PDA

View Full Version : Demo vs Standard question?

TheClaireProject
January 21st, 2017, 07:49
So I really like the program, just found it. My issue is, the demo looks a lot different compared to the videos I've seen of 3.2. Specifically the backgrounds and buttons look different...which bothers me. So I was wondering if maybe it's JUST the free version that looks like this, or if it's just changed from the videos I saw uploaded on...November 3rd?

I'd hate to pay for the standard versions to get the other look if it doesn't change it.

Moon Wizard
January 21st, 2017, 08:15
All versions look the same.

The only differences are that the demo version doesn't allow you to save data when hosting a game.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 21st, 2017, 08:29
Hey TheClaireProject many of the videos will be displaying different rulesets and different themes.
The demo can run any of the included rulesets, and of the community rulesets and any of the community themes.
It cannot run any content that is encrypted (all the newer content from the store) - but it can play in games that are using these and will get them and display them fine.

TheClaireProject
January 21st, 2017, 09:28
Hey TheClaireProject many of the videos will be displaying different rulesets and different themes.
The demo can run any of the included rulesets, and of the community rulesets and any of the community themes.
It cannot run any content that is encrypted (all the newer content from the store) - but it can play in games that are using these and will get them and display them fine.

So how can I change the themes?

damned
January 21st, 2017, 09:41
Different rulesets have different themes. Some are included - you will see them listed as Extensions on selecting or creating a new campaign.
Others can be downloaded from this site.
Here are a couple for the MoreCore ruleset for example.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35056-MoreCore-Themes

TheClaireProject
January 21st, 2017, 09:49
I'm not sure if it's the hour or if I'm just being slow but this looks...confusing.

Is MoreCore a different ruleset? Different from 5e? The test campaign I'm running with my friends is the Lost Mine of Phandelver...

Can I find 5e extensions and add them somehow? Just into the files?

dulux-oz
January 21st, 2017, 10:44
Hi TCP, and Welcome! to the Community,

Yes, the MoreCore Ruleset is a different Ruleset from the 5E. There is an FG Wiki Article here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Development_Overview) that will help explain things.

Extensions (the term Plug-Ins might be more familial) and additions to a Ruleset (or more than one) that change or add to that Ruleset in specific ways. The DOE: Sound Extension, for example, adds the ability to control Sounds from a 3rd party app from within FG. There is a dedicated Extensions Forum under the Armour Forum, so take a look. There are also "sticked" threads in most Rulset Forums that list compatible Extensions, and the FG Wiki also has an Extensions page with a lot of Extensions listed.

In addition to all this, if you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

damned
January 21st, 2017, 11:50
I'm not sure if it's the hour or if I'm just being slow but this looks...confusing.

Is MoreCore a different ruleset? Different from 5e? The test campaign I'm running with my friends is the Lost Mine of Phandelver...

Can I find 5e extensions and add them somehow? Just into the files?

Hi TheClaireProject
Thats the first time you mention what ruleset you are using.
There are two official 5e themes - the leather look (default) and the EXtension - 5E Theme - Wizards.
There was an older theme - more cartoony - but that is not available anymore.
There are a couple of alternate 5e themes but not many.

LordEntrails
January 21st, 2017, 16:12
If you link us the video that you saw that you like the look of, someone can tell you what you need to do to get that look.

TheClaireProject
January 23rd, 2017, 04:40
Hi TheClaireProject
Thats the first time you mention what ruleset you are using.
There are two official 5e themes - the leather look (default) and the EXtension - 5E Theme - Wizards.
There was an older theme - more cartoony - but that is not available anymore.
There are a couple of alternate 5e themes but not many.

Thank you so much, Dulux-oz and Damned, for your information! I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry if my questions are lacking in information, I'm just now kind of figuring out what I'm wanting to do and what to ask (I just got a new job so I'm balancing figuring this out and getting situated with that. ^.^") Also yes, I noticed just before making this post in one of these videos, they DO show that the theme I was curious about is the 5E Theme - Wizards.

I have a couple of new questions...if I need to make a new post I will, but I figure I'll just ask here for now.

So...I want to do the Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign. I plan to buy that, with a month of Standard edition to host the game with my friends. However, I notice that to make things a bit easier on making their characters...I believe we will need the "Complete Core Class Pack", to drag things from there to the sheet in FG.

To tie in my questions with some visual...I have this video posted by the Fantasy Grounds YouTube page (it may even be one of you, though...I don't think so?). This link will go to the time and add some context to my question, I hope.

https://youtu.be/XUhYLoo1uoc?t=38m59s

Question 1: In the video, he drags the 'druid' class from "DD PHB Deluxe" onto the character sheet. After searching on the shop, I can't find a book labeled that, but I notice a few sections from the Core Class Pack's description say that they are "from the Player's Handbook". Is the Core Class Pack labeled "DD PHB Deluxe" in FG?

Question 2: Text taken from the Complete Core Class Pack page:

"Players purchasing this module can use it to create characters offline and bring those characters into games with any Dungeon Master (DM). Dungeon Masters who own this product can allow players to access it while they are connected to the DM by using the sharing option built into Fantasy Grounds. The players will no longer have access to the reference material upon disconnecting from the DM unless they also own the module."

Does this mean if I share the book, they can all use it to drag information to their character sheets in the session? Meaning they won't EACH have to buy the pack, and that I (as DM) won't have to make their character sheets for them? It seems to say that pretty simply, but I just want to make sure exactly (it's taking a bit of work to organize a time for all of us to get together, and I don't want everyone to set aside time to play, only to find out we're missing some materials or can't do something).

Question 3: I'm pretty sure the Core Class Pack, the PHB (if it isn't the Class Pack), and the campaign are all I need to do the session...are there any other packs or things I'll need to get specifically for this campaign?

I want to thank you all for the quick and friendly responses, as well. ♥ Means a lot~!

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 04:58
Hi TheClaireProject

If you get the standard subscription your players will also need the standard subscription. Get the Ultimate Subscription + Lost Mines and have your players ti in $5ea to ease the bump.

The Complete Core Classes is the FG equivalent of the Players Handbook. When the Wizards first granted Fantasy Grounds a license it was all new ground for them and they didnt want people to think they were getting a physical copy or even a pdf copy of the PHB so they wanted it called something else.

Buying the PHB/CCC as the GM means that the players can all use your PHB while connected to you. once copy only required.

Howvever if you want to keep it simple for the first adventure just give them the Pre-Gen characters included in the Lost Mines of Phandelver. It will speed up your getting started time and spread the cost out over a longer period.

So you will need Ultimate (sub) + LMoP
or
Ultimate (sub) + LMoP + Complete Core Classes if you want them to create their own characters from the PHB.

TheClaireProject
January 23rd, 2017, 05:13
Hi TheClaireProject

If you get the standard subscription your players will also need the standard subscription. Get the Ultimate Subscription + Lost Mines and have your players ti in $5ea to ease the bump.

The Complete Core Classes is the FG equivalent of the Players Handbook. When the Wizards first granted Fantasy Grounds a license it was all new ground for them and they didnt want people to think they were getting a physical copy or even a pdf copy of the PHB so they wanted it called something else.

Buying the PHB/CCC as the GM means that the players can all use your PHB while connected to you. once copy only required.

Howvever if you want to keep it simple for the first adventure just give them the Pre-Gen characters included in the Lost Mines of Phandelver. It will speed up your getting started time and spread the cost out over a longer period.

So you will need Ultimate (sub) + LMoP
or
Ultimate (sub) + LMoP + Complete Core Classes if you want them to create their own characters from the PHB.

That's something I saw as well. We all plan to buy a standard month, so no worries there. They also have all done work to make a character while we wait for my paycheck, so I feel they should be able to use them as well, though I do appreciate you thinking of ways for me to save some time and cash. ^.^

Will I have to do anything special to get them to share the book, or do they have access to my purchased assets by clicking the buttons, simply because they are connected to me?

Also, that 5E Wizards theme...does that come with any of those packs, or can I check the wiki for that extension? It may have already been stated and I apologize if I missed it.

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 05:19
For both the LMoP and the CCC/PHB you will need to go to Library and Module Activation and activate both for the new campaign.
You will then drag the Green Tick on to the DD PHB Deluxe in the Data Module Activation window. This will start pushing it out to players.

They will need to do step 1 and then they will see all the options there.
Other things you (and your players) might do while in the Library are activate shortcuts for Items, Spells etc so they appear in the Sidebar Menu.

EDIT: Im 90% sure the theme ships with the PHB.

TheClaireProject
January 23rd, 2017, 05:32
For both the LMoP and the CCC/PHB you will need to go to Library and Module Activation and activate both for the new campaign.
You will then drag the Green Tick on to the DD PHB Deluxe in the Data Module Activation window. This will start pushing it out to players.

They will need to do step 1 and then they will see all the options there.
Other things you (and your players) might do while in the Library are activate shortcuts for Items, Spells etc so they appear in the Sidebar Menu.

EDIT: Im 90% sure the theme ships with the PHB.

Mmm...so will they have access to the extension as well? I assume not since that's something you pick before launching...hmn.

Alright. If I can think of anymore questions I'll make another post. I've suggested the idea to them (there's going to be 5 players + me DMing, so that's $70 total, $10 from them and I'll make up the remaining $20 for the PHB and campaign).

Thank you so so so much for your quick responses Damned, I deeply appreciate it. ♥

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2017, 05:42
Mmm...so will they have access to the extension as well? I assume not since that's something you pick before launching...hmn.

Alright. If I can think of anymore questions I'll make another post. I've suggested the idea to them (there's going to be 5 players + me DMing, so that's $70 total, $10 from them and I'll make up the remaining $20 for the PHB and campaign).

Thank you so so so much for your quick responses Damned, I deeply appreciate it. ♥
Extensions are controlled by the GM. i.e. If you load the Wizards 5E theme, then they will get it as well. Right now their is no ability for player to control the theme.

TheClaireProject
January 23rd, 2017, 05:45
Extensions are controlled by the GM. i.e. If you load the Wizards 5E theme, then they will get it as well. Right now their is no ability for player to control the theme.

Awesome!! :D Makes it SO much easier!

So one more question...I assume with the paid standard version..when I open it up, it'll prompt me to login? Or is it I download the program from the site under my account and it has my purchases and such?

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 05:45
yep - as LordEntrails says - the GM sets almost all the options for the game - themes, extensions, what books can be used etc.
players can change their dice colour and portrait and maybe a couple of other things...

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 05:46
Awesome!! :D Makes it SO much easier!

So one more question...I assume with the paid standard version..when I open it up, it'll prompt me to login? Or is it I download the program from the site under my account and it has my purchases and such?

You enter your forum username and password and the license key in the settings window on/after installation, and run the updater. It will check your license and download anything you bought from the store.

TheClaireProject
January 23rd, 2017, 05:59
You enter your forum username and password and the license key in the settings window on/after installation, and run the updater. It will check your license and download anything you bought from the store.

Now, hopefully soon I'll be getting a new computer, having a buddy of mine build one. Does it always ask for the license key and I just have to put it in? Or is the license key linked to the account I buy it with from purchase?

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 06:04
You enter this info one time and it saves it. You can move the license to anew computer when that time comes.

TheClaireProject
February 13th, 2017, 02:31
Coming back with a few more questions, hoping this bumps the post back up...

What's the difference between Standard edition and the Ultimate? At first glance I didn't see too much...

In this overview video Polygon did on YouTube, they showed some combat, i.e. some goblins attacked. The issue was that, if I recall correctly, the goblin's positions couldn't be seen by the other players unless they were marked as friendly on the player's side by the DM. Is there a way to let the players see the position of enemies in combat?

Moon Wizard
February 13th, 2017, 02:46
The only difference between the Standard and Ultimate editions are whether the players connecting to a game you are running as a GM need their own license or not. If you have a Standard edition license, then the players will need a Standard or Ultimate edition license. If you have an Ultimate edition license, then the players can use any edition license, including the Free edition.

Both the Standard and Ultimate editions come with the core OGL data for 5E, Pathfinder and 3.5E.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
February 13th, 2017, 02:52
In this overview video Polygon did on YouTube, they showed some combat, i.e. some goblins attacked. The issue was that, if I recall correctly, the goblin's positions couldn't be seen by the other players unless they were marked as friendly on the player's side by the DM. Is there a way to let the players see the position of enemies in combat?
When NPCs/Monsters are first added to the combat tracker, then to the map, they are automatically set to be invisible. simple change the visibility toggle for each creature as and when required: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Combat_Tracker

damned
February 13th, 2017, 11:53

Sometimes folks do videos about this stuff and they get it it wrong too :)

TheClaireProject
February 13th, 2017, 13:54
So if I have the ultimate edition, I can let anyone host as GM regardless of their licensing?

I'm half tempted to just buy the standard edition now and fiddle with it...watching videos is only answering a few questions at a time and most of them are years old...

♥ Thanks for the quick responses guys.

dulux-oz
February 13th, 2017, 14:33
No, if you have the Ultimate only you can GM/host but your players can have any license.

If your players want to GM/host then they'll need either a Standard or an Ultimate License - with a Standard everyone will need at least a Standard; with an Ultimate everyone else can play with any License.

Note that the host is [I]always[/I} the GM.

TheClaireProject
February 14th, 2017, 14:52
I see...

I have some more questions...I was trying to get my buddy to join so I could test these things, but he wouldn't do it. >.>

When I have "Show GM dice rolls" on, it has the Dice Tower option on in the corner. When I put a dice in the tower, in the chat it shows "DICE TOWER: ?" and then the number underneath. Does that mean it's only showing me the number the dice tower shows, while everyone else sees the ?

Secondly, I tried joining as a demo user from one computer while hosting as standard from my main, which leads me to two questions:

a) Before launching the session, it DOES SAY the connection test succeeds, meaning the port is open (sat on the phone with an Armstrong rep for 10 minutes trying to open it because I can't access their equipment >.>), however when trying to join using the external IP from the other PC it couldn't join. How do I find if it's actually working, and what do I do if they can't join?

b) The second pc could join using the private IP, so I did that. When trying to create a character, it gave me an odd script error, 17 I think. My question is, when my friends are able to join, I have the PHB open to be shared, how can I make sure they can create their own characters with it, or will I have to do it for them?

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 15:41
From inside the same network you will probably not be able to test using the external IP. As you found, it works using the internal IP. I've never heard of anyone having a successful connection test but then people outside the network not being able to join, so I wouldn't worry about it. But, you could ask here if someone would be willing to try to connect to your game. If you say a time frame you would be available to do such a thing, someone would probably volunteer.

To see what the players see, you don't have to join from a second computer, you can do it right from your host computer. It's a little tricky if running through Steam or on a Mac, but still doable. Just launch a second session of FG, and instead of using the alias or IP, use localhost​ That way you can see just what the options do.

Kozmo
February 14th, 2017, 15:46
Or just invite me to your game. I just purchased it last night.

TheClaireProject
February 14th, 2017, 16:21
From inside the same network you will probably not be able to test using the external IP. As you found, it works using the internal IP. I've never heard of anyone having a successful connection test but then people outside the network not being able to join, so I wouldn't worry about it. But, you could ask here if someone would be willing to try to connect to your game. If you say a time frame you would be available to do such a thing, someone would probably volunteer.

To see what the players see, you don't have to join from a second computer, you can do it right from your host computer. It's a little tricky if running through Steam or on a Mac, but still doable. Just launch a second session of FG, and instead of using the alias or IP, use localhost​ That way you can see just what the options do.

So I could join from my same client and they would BOTH be standard?

Or just invite me to your game. I just purchased it last night.

Umn...hmm...it's 11:20AM EST right now...so...11 hours from now, I'll message you on here?

Kozmo
February 14th, 2017, 17:31
That will work for me. I'll message you

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 18:26
Using localhost for the connection on the same computer is special functionality to allow one player instance (and one only on the same computer) to connect to the GM without a license key conflict. The player instance will connect as a player to your standard and have full player functionality.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 18:43

Sort of. The second one would be a player/client view. Not sure if you could have other players join or not.

Umn...hmm...it's 11:20AM EST right now...so...11 hours from now, I'll message you on here?
Post on here. Not sure I will be available, but odds are someone maybe. You can also jump into the Discord server and see if someone there is available.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36377-New-Official-Discord-Server

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 20:21
Not sure if you could have other players join or not.
The base GM instance functionality doesn't change. If you're running standard then standard and ultimate licenses can still join and not effect the localhost instance. This is great functionality that allows the GM to run this second instance while playing to check on exactly what the players are seeing - invaluable while learning Fantasy Grounds as the player and GM view can be quite different.

Nylanfs
February 14th, 2017, 22:18
And for displaying on a second monitor / projector for playing at the table.

damned
February 14th, 2017, 22:23
On the same computer you use address localhost.
On another computer on the same LAN you use the GMs Internal IP Address.
When remote you use the Public IP Address or Alias.
When using Hamachi you connect to the GMs Hamachi IP Address.

If you have a copy of the PHB (or just SRD) you go to Library -> Modules and you activate the Module by opening the book which makes it available to you.
To make it available to players you then drag a green tick to it to enable it for the players.
The players must also go to Library -> Modules and activate it by opening the book.

The content will then be populated in various locations including in Library and in Sidebar icons.
You can additional Sidebar icons to your view by selecting them at the top of the Library window.