PDA

View Full Version : Lets Bring Shadowrun into the fold

elefernex
January 16th, 2017, 02:19
Ok so they made a SR4 table top for fantasy grounds.....it stinks. Lets make one better. Someone puts together a great UI for it and Ive got all the books Ill do the tedious work of getting all the information plugged away into it. Im no good at programming myself however some of you are Ill do the grunt work if you can give me a great UI to work with. Doesnt have to be fancy personally I hated the UI they had for shadowrun 4th ed because of all the unneeded artwork. Simple background with bullets for clickable buttons and a notepad look for the desktop works fine.

Ken L
January 17th, 2017, 16:29
Ok so they made a SR4 table top for fantasy grounds.....it stinks. Lets make one better.

First, Smiteworks didn't make any SR4 ruleset for FG, that's a community ruleset that's not maintained anymore.

Given that someone did this freely on their own time and took the pains to navigate the FG ruleset creation rules, I'd show a bit more courtesy to the developer. It was made for an older ruleset with minor updates for compatibility and they could have easily simply created the ruleset for their own use rather than share it.

There's documentation on the wiki on how to create your own ruleset or mod an existing one which you can start off on to customize it for your tastes. I myself use a modified version of Dulox's Locations database as well as several of my own extensions. It's not trivial, but the background image replacements as well as window border styles are as simple as replacing the image and modifying the dimensions on an XML file (ie: top right corner border image is 35x25 px etc...).

Trenloe
January 17th, 2017, 16:42
Ive got all the books Ill do the tedious work of getting all the information plugged away into it.
If you're referring to non-game mechanics from these books (descriptive text, background, artwork, etc.) then you can't share this information as it's copyright protected. You can create a ruleset around the game mechanics and share that, as US copyright law does not protect game mechanics.

damned
January 17th, 2017, 22:53
while sr4 is not being actively developed it is being maintained. bugs do get addressed and its kept updated with FG updates.

elefernex
January 18th, 2017, 02:51
Sorry ken I should have thought ahead about my post before posting it. I did find one where the creator went into more detail and can use it. I did reach out about creating and importing more of the information about the game items and ect. Though I thought you could share the info since it wasnt being sold for profit. Guess thats just my ignorance about the stuff coming out.

LordEntrails
January 18th, 2017, 03:19
.... Though I thought you could share the info since it wasnt being sold for profit. Guess thats just my ignorance about the stuff coming out.
Yea, copyright basically means the right to distribute. Doesn't matter if its for sale or not. Think of Napster, it had no direct monetary aspect, yet it was taken down all because of copyright infringements.