PDA

View Full Version : GM Connection issues....Have HMA...but not working anymore

poobah_1
January 17th, 2017, 21:45
So I am travelling, I connect to internet...Connect to my VPN...I use HMA.
This has always worked, but now...I get a failure when I try run the connection test and my players cannot connect..
Any suggestions?

PooBah

damned
January 17th, 2017, 22:22
HMA being Hide My A$$?
You should check your port forward settings in HMA havent changed and you probably have to log a ticket with them and see if they have changed something in their setup....

Trenloe
January 17th, 2017, 22:25
This has always worked, but now...I get a failure when I try run the connection test and my players cannot connect..
You may need to experiment with which HMA server you're using. Don't just select one of the options where it makes the decision for you. Select a specific location, and try a few different one. Before you connect to HMA, close Fantasy Grounds, wait until HMA assigned you an IP address, then start Fantasy Grounds. On the "Load Campaign" screen click on the "External" address information and make sure it shows the IP address that HMA has assigned.

Another thing to try is giving the players the HMA IP address, not using the FG alias.

poobah_1
January 17th, 2017, 22:32
You may need to experiment with which HMA server you're using. Don't just select one of the options where it makes the decision for you. Select a specific location, and try a few different one. Before you connect to HMA, close Fantasy Grounds, wait until HMA assigned you an IP address, then start Fantasy Grounds. On the "Load Campaign" screen click on the "External" address information and make sure it shows the IP address that HMA has assigned.

Another thing to try is giving the players the HMA IP address, not using the FG alias.

Tried both of those. Using servers all over the place....

poobah_1
January 17th, 2017, 22:33
HMA being Hide My A$$?
You should check your port forward settings in HMA havent changed and you probably have to log a ticket with them and see if they have changed something in their setup....

I dont think I have access to the port forwarding settings in HMA. Unless you know where they are....

damned
January 17th, 2017, 22:56
No I dont and as Trenloe didnt mention them they prolly dont exist...

Trenloe
January 17th, 2017, 23:54
Nope, they don't exist.

Check that your computer is not showing the HMA network interface as a Public Network, this might block FG communicating - change it to Private or make sure your local security application isn't blocking FantasyGrounds.exe and port 1802 for Public networks.

poobah_1
January 18th, 2017, 02:50
Nope, they don't exist.

Check that your computer is not showing the HMA network interface as a Public Network, this might block FG communicating - change it to Private or make sure your local security application isn't blocking FantasyGrounds.exe and port 1802 for Public networks.

Cant Change it to Private. But HMA has always had the TAP9 Local Area Network to be public. The interface has always been like that...

Weird....

I really dont want to have to use Hamachi....Any other VPN solutions you guys know of that work well?

damned
January 18th, 2017, 03:18
Hi poobah_1 - here are some instructions if (you are technical) and you want to setup your own server.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1mxkdubn8kt46k/Fantasy%20Grounds%20VPN%20Server%20Setup%20-%20draft.docx?dl=0

Be aware that this does have some speed limitations that I wasnt aware of earlier.
At some point I will make instructions for a faster version of this.
In the meantime though this works and I have not had any speed complaints.

poobah_1
January 18th, 2017, 04:53
Hi poobah_1 - here are some instructions if (you are technical) and you want to setup your own server.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1mxkdubn8kt46k/Fantasy%20Grounds%20VPN%20Server%20Setup%20-%20draft.docx?dl=0

Be aware that this does have some speed limitations that I wasnt aware of earlier.
At some point I will make instructions for a faster version of this.
In the meantime though this works and I have not had any speed complaints.

I may try that. Never used linux, but I read the instructions and it seems straightforward. I do wish that I could be in Windows, I am much more knowledgeable in that OS.

damned
January 18th, 2017, 05:13
Im sure there would be a Windows equivalent. The nice thing about this is you can (if you look in the right places) get a Linux VPS for around $12/year and a Windows one will cost you much more.

damned
January 18th, 2017, 05:25
Couple of quick links for some low cost servers:

https://virmach.com/special-offers/
https://www.arubacloud.com/vps/virtual-private-server-range.aspx?
https://secure.ferngullygraphics.com/cart.php?gid=7 code 65off for first 12 months at $11
https://www.wattaserver.com/vpsservers.php
https://secure.rectified.net/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
https://www.glideservers.com/clients/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Trenloe
January 18th, 2017, 05:57
I've just done some testing and I can't get FG connected with HMA. The last time I tried was a couple of months ago and it was working then.

@poobah_1 It might be worth getting in touch with HMA support and explain what your requirements are, that it worked before and now it doesn't. Let them know you require port 1802 access for peer-to-peer gaming, don't mention "server" or they may just tell you they don't support servers on their VPN.

Myrdin Potter
January 18th, 2017, 13:50
I use Pure VPN with the dedicated IP option and it works. Have used it in China and in the US when I am staying in hotels. I have to have a vpn anyways because of traveling to China, so that solution works for me. In a hotel in NYC right now and hosted my Monday game via Pure VPN.

My NAS has a VPN server built in (I use it to run teamspeak already) and I have considered it as an option as well, but not tried it.

poobah_1
January 18th, 2017, 17:06
I use Pure VPN with the dedicated IP option and it works. Have used it in China and in the US when I am staying in hotels. I have to have a vpn anyways because of traveling to China, so that solution works for me. In a hotel in NYC right now and hosted my Monday game via Pure VPN.

My NAS has a VPN server built in (I use it to run teamspeak already) and I have considered it as an option as well, but not tried it.

Problem with PureVPN is that they dont take credit cards. Only PayPal. And the Paypal has to have your deposit the money beforehand. That takes 3-5 days and I have a game tomorrow.....

I know PayPal says they dont need to have your money in the account beforehand. But the vendor does not recognize the transaction unless you do....

poobah_1
January 18th, 2017, 17:07
I've just done some testing and I can't get FG connected with HMA. The last time I tried was a couple of months ago and it was working then.

@poobah_1 It might be worth getting in touch with HMA support and explain what your requirements are, that it worked before and now it doesn't. Let them know you require port 1802 access for peer-to-peer gaming, don't mention "server" or they may just tell you they don't support servers on their VPN.

I spoke with HMA. They said some of the servers are performing maintenance on the SSH and game ports...so that seems to explain it...

They said keep trying servers.....jeez..

Myrdin Potter
January 18th, 2017, 17:12
I tried Astrill and it did not work. I used to use witopea but never tried with FG. When I was living in China I tried HMA as a general VPN but it was constantly blocked.

My PayPal is linked to my bank account and a credit card and I never have delays or issues but I am USA based and maybe different without the USA base and/or linking.

Andraax
January 18th, 2017, 17:16
Problem with PureVPN is that they dont take credit cards. Only PayPal. And the Paypal has to have your deposit the money beforehand. That takes 3-5 days and I have a game tomorrow.....

I know PayPal says they dont need to have your money in the account beforehand. But the vendor does not recognize the transaction unless you do....

I've used credit cards with PayPal for instant payments.

poobah_1
January 18th, 2017, 17:19
And as I speak... I tried a server in Dallas and lo and behold...it works!

Can you confirm Trenloe? Select the Dallas, Tx Server and see if that works?

Trenloe
January 18th, 2017, 23:05
And as I speak... I tried a server in Dallas and lo and behold...it works!

Can you confirm Trenloe? Select the Dallas, Tx Server and see if that works?
Sorry, only just seeing this now. It doesn't work for me - getting a 173.224.212.XX address. Does it still work for you?

Trenloe
January 18th, 2017, 23:40
Sorry, only just seeing this now. It doesn't work for me - getting a 173.224.212.XX address. Does it still work for you?
OK, I'm using the v3.x HMA and this only allows you to specify a location, not a server at that location. The old HMA client, still available for download from the website, would allow you to select an individual server at a location.

I connected HMA got 173... IP, tried FG (failed), disconnected HMA, connected HMA got 50... IP, tried FG (failed), disconnected HMA, connected HMA got 23... IP, tried FG - Success!

Might be worth using the older HMA client (v2.8) and find a single server that works and then you can stick with that until their maintenance is over.

EDIT: Using the v2.8 VPN, PPTP protocol: looks like Dallas (Loc 1 S4) works.

poobah_1
January 19th, 2017, 01:42
OK, I'm using the v3.x HMA and this only allows you to specify a location, not a server at that location. The old HMA client, still available for download from the website, would allow you to select an individual server at a location.

I connected HMA got 173... IP, tried FG (failed), disconnected HMA, connected HMA got 50... IP, tried FG (failed), disconnected HMA, connected HMA got 23... IP, tried FG - Success!

Might be worth using the older HMA client (v2.8) and find a single server that works and then you can stick with that until their maintenance is over.

EDIT: Using the v2.8 VPN, PPTP protocol: looks like Dallas (Loc 1 S4) works.

I was able to get it to work so all happy days, thanks for help

Trenloe
January 19th, 2017, 15:23
I was able to get it to work so all happy days, thanks for help
No worries. Good to know HMA is still an option (my yearly subscription just renewed). Hope your gaming wasn't disrupted too much.