PDA

View Full Version : colossus slayer redux

BBPlainwell
January 16th, 2017, 13:57
I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on how to implement colossus slayer in a way that makes it more fire and forget for an absent minded gamer.

Colossus Slayer. Your tenacity can wear down
the most potent foes. When you hit a creature with a
weapon attack, the creature takes an extra 1d8 damage
if it’s below its hit point maximum. You can deal this
extra damage only once per turn.

So far I have the following - IFT: WOUNDED; DMG 1d8 - Targeting : Self - Expend : Once per modifier. If I click on the effect at the start of a fight once one of my attacks hit a target that is damaged it applies the additional 1d8 and then removes the effect.

What I am looking for is to add some type of conditional modifier, so that the damage only takes place once per turn but the effect does not expire. This way no matter how many attacks I take in a turn, I could just leave it in on instead of having to reapply every turn.

Zacchaeus
January 16th, 2017, 14:59
Hi, BBPlainwell.

You are doing it exactly right. There's no way to have the effect fire off once per turn and remain permanently on the character.

Nickademus
January 16th, 2017, 15:22
I'm not sure if it's manditory to deal the extra damage on the first qualifying attack or not. Usually the 5e material uses the word 'may' to give the player the freedom to choose which attack to apply it to (in the case of attacking multiple creatures), but the wording here does sound like it forces you to do the damage as soon as you can.

Zacchaeus
January 16th, 2017, 16:21
Indeed, it seems almost mandatory; 'When you hit ... the creature takes ...'. There doesn't appear to be an option. The choice, I suppose, is that you have to pick one from three options from Hunter's Prey. So choosing this option means you can't have the others.

BBPlainwell
January 16th, 2017, 20:51
Thank you for the quick reply and yes that is how I read the ability as well; If I hit a target and do weapon damage I have to apply the additional damage. I appreciate the feedback as I kept fooling with this by trying it the way above, just building a weapon, through DMGO and I kept thinking I was missing something to get it to work.