PDA

View Full Version : Question about module opening permissions for players

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 17:09
If a player has a module in their directory (for example my conditions and effects module) but the DM does NOT have that module, the way I understood that working was that the player would attempt to open the module from their end, the DM would get a message saying a player is requesting a module, they would go in their library and green check mark it.

This isn't working for me. Logic tells me that the DM ALSO must own the module. Is this true, or am I doing something wrong?

It seems a player who has an effects module they'd like to use should be able to do that whether the DM has it or not.

Nickademus
January 19th, 2017, 18:00
It worked for me last night. I opened a module as a player that the GM did not have.

Once the GM drags the green checkmark, what happens? The hourglass symbol remains, I think, but the module appears open in the Library.

Also, effects might not show for a player even if the module opens properly. They would be in the effect window, though the GM may have to set each one to visible for the player to see (something that can't happen if the GM doesn't have the module to open).

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 18:39
It worked for me last night. I opened a module as a player that the GM did not have.

Once the GM drags the green checkmark, what happens? The hourglass symbol remains, I think, but the module appears open in the Library.

Also, effects might not show for a player even if the module opens properly. They would be in the effect window, though the GM may have to set each one to visible for the player to see (something that can't happen if the GM doesn't have the module to open).

When I tested this, I had the module on my player computer, but not loaded on the DM machine. When I opened the player library, said module doesn't even appear. Hmmm....

I wonder if it's that whole DM/Player par5e setting I remember, although this was build directly in FG.

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 19:12
Here is proof that the module is there, but doesn't open for the player side. Witch Hunter does, why not the other?

Moon Wizard
January 19th, 2017, 19:46
I'm guessing here without testing the exact scenario.

The Effects module might have been built as a GM only module, which means it doesn't show up on the player side by default. Since the GM doesn't have it either, then it just doesn't appear. You can open the module file (just a ZIP file), and change db.xml to client.xml in order to change it's default behavior from GM module to player module.

Regards,
JPG

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 19:49

The Effects module might have been built as a GM only module, which means it doesn't show up on the player side by default. Since the GM doesn't have it either, then it just doesn't appear. You can open the module file (just a ZIP file), and change db.xml to client.xml in order to change it's default behavior from GM module to player module.

Regards,
JPG

Moon. Thank you SO much. That explains a lot. Question... When you build out mods in FG and export them, is there a setting that makes them client/GM ?

Moon Wizard
January 19th, 2017, 19:50
They are GM by default. There's no option currently to choose that they should be exported as player modules.

Regards,
JPG

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 19:50
They are GM by default. There's no option currently to choose that they should be exported as player modules.

Regards,
JPG

WISH LIST!!! omw

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 20:08

Regards,
JPG

Changing db.xml to client.xml actually did NOT work, what else could it be?

Moon Wizard
January 19th, 2017, 20:36
Can you post the module, or a link to it?

Thanks,
JPG

Nickademus
January 19th, 2017, 20:37
Try common.xml, that's what it used to be.

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 20:47
Try common.xml, that's what it used to be.

Doug's build of the Witch Hunter uses client.xml and that DOES work, just didn't work on mine. I'll try common.xml

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 20:48
Can you post the module, or a link to it?

Thanks,
JPG

PMed you.

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 20:51
Doug's build of the Witch Hunter uses client.xml and that DOES work, just didn't work on mine. I'll try common.xml

common.xml was a no go.

Moon Wizard
January 20th, 2017, 08:53
I just used the modules you sent me on my laptop which was connecting to my desktop which had a brand new 5E campaign loaded. When I used the original version with db.xml, it did not on the player modules list. When I changed to use client.xml, it appeared on the player modules list.

There are two things that could be overriding your changes:
* Folders in the modules subfolder take precedence over .MOD files.
* If another module has the same name tag in the definition.xml file, then there will be a conflict; and you may end up with either version depending on what order the OS returns the files in.

So, make sure that you don't have more than one module with the same file name or the same definition.xml name tag.

Regards,
JPG

rob2e
January 20th, 2017, 09:05
I just used the modules you sent me on my laptop which was connecting to my desktop which had a brand new 5E campaign loaded. When I used the original version with db.xml, it did not on the player modules list. When I changed to use client.xml, it appeared on the player modules list.

There are two things that could be overriding your changes:
* Folders in the modules subfolder take precedence over .MOD files.
* If another module has the same name tag in the definition.xml file, then there will be a conflict; and you may end up with either version depending on what order the OS returns the files in.

So, make sure that you don't have more than one module with the same file name or the same definition.xml name tag.

Regards,
JPG

I'll look into this... ThanX Moon.