PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Creating Effects - NPCs

jonathanscullen
January 21st, 2017, 09:22
so I was going over the 5E Effects document that can be found in the fantasygrounds wiki (not allowed to post link ???). I am forcing on all the stuff below Creating Effects - NPCs and I have been having a lot of trouble getting things to work. Eventually I would like to make a trap that works like the spell macros.

So lets start off simple lets create the following attacks: [ATK:4] ,[ATK:-2], [ATK:1d4], [ATK:[STR]] like the wiki says. The first thing I noticed is the NPC sheets do not recognize this format in anyway but no worries this format is familiar in the combat tracker to lets change it there and see what happens. After some time I found that in order for the changes to be recognized you much deselect the combat tracker. So after you make a change put your cursor over the DM chat textbook and click. This lets you run the command but you cant save it. I found that [ATK:4] [ATK:-2] work but [ATK:1d4], [ATK:[STR]] does not work. Can you guys/girls get this to work?

Problems

Cant get effects to work in the NPCs page must be entered in the combat tracker(I am not talking about the text parsing that generates these codes)
Changes made in the combat tracker do not save so this method is usless in the long run.
Cant get [ATK: 1d4] to work.
Cant get [ATK:[STR]] to work.

El Condoro
January 21st, 2017, 10:29
- The NPC sheet is looking for specific text, formatted in a specific way to work (highlights when you mouse over it). For example, Melee Attack: +4 to hit will not work if you change it to Melee Atk: +4 to hit. So, you're correct here.
- Not sure what you mean here. If I add an effect to a NPC instance in the CT it remains until the duration expires or I delete it. If you mean for all NPCs of that type, then it won't save. A goblin with an effect ATK:1d4 will need to have the effect re-entered for the next goblin instance dragged onto the CT.
- Works fine for me. If I put Bless;ATK:1d4 in the effect list of a creature, when I attack FG rolls 1d20 and 1d4 for the roll. If it was Bless, I would add it to the Effects list and drag the icon onto the NPC (or PC) in the CT, rather than retype it each time.
- Me neither but I don't think it is intended to work with NPCs - it's for PC sheets.

LordEntrails
January 21st, 2017, 16:24
Effects can not be added to the NPC or PC sheet, they can only be added to the CT.

If you make the trap as an NPC and give it attacks and actions that have the same verbiage, but different values, as existing NPCs; then when added to the CT FG will parse those and create effects and actions on the CT for the GM just like ot does for an NPC.

Zacchaeus
January 21st, 2017, 20:55
You may find this post helpful (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35937-How-to-Automate-effects-on-NPCs); it's in the stickies above.

Myrdin Potter
January 21st, 2017, 23:13
If you are trying to build a new NPC, you need to follow the standard 5e wording and then FG will do a good job of parsing it when you drag to the combat tracker. If you are making boss characters or variations of a standard one, best to make a coy of the NPC and then edit the copy to add the abilities. When you drag onto the combat tracker it will parse.

I use effects to automate PC abilities. Up top in the last sticky is an excellent "complete class" series of examples done by Zacchaeus.