PDA

View Full Version : Crazy version number glitch

Lonewolf
January 16th, 2017, 01:00
Was just checking that I was up to date after a minor glitch in joining a game. The GM restarted and everything was fine but I when back to look at the settings again on my install.

Click the desktop icon and it reports 3.1.7 like this ..

Click on settings and say yes on account access. This is the screen that shows licence key. Data directory etc. Just close it again by pressing cancel. It shows the update window with the first line of text as FG updater v3.1.7. Click close on this too.

And as if by magic... The first screen now reports 3.2.1 :confused:

Lonewolf
January 16th, 2017, 01:07
Close the program and start it up again and it reports 3.1.7 again.

Clearly a nuke it and reinstall fresh is required here but kind of curious behavior that the developers might like to poke with a stick.

damned
January 16th, 2017, 01:11
You have two copies of FG installed on your computer...

Nickademus
January 16th, 2017, 01:24

This. Had a player that experienced this for half a year. Then he found where a second copy of FG was hiding on his hard drive.

Lonewolf
January 16th, 2017, 01:26

Yes i am thinking that too. Time for a better clean up I think on this particular computer. The odd ball bit of the is when the icon on the desktop is clicked and a new game is created in core RPG with no extensions. It runs just fine and 3.2.1 is always in the chat window. This is a previous issue that is well documented with a solution https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34865-v3-2-x-Issues-Problems-after-updating-Random-script-errors-etc

The bizarre thing here is if users are not careful with a future install on a older computer they could see ongoing problems. Here I am pretty sure that 3.2.1 is running just fine but the initial screen is misleading. I really do thing this is down to a bad install in this case. However I felt that such unusual behavior is always worth noting and hope it has not wasted anyone's valuable time.

damned
January 16th, 2017, 01:39
you will need to find both installs of fg - not the data folders - the application folders - search your HDD for fantasygrounds.exe and remove both (rename the folders if unsure) and rerun the fgwebinstaller - download it fresh from the front page here.

Lonewolf
January 16th, 2017, 03:02
you will need to find both installs of fg - not the data folders - the application folders - search your HDD for fantasygrounds.exe and remove both (rename the folders if unsure) and rerun the fgwebinstaller - download it fresh from the front page here.

Found it ! ;)

Confirmed a duplicated .exe that is indeed down to a bad install on this computer. Which causes the user to see a different version number. The search for a duplicate must include all attached drives. Found a old outdated .exe on a removable HDD that was put back on my system last week. The nice thing is I also found some old resources (artwork, PDFs) here too.

So highly recommended that users also search for a duplicate installs if they still see problems in the latest version. They could very well have an old version lurking away and it needs found and removed.

Trenloe
January 16th, 2017, 05:46
I covered the solution in the "Wrong Fantasy Grounds Version" section of the thread you linked above. More than likely a shortcut pointing to the wrong version - or the app directory not set correctly.

Glad you got it sorted out.