PDA

View Full Version : 5E Tool Proficiencies as Skills Module

Remedeez
January 20th, 2017, 15:45
5E Tool Proficiencies as Skills Module

Overview

The purpose of this module is to give DM's an easy way to drag-n-drop Tool Proficiencies to the PCs in their campaigns.

All the Tools listed in the Players Handbook (p. 154 for those with the physical copy) are in this module. None of the flavor text is included, but if you are using the Fantasy Grounds PHB Deluxe, the flavor text is on the item entries themselves.This module does not include the items. Only the title of them entered as a skill, to give players Proficiency bonuses, thus making usage of their "skills" with these items an automate-able roll check.

I literally made this as a module to save myself time when running side-campaigns, one-shots etc. Having these in a module is easy to just turn it on, and have everything ready-to-go for new characters or characters who learn new tool proficiencies as games progress.

Usage

As with other modules, download and place the module file in your Modules folder. When inside your FG campaign, navigate to the module activation in the Library and open the book icon for this module.

Navigate to the Skills section in FG.

You will also notice some Tools have categories as listed in the PHB. These categories are also usable in this module, so you can quickly sort through the Tools, as seen in the screenshot below.

Have a character open who has a Tool Proficiency you wish to assign. Simply drag the Tool Proficiency Skill to the Character.

In the screenshot below, I've given Thieves' Tools to a Level 5 Rogue. Upon giving her proficiency, she now gets her +3 Proficiency Bonus, and in the future she can easily make Thieves' Tools roll checks from her Skills tab on her character sheet now!

Updated 24 Jan 2017

The Vehicles Skill Proficiency has been expanded to Land, Water and Air vehicles as separate skills.
Please re-download the .mod file and replace the old version.

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2017, 16:27
Thanks!

Can one of you Mods add this to the 5E Resources sticky?

LindseyFan
January 20th, 2017, 22:56
You completely rock. Just sayin'! :)

Remedeez
January 24th, 2017, 14:39
LordEntrails, that would be pretty cool! If this doesn't go there though, that's cool too!

LindseyFan, ha! Thanks! I just like saving time since my long-term group likes to play one-shots and side campaigns, EVEN THOUGH we have a long-running campaign we play every Friday night. :)

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 16:14
I stickied it now, sorry for the delay but I had a sever computer problem (i.e. it blew up) so it's taken a day or two for me to catch up with stuff.

Remedeez
January 24th, 2017, 16:45
I stickied it now, sorry for the delay but I had a sever computer problem (i.e. it blew up) so it's taken a day or two for me to catch up with stuff.

No need to apologize!! I'm just trying to make useful stuff for folks to use (albeit, my "things" are very small contributions indeed).

So sorry to hear about your computer!! I hope the damage wasn't too severe! :(

Total wipe out, but it does mean I got a new one :)

Nickademus
January 24th, 2017, 18:26
One thing I noticed, you have land vehicles and water vehicles together as a single tool proficiency. These are technically two different ones.

Remedeez
January 24th, 2017, 19:11
One thing I noticed, you have land vehicles and water vehicles together as a single tool proficiency. These are technically two different ones.

I did think about expanding the Vehicle Proficiencies (and probably should have from the get-go!) but I'm not sure why I didn't, now that I think about it. I had a reason, and I've forgotten it. I think I was sleep-deprived when I first packaged these up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Edit: Doh. There's like a bajillion (not really) vehicles in the PHB and I think I was confused what was considered a rowed-vessel or not (for the water vehicles). I'll caffeinate myself up and get to work straight-away. (I never tout myself as a very smart person :p )

Will post updated version shortly. :D

Nickademus
January 24th, 2017, 19:56
I think you misunderstand. The way the PHB is laid out, there are only two vehicle-tool proficiencies: Vehicles (land) and Vehicles (water). You can see these proficiencies in the Sailor and Folk Hero backgrounds.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to be thorough, you could probably add Vehicles (air) since the DMG has an airship.

Remedeez
January 24th, 2017, 21:52
I think you misunderstand. The way the PHB is laid out, there are only two vehicle-tool proficiencies: Vehicles (land) and Vehicles (water). You can see these proficiencies in the Sailor and Folk Hero backgrounds.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to be thorough, you could probably add Vehicles (air) since the DMG has an airship.

While, yes I do agree with you, the PHB does lay out the Proficiencies as 2 "categories", I personally think it wouldn't be detrimental to then break down those categories into the vehicles listed in the PHB (Rowed-vessels, sailing ships, etc).

I find it not much different than how the musical instruments are. It could have just been "string instruments", "wind instruments" etc., but alas WotC gave us specific instruments here.

But yes, I should at the least include the specifications given in the PHB. And I will! :)

Edit:
The mod has been updated. The vehicle proficiencies have been expanded to Land, Water and Air (for now). Will consider (if and) how to expand those out.

Please re-download file from first post in this thread to see the updated Vehicle skills expanded.

Thegroo
January 25th, 2017, 01:35
Thank you for the work

Gwydion
February 28th, 2017, 14:34
While, yes I do agree with you, the PHB does lay out the Proficiencies as 2 "categories", I personally think it wouldn't be detrimental to then break down those categories into the vehicles listed in the PHB (Rowed-vessels, sailing ships, etc).

I find it not much different than how the musical instruments are. It could have just been "string instruments", "wind instruments" etc., but alas WotC gave us specific instruments here.

But yes, I should at the least include the specifications given in the PHB. And I will! :)

Edit:
The mod has been updated. The vehicle proficiencies have been expanded to Land, Water and Air (for now). Will consider (if and) how to expand those out.

Please re-download file from first post in this thread to see the updated Vehicle skills expanded.

Awesome work! Thanks so much for sharing.

Seananigans
March 29th, 2017, 22:05
Are things like Thieves' Tools not supposed to have a Dex modifier, just the Prof modifier?

Zacchaeus
March 29th, 2017, 22:32
Are things like Thieves' Tools not supposed to have a Dex modifier, just the Prof modifier?

Thieves tools allow you to add your proficiency modifier to pick locks or disarm traps attemps. Picking a lock or disarming a trap is a DEX based skill roll; so in essence yes you get your DEX modifier to your thieves tools 'skill'

Nickademus
March 30th, 2017, 00:29
While it's not obvious from the layout of the PHB, tools are ability checks just like skills. The proper way to write it would be a Dexterity (Thieves' Tools) check. So yeah, it would add proficiency to your dexterity check.

Now, tools are different from skills in that they don't hold to a single ability score all the time. So the DM may call for other checks such as an Intelligence (Thieves' Tools) or a Wisdom (Thieves Tools) for certain situations, such as when disabling a wagon brake (something easy to get at but you need to know which tool to use) or when judging how likely a complex lock is to break one of your tools, respectively.

Wulfquee
May 19th, 2017, 17:57
why have a extensions for skill checks with tools ? is it not just go edit on skills and add a new skill like thieve tools and set it up ? or have i misunderstood this ?

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2017, 18:56
why have a extensions for skill checks with tools ? is it not just go edit on skills and add a new skill like thieve tools and set it up ? or have i misunderstood this ?

You haven't misunderstood. The author of the module has just done all that for you enabling the skills to be picked all ready set up for you.

Remedeez
May 21st, 2017, 05:14
You haven't misunderstood. The author of the module has just done all that for you enabling the skills to be picked all ready set up for you.

Yep yep, this exactly.
I just made it for easy set-up. Its just a module, not an extension :)

YoodleTheNoodle
May 3rd, 2020, 19:35
This is awesome, thank you for sharing! Saved me a big headache!

Nikoh
November 6th, 2020, 09:40
Hi @Remedeez, work it with FG Unity?

charmov
February 25th, 2021, 05:37
This is great! My group also uses skateboards, bikes, ice skates, snowboard, surfboards, airplane's, hang gliders, and even spaceships with the various vehicle proficiencies. Thanks!

webdove
January 22nd, 2022, 06:37
Any idea why I only see a few choices under "Tool Proficiencies as Skills"?