted.

kalnaren
March 4th, 2017, 15:27
I'd consider it, but only under a few conditions.

I have CC3/CC3+, all the Symbol Set addons, plus a couple of CAs. That's a lot of moola invested in CC3. To justify any cost another software would have to do something sufficiently different than CC3, or the same kind of things significantly better than CC3.

One thing I'd love to see in a map creator is a 3D tileset system, with lighting, like the old Aurora engine. I know there's some other software out there that does this, but it's significantly limited, and of course therein lies the problem when using 3D.

Another thing, if I can't add my own content to a map creator, it's an instant write-off. No map creation program has enough content to do everything (understandable), but if adding a few missing things here or there is not supported or a colossal PITA, it's not worth my time or effort (and IMO using external editors like GIMP after one has created and exported the map is not a solution for this).

Along with the above, I'm much more willing to look at map creation software if it has a good library of addons, either pay-for or community made. I have nothing against paying for more content if it's really usable, and the more varied and versatile the content is, the more I'm likely to pay for it.

Just my $0.02.

Currently with CC3 I'm trying to do modern interior maps, and I'm finding the lack of variety in CC3 for that purpose a little annoying.

EDIT:

So I tried the prototype. Not bad. I'm not sure it will offer anything that I can't do in CC3, but even based on the prototype it's one of the better drag & drop map creation tools I've seen, and IMO could certainly be an alternative for people who don't want to shell out the money for CC3 + addons or don't want to learn CAD.

I thought the interface was very well done. I especially liked that when I clicked on a button and it said "Not implemented, use the hotkeys", my random guessing at which keys they were was actually correct. It's intuitive to say the least. The art in the prototype was very nice, and I really like the slight perspective in it. That's something I wish I could do in CC3.

So my final thoughts based on 10 minutes of playing with the prototype are that it might interest me depending on the art assets available, and depending on the ability to customize things (I gather from the buttons and other stuff available you're planning on adding overlays and other stuff you can add like furniture and the like).

For people who don't own CC3 and aren't photoshop wizards I think they'll definitely want to keep an eye on it.

Oh, one final thing, I'd highly suggest making sure the ability to mix and match different asset sets is available. One thing I really like about CC3 is that I can be mapping using Jon Robert's style, and add symbols from the stock DD3 or Mike Schley's style or whatever.

JohnD
March 4th, 2017, 17:25
I'm going to take a look at this when I get back to a computer.

heruca
March 4th, 2017, 20:18
I'd consider it, but only under a few conditions.

I have CC3/CC3+, all the Symbol Set addons, plus a couple of CAs. That's a lot of moola invested in CC3. To justify any cost another software would have to do something sufficiently different than CC3, or the same kind of things significantly better than CC3.

MapForge (the app) costs less than many CC3 symbol libraries. It's not like you'll be spending hundreds of dollars, as you did with CC3. Well, unless you get REALLY hooked and decide to buy EVERY content Add-On offered. But I figure the typical user will spend $25-$27 on the software, and maybe $10-40 on content Add-Ons. Some people will use MapForge without a license, and take advantage of the 9 free Add-Ons that will be coming out for it, so they'll have spent $0.

One thing I'd love to see in a map creator is a 3D tileset system, with lighting, like the old Aurora engine. I know there's some other software out there that does this, but it's significantly limited, and of course therein lies the problem when using 3D.
Something like that is most certainly on the way. And I agree that it will limit the user in terms of adding custom content, unless they are technically savvy, so such a product will probably be going after a different type of user.

Another thing, if I can't add my own content to a map creator, it's an instant write-off. No map creation program has enough content to do everything (understandable), but if adding a few missing things here or there is not supported or a colossal PITA, it's not worth my time or effort (and IMO using external editors like GIMP after one has created and exported the map is not a solution for this).
No worries, as MapForge will let you use your own content. I highly suggest that you read Update #4 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/1815815).

Along[/url]Along with the above, I'm much more willing to look at map creation software if it has a good library of addons, either pay-for or community made. I have nothing against paying for more content if it's really usable, and the more varied and versatile the content is, the more I'm likely to pay for it.
More free and commercial Add-Ons for MapForge will be announced during the 18 days that remain in the campaign. Should be a very decent selection, with a notable increase in modern-day and sci-fi content.
I've seen complaints that there is TOO MUCH content. Indeed, there is more than any one user should need. I provide more than that because there will be many users, each with different needs. But seriously, someone on Reddit said they'd pass on MapForge because it was too expensive if you got ALL the DLC. My response was that it's like complaining that it's too expensive to get EVERY app available for your smartphone. Who does that?!

So I tried the prototype. Not bad. I'm not sure it will offer anything that I can't do in CC3

I think you may have missed the forest for the trees. Just because one of the only things that the prototype can do is make maps out of tiles, it doesn't mean that is the only thing that the finished MapForge application will be able to do. MapForge will be a full-fledge mapping program, like Dundjinni was.

I thought the interface was very well done. I especially liked that when I clicked on a button and it said "Not implemented, use the hotkeys", my random guessing at which keys they were was actually correct. It's intuitive to say the least.
Thanks. Sorry that I forgot to include the full list of Hotkeys in an accompanying ReadMe (you can search the KS Comments for the hotkeys). The next version of the prototype will have that, or will have the hotkeys listed in-app.

The art in the prototype was very nice, and I really like the slight perspective in it. That's something I wish I could do in CC3.
That perspective effect is common in content produced by Lord Zsezse Works and Black Scrolls Games. It's not an inherent MapForge feature/effect. Just wanted to clarify that.

one final thing, I'd highly suggest making sure the ability to mix and match different asset sets is available. One thing I really like about CC3 is that I can be mapping using Jon Robert's style, and add symbols from the stock DD3 or Mike Schley's style or whatever.
The program will let you use art from many different Add-Ons in a single map, but it will be up to the user to figure out how to blend any wildly disparate art styles.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

JohnD
March 4th, 2017, 21:27
What kind of tilesets will you have at release?

I used NWN for ~ 12 years, what would my learning curve be like?

kalnaren
March 4th, 2017, 21:59
MapForge (the app) costs less than many CC3 symbol libraries. It's not like you'll be spending hundreds of dollars, as you did with CC3. Well, unless you get REALLY hooked and decide to buy EVERY content Add-On offered. But I figure the typical user will spend $25-$27 on the software, and maybe $10-40 on content Add-Ons. Some people will use MapForge without a license, and take advantage of the 9 free Add-Ons that will be coming out for it, so they'll have spent $0.

For that price I'd definitely consider picking up a copy. I like having multiple tools at my disposal.

More free and commercial Add-Ons for MapForge will be announced during the 18 days that remain in the campaign. Should be a very decent selection, with a notable increase in modern-day and sci-fi content.
I've seen complaints that there is TOO MUCH content. Indeed, there is more than any one user should need. I provide more than that because there will be many users, each with different needs. But seriously, someone on Reddit said they'd pass on MapForge because it was too expensive if you got ALL the DLC. My response was that it's like complaining that it's too expensive to get EVERY app available for your smartphone. Who does that?!

Interestingly enough, I see this complaint A TON in the modern DLC era where it's common for AAA companies to only provide "complete" experiences when you purchase ALL of the DLC. Train Simulator is a perfect example of this. DTG never intended people to buy the over $1k of DLC.. just the addons that had the content they want. But people seem to be conditioned that they're "missing out" if they don't have it all. I've also seen this complaint leveled at Fantasy Grounds.

I agree.. it's dumb. When you release it might be worth making a very blatant point in your marketing material that buyers are indeed getting a complete program, and DLC is strictly for asset content that people want -NOT functionality. You shouldn't have to state it, but yea :/

I think you may have missed the forest for the trees. Just because one of the only things that the prototype can do is make maps out of tiles, it doesn't mean that is the only thing that the finished MapForge application will be able to do. MapForge will be a full-fledge mapping program, like Dundjinni was.

I never actually used Dundjinni, so I don't have much of a frame of reference there :P.

I'll definitely try the fully featured program to see what it's capabilities are when you release.

Thanks. Sorry that I forgot to include the full list of Hotkeys in an accompanying ReadMe (you can search the KS Comments for the hotkeys). The next version of the prototype will have that, or will have the hotkeys listed in-app.

I never even bothered to look at any documentation for it.. still managed to load it up and make a map in under 10 minutes. I think that says something about your UI design :).

Took me a couple of years to get comfortable with CC3 lol.

That perspective effect is common in content produced by Lord Zsezse Works and Black Scrolls Games. It's not an inherent MapForge feature/effect. Just wanted to clarify that.

Gathered as much. But if they're available, I'm likely to use them :)

Thanks so much for the feedback!

You're welcome. I look forward to playing around with the program when it's released.

heruca
March 4th, 2017, 22:39
Stretch Goal #3 has been unlocked! MapForge will now have 9 free content Add-Ons! That should help offset the modest cost of the software.

An Update will be posted tonight on the KS page to preview the 4 Add-Ons there were just unlocked.

heruca
March 20th, 2017, 00:25
LOTS has happened since I last dropped by.

• A couple of new Add-Ons for MapForge were announced, by Bogie and Kepli (Dundjinni users will know the names), and their offerings both allow for publishing and commercial use. That makes for a total of 9 Add-Ons that allow for publishing and commercial use (and 3 of them are free!).

• A new "Commercial/Publisher Bundle" Pledge Level has been added to the MapForge Kickstarter campaign. Decided to limit this to the first 100 backers. Now only 16 slots remain.

• Be sure to check out the new video I posted in Update #8 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/1832918).

• The campaign is now at around 1450 backers.

• Two new Stretch Goals have been added, by backer request.

https://www.mapforge-software.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Stretch-Goal-1-6-Scrolls.png

MapForge is now aiming for the record of highest funded map-making software project on Kickstarter (currently it's in 3rd place). But with only 3 days remaining in the campaign, it's going to be a challenge. Click here (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/1835139) for more info.

donpaulo
March 21st, 2017, 03:21
I am a backer and am very excited to see this thread. I mistakenly posted one earlier but I reckon more "news" can't hurt right ?

saludos !

Bidmaron
March 21st, 2017, 03:50
I backed it even though I am a die-hard CC3+ fan

heruca
March 23rd, 2017, 04:54
Down to the last 2 hours!

Now with over 1800 backers. All Stretch Goals unlocked (again!).

MapForge is now the highest-funded mapping software project on Kickstarter.

Read this Update (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/1839200) if you've been on the fence. It might just change your mind.

Always try to end on a high note, they say. :)

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2017, 05:03
Alright, I had to jump in.

Don't know if I'll end up using it, but I've always appreciated your approach to the RPG community as a whole and wanted to reward you for that. Specifically, I've always felt you did a generous service with your VTT comparison chart. I've felt it was always unbiased and useful, something few publishers would ever do.

heruca
March 23rd, 2017, 11:46
Thanks, LordEntrails.

Expect a mapping app comparison chart in the not too distant feature. :)

heruca
January 9th, 2018, 18:24
For GMs in search of quick & easy-to-use battlemap creation software who may have missed out on the MapForge Kickstarter campaign...You can now get in on the MapForge Indiegogo campaign (https://bit.ly/2AxRTRK).

There are two new videos to check out, even if you already backed the Kickstarter. And the MapForge Beta release will probably be re-posted later tonight.

Wookiee420
January 9th, 2018, 20:46
not trying to stir the pot, or be a jerk, or anything negative, but i have a silly question............Your kickstarter asked for 9grand, you made 82grand, why do you need another round of funding before the program is released? You made over 9 times what you asked for, is this program that in depth?

damned
January 10th, 2018, 04:27
not trying to stir the pot, or be a jerk, or anything negative, but i have a silly question............Your kickstarter asked for 9grand, you made 82grand, why do you need another round of funding before the program is released? You made over 9 times what you asked for, is this program that in depth?

The program got much bigger.
Much of the 82 is shared with content owners.
Plus fees and stuff.
He quit his job to work on this full time.
Its not quite ready for proper release - though if you were a backer you can request beta access.
So he is trying to raise a little more - from new backers who might have missed out last time - so he can get it over the line.

Myrdin Potter
January 10th, 2018, 14:41
I was a Kickstarter backer. I find the beta somewhat clunky to use without great documentation but it has slowly improved since the first few releases. Hopefully it will get feature complete soon and be released.

heruca
January 22nd, 2018, 05:56

Damned summed it up rather concisely (thanks!), but if you want more detail, read the portion of this KS Update (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2066385) called "The coffer is empty". It answers your question more fully.

I certainly WISH I had made $82K, though. :)

LordEntrails
January 22nd, 2018, 20:38
To save others from doing the math;
$82k - 8% > $75,440
Less half to artists > $37,720
Minus 30% taxes > $26,404 (self-employment taxes suck don't they?)

$26,404 for 9 months of work.

Wookiee420
January 23rd, 2018, 00:05
To save others from doing the math;
$82k - 8% > $75,440
Less half to artists > $37,720
Minus 30% taxes > $26,404 (self-employment taxes suck don't they?)

$26,404 for 9 months of work.

again, not to be a jerk nor cause problems, but that isn't horrible. making $10 an hour gives you less than that for a year, even as an executive chef i am at $30 for 12 months.

All this said, if i were to make maps i would buy this software, so i'm not just talking trash. i am solely commenting on numbers and stuff

(also $26,404 is still more than $9k, did you undervalue your work that much? i do that, thats why i make $30k.. or are these hiccups that unexpected and serious?)

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2018, 00:23
I'm not taking a side on this either way (and I did back this KS). But just some things to note;

- Depending upon your source, the median salary for a software developer in the US is $70k-100k.
- Annualizing $26,404 to a year is $35,205, half or less than the median US salary.
- I don't believe Heruca lives in the US.
- The linked KS Update discusses technical challenges and the situation.
- The $9k Mapforge program is not the same $82k Mapforge program that was promised with all the unlocked add-ons.

Wookiee420
January 23rd, 2018, 00:26
makes sense :)

Ram Tyr
January 23rd, 2018, 13:55
I'm not taking a side on this either way
Me either.

- The $9k Mapforge program is not the same $82k Mapforge program that was promised with all the unlocked add-ons.

Did the KS backers receive the $9k program as a result of funding the KS @ $82k?

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2018, 16:38
Did the KS backers receive the $9k program as a result of funding the KS @ $82k?
KS backers have access to the beta builds. Don't know if I would consider that the $9k program or not. No $9k version of the application has been (or is planned to as far as I know) released. The full/production version of the program appears close to release when you look at the KS updates.

damned
January 23rd, 2018, 22:49

What I think LordEntrails is suggesting is that the program itself has more features (as well as much more content) than what it would have had at $9k.

LordEntrails
January 24th, 2018, 01:18
What I think LordEntrails is suggesting is that the program itself has more features (as well as much more content) than what it would have had at $9k.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

gqwebb
January 25th, 2018, 02:50
Hi folks. I am going to be creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both for print-resolution maps and lower-res maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. The program will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

The program should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions, but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

In late January or early February 2017, I'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign to try to fund the program's development. The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, likely in the $20-$25 range (at least during the Kickstarter campaign).

I'm trying to gauge public interest in this, so please let me know if such software would be of interest to you.

It is time to map, Im for ya!

Nylanfs
January 28th, 2018, 20:38
At least he isn't Ken. :-)

gtw2017
February 22nd, 2018, 13:41
I feel for you heruca - it it apparent that you're working your *** off (I've been keeping tabs on the map forge project out of interest) and are digging a rather deep hole by doing so and trying to honour your commitment to the backers on the tiny sum you have as compensation. Once again the darkside of kickstarter wherein raising a ton of money doesn't always equate to realization of a dream but exceptional pressure when the coffer runs dry all too quickly. I wish you nothing but the best in completing it.

heruca
May 23rd, 2018, 03:09
Thanks, gtw2017.

I came here to let everyone know that my MapForge mapping software was recently released (less than 2 months ago), that MapForge has a new website (https://www.mapforge-software.com/), and that the MapForge Store (https://www.mapforge-software.com/store/) is now open for business.

Some gaming genres were sorely under-represented by the original 50 content Add-Ons for MapForge, so I'm currently running a follow-up Kickstarter campaign to fund the creation of 26 more content Add-Ons for the software, to better support sci-fi RPGs (e.g. Starfinder, Star Wars, Traveller, Shadowrun, etc.). There's also some great new content for Fantasy and Modern Day genres. I hope you'll check it out (https://kck.st/2JTjphm). It's down to the last 3 days.

Oh, and MapForge v1.0.4 should be out within a couple of days. It adds support for hexgrid overlays, among other things.

damned
May 23rd, 2018, 03:46
Hi heruca Ive not received any communication or updates or notice that the product has been released.

JohnD
May 23rd, 2018, 04:52
Thanks, gtw2017.

I came here to let everyone know that my MapForge mapping software was recently released (less than 2 months ago), that MapForge has a new website (https://www.mapforge-software.com/), and that the MapForge Store (https://www.mapforge-software.com/store/) is now open for business.

Some gaming genres were sorely under-represented by the original 50 content Add-Ons for MapForge, so I'm currently running a follow-up Kickstarter campaign to fund the creation of 26 more content Add-Ons for the software, to better support sci-fi RPGs (e.g. Starfinder, Star Wars, Traveller, Shadowrun, etc.). There's also some great new content for Fantasy and Modern Day genres. I hope you'll check it out (https://kck.st/2JTjphm). It's down to the last 3 days.

Oh, and MapForge v1.0.4 should be out within a couple of days. It adds support for hexgrid overlays, among other things.

I've not yet done any downloads. Can you please advise what I should do at this point to get the portions that I backed?

donpaulo
May 23rd, 2018, 05:03
I recently downloaded the latest version (1.0.3)

although its a little laggy from time to time I like what I have seen from it so far.

I received a handy PDF with the extensions to the program that will help sort things out

Go over and register your copy and dl it

As mentioned there is an update coming as well

Full Bleed
May 23rd, 2018, 07:04
Hi heruca Ive not received any communication or updates or notice that the product has been released.
There has been 63 updates to the original Kickstarter. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/updates) Were you not subscribed to updates to a Kickstarter you backed?

Full Bleed
May 23rd, 2018, 07:08
I've not yet done any downloads. Can you please advise what I should do at this point to get the portions that I backed?

Per This Update: (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2177535)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mapforge-user-group/VTYBdl7xeL0/bGl1-dK9AAAJ

heruca
May 23rd, 2018, 11:42

Damned, did you sign up to the MapForge mailing list? I sent out the latest issue (https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u=d73c1c448721675a807a7ebfe&id=1ad3dd1a58) on May 5th. It belatedly mentions the release of the software.

FullBleed, thanks for posting that link.

heruca
May 23rd, 2018, 11:45

When you submit your Challenge Code (as per the instructions FullBleed linked to), I will send you the license info and the registration codes for any paid Add-Ons you pledged for. The 10 free Add-Ons can be downloaded from here (https://www.mapforge-software.com/product-category/free-add-ons/).

damned
May 23rd, 2018, 12:12
No I havent registered elsewhere for updates.
I get updates from other kickstarters via kickstarter...

damned
May 23rd, 2018, 12:14
I think this post by heruca is probably telling:

Last one to claim their license is a rotten egg!
Would you believe that well over half of the backers have yet to claim their license and/or their Add-On registration codes?! It's as if they don't know that MapForge has been officially released and that I've been issuing licenses since February. Yet hardly a day goes by that I don't receive an email or private message saying "Hey, I never got my license, how do I go about getting it?" There have been a lot of Updates with this information, but from now on, I'll just direct people here for step-by-step instructions on how to claim their rewards.

---

Id suggest that maybe it hasnt been well communicated...

heruca
May 23rd, 2018, 14:17
Here are links to just 6 of the Updates where I informed backers that they could claim their rewards.

Link 1 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2108550)
Link 2 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2109593)
Link 3 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2110952)
Link 4 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2112319)
Link 5 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2114199)
Link 6 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2127084)

When I saw that most people weren't responding, I also sent out mass emails to several hundred backers, inviting them to claim their license and registration codes. Not all of them, yet, but I'm gradually working my way through all 2000. There are limits to how many copies of the same mail I can send out before being assumed a spammer by either my ISP or my email provider, and having my account shut down.

Full Bleed
May 23rd, 2018, 19:50
No I havent registered elsewhere for updates.
I get updates from other kickstarters via kickstarter...

<snip>

Id suggest that maybe it hasnt been well communicated...
I don't know... Not sure where the disconnect is. I've only gotten updates on this Kickstarter *exclusively* via Kickstarter after supporting it. I honestly didn't sign up for anything or go to any external sites (despite being notified of them through the KS updates.) I can only guess that you somehow turned off notifications from Kickstarter on updates for this project after supporting it (or they're going into your spam folder or something.)

That said, I am one of the supporters who hasn't claimed his license yet (though I've followed development through beta to release.) I wasn't interested in beta testing it and don't mind waiting until it gets a few more releases under its belt.

I was supporting the development and am happy to wait for it to mature a bit before I start using it.

Bidmaron
May 24th, 2018, 04:26
Me too Trenloe And I purchased most of the add-one. In my case, I did receive most of not all of his notifications, I simply am swamped with work right now and don’t have time for much but a perusal of these boards.
I do grow frustrated though with all the layers of signups that kickstarters are expected to do after having put out good money to support a startup.
They said, I don’t have a better idea, so I guess I should just shut up.

damned
May 24th, 2018, 14:10
Hmmmm.... I get notifications from many other KS but not from this one...
I too have insufficient time to play with Betas...

JohnD
May 24th, 2018, 23:10
Per This Update: (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/posts/2177535)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mapforge-user-group/VTYBdl7xeL0/bGl1-dK9AAAJ

Thank you.

heruca
March 29th, 2021, 19:54
"Diverse Dungeons" Kickstarter (Dungeon-themed mapping content for MapForge)

https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/Diverse_Dungeons_KS_Project_Image.png (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/dungeon-diversity)

If you've ever struggled with your dungeon maps all looking basically the same, here's a solution. This crowdfunding campaign seeks to broaden MapForge's fantasy-genre content offerings by producing 9 more fantasy-themed mapping content Add-Ons, in order to better support the creation of top-down tactical-scale dungeon battlemaps for tabletop RPG systems such as D&D and Pathfinder.

Quick delivery of rewards is expected (May 2021), and there are no shipping costs involved, since it's all digital downloads. Note that it's a short campaign, which ends in 9 days.

Check out the campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/dungeon-diversity)

PS: Users of Fantasy Grounds Classic who use 50 pixel-per-grid-square maps can use MapForge for free, since a license isn't required for low-resolution output.

Dire Weasel
March 29th, 2021, 20:23
Does MapForge support 64-bit macOS yet?

heruca
April 6th, 2021, 20:18
No, and it won't, unless I someday rewrite the app in Unity.

But you can run MapForge on Macs that don't support 32-bit apps (OS X Catalina and Big Sur) using 3rd-party software called Crossover Mac (https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover#mac). It can be used for free for 2 weeks, to try it out.

heruca
April 6th, 2021, 20:19
The campaign is ending soon (24 hours), and it looks like it's going to be a very close thing. I'm hoping the new pledge level announced in Update #4 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/dungeon-diversity/posts/3150422) will help. The campaign is just $137 away from funding.

heruca
November 12th, 2021, 15:34
I'd like to announce the latest MapForge Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/more-modern-day-genre-mapping-content-for-mapforge-software), which ends soon. It's for porting much more Modern Day mapping content for use with MapForge.
Whether you want to make street maps for your Supers RPG campaign, interior maps for your d20 Modern game, or even post-apocalyptic urban maps, this campaign should interest you.

PS: Yes, I know the campaign almost certainly won't fund. I still have to try. I owe it to the artists involved.

Nylanfs
November 12th, 2021, 16:44
Shared :)

heruca
March 7th, 2022, 11:31
https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/MapForge_Even_More_Sci-Fi_Project_Image.png (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-sci-fi-content-add-ons-for-mapforge)

My latest Kickstarter campaign should interest GMs of sci-fi RPGs like Traveller and Starfinder who would like to make nice custom battlemaps for their game sessions. It ends in 2 hours, and needs about 10 more backers to get funded. I hope some of you will check it out (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-sci-fi-content-add-ons-for-mapforge).

sirkerry
March 7th, 2022, 21:23
https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/MapForge_Even_More_Sci-Fi_Project_Image.png (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-sci-fi-content-add-ons-for-mapforge)

My latest Kickstarter campaign should interest GMs of sci-fi RPGs like Traveller and Starfinder who would like to make nice custom battlemaps for their game sessions. It ends in 2 hours, and needs about 10 more backers to get funded. I hope some of you will check it out (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-sci-fi-content-add-ons-for-mapforge).

Well crap, completely missed that and I see that it didn't fund.

Ryuson
March 14th, 2022, 21:25
I would have been interested in this KS as well. ��

heruca
February 22nd, 2023, 19:13
I have a new Kickstarter campaign (https://bit.ly/3GXIHdu) going for anyone interested in isometric map-making. It's only $271 away from funding, but it ends in 26 hours.

https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/ISO_Content_KS_Project_Image_v3.png (https://bit.ly/3GXIHdu)

Yeah, I know, I should have posted about this sooner...

donpaulo
February 23rd, 2023, 05:47
I've backed most of these campaigns

Its a solid product at a reasonable cost

heruca
February 23rd, 2023, 19:24
Thanks, donpaulo!

BTW, the above KS just funded. Hooray!

heruca
June 5th, 2023, 22:47
Whether you want to make street maps for your Supers RPG campaign, interior maps for your d20 Modern game, or post-apocalyptic urban maps for your zombies game, check out this Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-modern-day-mapping-content-for-mapforge-software) and help make it happen.

https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/Modern_Day_KS_Project_Image.jpg (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-modern-day-mapping-content-for-mapforge-software)

And even if Modern Day mapping isn't your thing, this campaign is also a great way to pick up a MapForge license at a discount, in case you want to make fantasy or sci-fi maps, instead.

heruca
June 8th, 2023, 11:35
Update: Now less than $600 away from being funded.

I put together this YouTube playlist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc5wgQKqjfU&list=PLnOSpNvFah1HhAaVq1D5yWh7IpW8ZB-WN) to easily preview all the new mapping assets (in better quality than on the Kickstarter campaign page).

heruca
June 19th, 2023, 19:01
Update: Now only $221 away from being funded, with 4 days remaining. The Stretch Goals have been announced, here (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-modern-day-mapping-content-for-mapforge-software/posts/3834341).

heruca
June 23rd, 2023, 15:34
The Modern Day content Kickstarter just funded! Woohoo!

And it's only $68 away from Stretch Goal #1, with 3 hours remaining. :D

heruca
October 31st, 2023, 20:38
GMs of Fantasy, Modern Day, or Post-Apocalyptic TTRPGs who want to make isometric maps should check out this Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-isometric-mapping-content-for-mapforge).

http://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/Even_More_ISO_Content_KS_Project_Image.png (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-isometric-mapping-content-for-mapforge)

A quick glimpse at the content Add-Ons being offered:
https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/10_ISO_Offerings.png (https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/10_ISO_Offerings.png)

And even if isometric mapping isn't your thing, this campaign is also a great way to pick up a MapForge license at a discount, in case you want to make top-down or hextile maps, instead.

The campaign is about $1000 from funding, and ends in 17 days.

heruca
November 16th, 2023, 18:49
Sadly, the above-mentioned campaign won't fund, as mentioned in KS Update #3 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-isometric-mapping-content-for-mapforge/posts/3965322).

heruca
December 4th, 2023, 16:20
I ended up self-publishing the 10 Add-Ons from that failed Kickstarter campaign. All of them are now available for direct purchase. Links to each product are available here (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/even-more-isometric-mapping-content-for-mapforge/posts/3979812).

heruca
January 10th, 2024, 12:46
One of the goals of my current Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/additional-development-for-mapforge-map-making-app-for-rpgs), which launched yesterday, is to add support for exporting MapForge maps in UVTT format.

Another goal is a better way to manage the hundreds of content Add-Ons, so you can easily enable the Add-Ons you need for your current map while disabling anything that isn't needed, to maximize memory usage and speed up the workflow.

Stretch Goals, if achieved, will unlock additional features/improvements that will be voted on by the backers.

As usual, discounted MapForge licenses are being offered via this KS campaign, for those who don't already have one and would like to enable high-resolution output.

https://www.mapforge-software.com/Non-Secure/Images/More_features_for_MapForge.png (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/additional-development-for-mapforge-map-making-app-for-rpgs)

heruca
January 16th, 2024, 22:03
One-third funded, 23 days remaining.

heruca
January 25th, 2024, 16:25
The campaign is now half-funded, with 15 days remaining.

Read KS Update #1 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/additional-development-for-mapforge-map-making-app-for-rpgs/posts/4013321)

heruca
January 31st, 2024, 18:30
57% funded, 9 days remaining.

heruca
February 7th, 2024, 22:01
Woohoo! 104% funded, with 2 days remaining.

KS Update 3 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/additional-development-for-mapforge-map-making-app-for-rpgs/posts/4021905) mentions a new awesome reward.

Trenloe
February 7th, 2024, 22:08
Woohoo! 104% funded, with 2 days remaining.
That was a very pleasant surprise when I checked progress earlier today. Congratulations!