PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Random Encounters as of version 3.2

jonathanscullen
January 18th, 2017, 21:11
Hey
I thought that I should start a thread so people could ask questions about the new Random Encounters add on.

I was looking at the new Random Encounters part of Version 3.2 and was trying to figure out how you can roll to perhaps not get a guy. I first thought I could roll a die and subtract a number eg roll 1d6-5 thus there would be a 1 in 6 chance to get that monster but you can get a negative amount of monsters. Does anybody have any solutions?

vodokar
January 18th, 2017, 22:15
I don't see what you are trying to accomplish by doing this.

If you want to use the random encounters combined with a random monster check, simply make a random monster table that has some entries with result of "no encounter" and then the entries for each type of encounter when they do get an encounter. Then simply drag your prepared random encounters onto each appropriate random monster table entry so that they will be linked.

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2017, 22:39
Welcome to FG Jonathan.

The random in random encounters is all about the number of monsters that appear rather than wheather they appear at all. The solution you are looking for is as vodokar says above.

Trenloe
January 18th, 2017, 22:49
Welcome to the forums jonathanscullen

You can do what you're asking. The gotcha is that the created encounter will show between -4 to 0 in the # entry for the creature in the created encounter. When this encounter is activated (added to the combat tracker) creatures with 0 or less won't appear.

Here's an example:
1) The random encounter has possibilities of: 1 Bugbear in 6; (0, 0, 1 or 2) Hobgoblins and 1-6 Goblins.
2) Our test has rolled -2 bugbears, 6 goblins and 0 Hobgoblins.
3) When we add this encounter to the combat tracker only the 6 goblins are added.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17475

vodokar
January 18th, 2017, 23:53
That is pretty cool. I didn't know you could do that. So, now we know 2 ways.

jonathanscullen
January 21st, 2017, 07:26
Thanks guys that helps a lot. Trenton thanks for pointing out that creatures with 0 or less don't appear in the combat tracker. I have not noticed. Currently I am using fantasy grounds to build all my adventures and using roll 20 for actual game play(moving tokens, changing maps, tracking hp. I do all my rolls in FG) thus I do a lot of duplicate work . One of the things I have a real hard time with is the combat tracker it gets way too cluttered to run an encounter from there plus I am having a real hard time getting the NPC effects to work.(eg make an NPC trap DEX save 12 for half damage). In Fantasy grounds damage is always added even when it is not supposed to and you cant even pull punches so I am kind of curious how you guys use fantasy grounds to run your campaign?

JohnD
January 21st, 2017, 08:05
Thanks guys that helps a lot. Trenton thanks for pointing out that creatures with 0 or less don't appear in the combat tracker. I have not noticed. Currently I am using fantasy grounds to build all my adventures and using roll 20 for actual game play(moving tokens, changing maps, tracking hp. I do all my rolls in FG) thus I do a lot of duplicate work . One of the things I have a real hard time with is the combat tracker it gets way too cluttered to run an encounter from there plus I am having a real hard time getting the NPC effects to work.(eg make an NPC trap DEX save 12 for half damage). In Fantasy grounds damage is always added even when it is not supposed to and you cant even pull punches so I am kind of curious how you guys use fantasy grounds to run your campaign?

That's messed up dude. Take a bit of time and learn how to use FG and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Roll20 can't hold FG's jockstrap.

damned
January 21st, 2017, 08:35
Hi jonathanscullen .

My advice to new GMs is to learn the Combat Tracker and Combat First.
Running Combat in FG is soooooo much better than in roll20 or any other VTT. It really is.
There are oodles of ways to pull punches. Whether or not you should pull em is another story.
You can use Manual Rolls and Hide GM rolls.
You can modify the monsters in the CT before they roll or mid combat etc.
Take some time to learn the CT and I think you will really appreciate it.

LordEntrails
January 21st, 2017, 16:28

As others have mentioned, the combat tracker is really powerful. I've run with over 40 active combats and not really had any problem with teh CT, so I'm confused what's causing you problems.

Tell us your situation and give us some screen shots and we can help you figure out the best way to get done what you want.

JohnD
January 21st, 2017, 16:45
Yeah my CT frequently is 3 times longer than the screen space with no issues.

Zhern
January 21st, 2017, 17:55
In Fantasy grounds damage is always added even when it is not supposed to and you cant even pull punches so I am kind of curious how you guys use fantasy grounds to run your campaign? I don't pull punches. PCs sometimes die. But as the others have mentioned, I would encourage you to take a bit of time to learn the intricacies of the Combat Tracker. It is extremely powerful and makes the job of DM so much easier. The one game I run through Roll20, while enjoyable, requires at least double the work, if not more, than the other I run through FG.

I can guarantee if you make the investment on time that you will be well rewarded by the power of FG.

JohnD
January 21st, 2017, 20:14
We use FG extremely well and it does an amazing job but like anything else that is powerful you need to put in some time to learn how to maximize your use of it.

jonathanscullen
January 22nd, 2017, 00:42
As others have mentioned, the combat tracker is really powerful. I've run with over 40 active combats and not really had any problem with teh CT, so I'm confused what's causing you problems.

Tell us your situation and give us some screen shots and we can help you figure out the best way to get done what you want.

Ya the thing I have trouble with is keeping organized. Lets say I am using the combat tracker when it is time to attack I open the sword tab to view the attacks select the hit dice I then use the mouse wheel to navigate to find the PC in the list. I then drop the dice on then if it hits I will have to scroll back to the guy that did the damage and then scroll all the way back up until I again find that PC so I can drop the damage dice and hopefully it does it right.(if damage reduction apply that it works. I have found no fast way to add health easily. You cant go +7 like roll20). For each monster you need to go through this whole process. The target feature is nice and speeds combat up a bit but it is slow. What I do now is all monsters act on the same turn. So from the encounter sheet I open up each NPC sheet and say 4 kobolds attacks against player 1 and 3 attack player 2 one of those kobolds has advantage. I make all my rolls to hit then and do damage. Then I move on to the next NPC in my encounter. There is no constant scrolling just bam, bam, bam. Plus If I feel this encounter could lead to a total party kill I pull punched and nobody is any wiser (he rolled 14 when it is a natural 20 or -10 damage from a hit).

damned
January 22nd, 2017, 00:54
Hi jonathanscullen

Do use targeting. Set them up while the players are having their turns. Then you need only double click the attack and if required double click the damage.
I suspect because you are also using roll20 you dont use the maps on FG. You can easily target on the maps as well. Either dragging attacks/damage on to the target or using ctrl+click to make delete targets.
I find targeting and the CT to make the GMs attacks much quicker.
Again back to pulling punches there are various ways to do it.
Especially if you have GM rolls hidden.

Lexfire
January 22nd, 2017, 02:54
John runs a great FG game - I can confirm his combat tracker will easily fill the screen and he navigates combat very effectively.

Myrdin Potter
January 22nd, 2017, 05:05
I do not pull punches. With death saves and healing, hard to permanently kill a character. I also can easily run 30+ characters and NPC using the CT. Targeting on the map is easier but control-click on the CT itself works.

LordEntrails
January 22nd, 2017, 21:58
Hey Jonathan,

Yea, so I guess part of the problem is trying to just do some of the combat in FG. So, not sure where or how to make the break between FG and Roll20, but, if you were doing everything in FG, here's a summary of how you would do it;

Set things up:
- Always drag the characters to the CT by dragging their icon from the top left to the CT
- Alway add NPCs to the CT by either using Encounters or dragging them to the CT
- NEVER drag a PC or NPC combatant to a map from anywhere but the CT

Using:
- Set a PC/NPC's target before you roll for their attack.
- - You can do this on the map or using the target icon on the CT (or through some other ways too)
- - If you forget, drag the attack roll onto the CT or map for the target and the chat will tell you if it is a hit, then if you hit, don't forget to set the target before you roll damage
- - With a target selected, damage and effects (resistance, vulnerability etc) are automatically calculated, see above if you forget to target before rolling damage

If you use targeting (even if you don't use a map), you'll find no need to scroll around the CT. Note, if you aren't using a map in FG to share with the players, you can still have a map (or use the Order tab in the party sheet) just to make targeting easier and for applying effects, dropping damage, etc

jonathanscullen
January 23rd, 2017, 04:38
Hey

How do you use the Order tab in the party sheet to drop damage dice. It does not look to be working from me. I made a fast character set the ac and hp drooped it into the party sheet (from the character selection). Also is there a fast way to glance at a PC's health (eg health bars. Even map tools had health bars) I just have not seen it.

Hey Jonathan,

Yea, so I guess part of the problem is trying to just do some of the combat in FG. So, not sure where or how to make the break between FG and Roll20, but, if you were doing everything in FG, here's a summary of how you would do it;

Set things up:
- Always drag the characters to the CT by dragging their icon from the top left to the CT
- Alway add NPCs to the CT by either using Encounters or dragging them to the CT
- NEVER drag a PC or NPC combatant to a map from anywhere but the CT

Using:
- Set a PC/NPC's target before you roll for their attack.
- - You can do this on the map or using the target icon on the CT (or through some other ways too)
- - If you forget, drag the attack roll onto the CT or map for the target and the chat will tell you if it is a hit, then if you hit, don't forget to set the target before you roll damage
- - With a target selected, damage and effects (resistance, vulnerability etc) are automatically calculated, see above if you forget to target before rolling damage

If you use targeting (even if you don't use a map), you'll find no need to scroll around the CT. Note, if you aren't using a map in FG to share with the players, you can still have a map (or use the Order tab in the party sheet) just to make targeting easier and for applying effects, dropping damage, etc

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 05:06
Wrong tool :)
Use the Combat Tracker for Combat Stuff.

There are several Wounds Options in Options - they mostly affect what the players see.
These are under Combat GM and Token GM
You might want to open a second instance of FG and connect it to localhost to be able to see what these options all do.
Most of them are Player Facing or Map Related.

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2017, 05:51
Hey

How do you use the Order tab in the party sheet to drop damage dice. It does not look to be working from me. I made a fast character set the ac and hp drooped it into the party sheet (from the character selection). Also is there a fast way to glance at a PC's health (eg health bars. Even map tools had health bars) I just have not seen it.
I only meant to use the Order tab in place of a map, not in place of the CT. I've never actually used the Order to drop damage etc on, I assume it can be done... but if it's not working like expected, then just use one of the maps that comes with FG (activate the battle maps in your library) to place your tokens (from the CT!!!) on. Here's an example of what the order tab and CT may look like (without any NPCs)

vodokar
January 23rd, 2017, 07:05
I always have a map as a holding place for the tokens for purpose of targeting even if using theatre of the mind. It makes things so much more organized and easy to get to.

Just make sure to let your players know if it is theatre of the mind and doesn't actually represent the combat placing or they will assume that it does and start trying to maneuver around the room for advantage.

There are several encounter maps that come free with FG that are appropriate to use for this.