PDA

View Full Version : D&D Digital future announcement

Asterionaisien
January 20th, 2017, 20:30
Hello guys, what are your opinions about this announcement and how it could impact Fantasy Grounds gaming?

https://www.idigitaltimes.com/wizards-coast-talks-digital-future-magic-gathering-and-dungeons-dragons-579461

https://company.wizards.com/article/press/making-moves

Bidmaron
January 20th, 2017, 21:32
I don't think it will affect things at all. If WITC is stupid enough to repeat their 4e disastrous attempt at a real time 3D role playing experience... well no one is that dumb

viresanimi
January 20th, 2017, 21:50
You can always rely on dumb in life. Just sayin'..

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2017, 22:44
I don't think it has anything to do with VTT's. Mostly it seems to be MTG effort, but they also talk about a 3D virtual immersion game,or something like it, for D&D.

LindseyFan
January 20th, 2017, 23:05
That is what I took from the article too, Lord of the wonderful Entrails. And magic could benefit from something like that. Maybe a Pokemon style AR experience,

ddavison
January 20th, 2017, 23:53
We don't expect any changes to what we are currently doing. I just spoke with several of our contact last week about a couple future items we are working on with them.

Mr Hale
January 21st, 2017, 00:20
They have had limited success doing D&D online up till Fantasy Grounds as far as I can see. Some of the old games were fun, like Baldur's Gate. However there MMO sucks massive ***. Mostly due to it being 4e based. 4e being by far the worst incarnation of the game ever. I did say it was D&D because it doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence with D&D.
I do not think this will become a problem at all, and even if it does, I think we will all be long dead of old age, or so overcome by alzhimers, or demensia (spelled those wrong), that we won't care.

Ken L
January 21st, 2017, 04:48
This actually may be interesting if they contract a game studio to do this for them rather than trying to perform this work in house. I would not under estimate what an actual game developer can accomplish.

Bidmaron
January 21st, 2017, 05:40
Paizo tried it too. The GoblinWorks abortion was their attempt, and I don't think it is a coincidence that they have now issued digital licenses to both SW and Lone Wolf Development once the last hope at resurrecting the disaster vanished when the company that was to acquire GoblinWorks backed out.

You'd need a big house on the order of Blizzard to do something justice, and I hope it doesn't happen unless it is along the lines of Neverwinter Nights or something like that.

Ken L
January 21st, 2017, 18:43
There are a number of well made indy titles, goblin works was doing something far too ambitious imho. I'm still impressed with what skirmish did with a single engineer.

gqwebb
January 24th, 2017, 02:59
And let us not forget the brave troop from the sword coast, head hung down

that had a shot, regardless I shall buy it too...,

Galach
January 26th, 2017, 18:40
Do not forget Sword Coast Legends, which is garbage, simple as that. The main storyline of the game is shallow, co-op mode is very poor being basically a dungeon-cleaning repetition, the “DMing” mode is worse than what we had on Neverwinter Nights, the game is heavy and unstable.
I have many, many trash titles on my steam account, but this was the worse acquisition on my gaming life, completely amateur-grade game, and it is definitely not worth the price.

Plus, seriously, I do not see the point of making D&D (or any other RPG) an “oculus-rift thing”: I enjoy very much the idea of a full 3D gaming experience, but a computer/console game is completely different from a tabletop RPG – one have an script, like a movie, the other is about let our imaginations roam free.

Fantasy Grounds is a great tool on that regard, because it can improve our tabletop experience, without messing up with our “theaters of mind”, while a 3D iteration of a tabletop RPG would be forcefully anchored on pre-made blocks of textures and actions.

I love computer games (I play at least 20 hours a week), but tabletop RPG is one thing, and RPG computer Games/MMOs are another very different. Both are great, just as they are.