PDA

View Full Version : One last chance to get help with port 1802 problem before I cancel.

Martin153
January 15th, 2017, 21:32
I have purchased the ultimate licence and beginning to regret it. How hard can it be to set up a game and get people to connect?

I have been through the forums, spoken to my ISP and still get the red failure Port 1802 message. Do you actually need a degree in IT to set FG up so you can play.

Before I hit cancel subscription and go back to Roll20 can anyone help? Please don't just send me to a thread about port forwarding etc as I have no clue about networking. I need a do A then B then C.

This product is great but it's completely useless when you can only play it on your own. If it makes a difference I am in the UK and BT is my service provider.

Martin

Yes I have tried connecting with my IP directly before you ask.

Andraax
January 15th, 2017, 22:03
It helps if you actually ask for help before making a "I'm frustrated" post. I looked at your 3 posts, and this is the first referring to a problem with port forwarding.

Since you're in Europe, you are probably being NAT'ed by your ISP, so you won't be able to port forward. You'll need to setup a VPN, like Hamachi, to get it to work. There is a thread with step by step instructions for using Hamachi.

Martin153
January 15th, 2017, 22:10
I was actually a member over a year ago and run many successful campaigns. I have recently returned. When I last run games I never had this problem.

Sorry but I am frustrated after spending the best part of 6 hours trying to fix this, and having turn turn away a group of 6 players that couldn't connect. On top of that the many hours I have put in creating a campaign to be foiled at the end

I have no idea what Nat'ed, VPN or Hamachi is sorry and didn't think I needed to to have a game of 5e

Andraax
January 15th, 2017, 22:19
Click the "Site Search" button at the top and type in Hamachi. The first link returned is titled GM Connection Issues - Tried Everything - Try Hamachi (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi) - this thread has step by step instructions for setting up Hamachi that I mentioned.

LordEntrails
January 15th, 2017, 22:24
What Andraax is referring to is that in Europe, most of the internet providers no longer support a protocol called IPv4. The current FG architecture requires IPv4.

What you can do is follow the instructions in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

damned
January 15th, 2017, 22:25
Hi Martin153 please PM me your email address and I will have a look with you. Depending where you are in Europe Port Forwarding may or may not be possible. What did your ISP say when you asked?

damned
January 15th, 2017, 22:29
What Andraax is referring to is that in Europe, most of the internet providers no longer support a protocol called IPv4. The current FG architecture requires IPv4.

What you can do is follow the instructions in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

Being that over 90% of the internet still runs on IPv4 this is not quite accurate.
Due to the Ipv4 space having only (!!) 4 billion IP Addresses the available IPs have almost been exhausted. Where providers used to assign a single IPv4 address to every connection (whether static or dynamic is irrelevant) in places where their IP pool has been exhausted they have aggregated several customers onto each IPv4 address and are basically doing a second layer of NAT on your connection. If this is you, then you have no access to this second layer of NAT and another option will be required.
I like Hamachi, some like Tunngle and others prefer a VPN connection.

Anyway - if you make contact Ill help you identify if its fixable or not.

Martin153
January 15th, 2017, 22:31
Sorry Andraax but 10 pages of posts that end in, well you don't really need Hamachi was not what I was looking for. Surely it can't be that complicated. Thanks anyway.

Martin153
January 15th, 2017, 22:34
They said I needed to route 1802 to my external IP address. I tried that but it never worked. PM sent..and thanks..

damned
January 15th, 2017, 22:59
Sorry Andraax but 10 pages of posts that end in, well you don't really need Hamachi was not what I was looking for. Surely it can't be that complicated. Thanks anyway.

19/20 people who use Hamachi only need to follow the first post.

Andraax
January 15th, 2017, 23:08

I'll try to remember not to respond to your requests in the future. Don't want to upset you.

Martin153
January 16th, 2017, 00:00
A huge thank you to damned for taking the time and connecting remotely and sorting this out. All sorted now. Sorry if I came over aggressive. After several hours of trying and cancelling a game, I was more than a little frustrated. Thanks again damned

damned
January 16th, 2017, 00:03
A huge thank you to damned for taking the time and connecting remotely and sorting this out. All sorted now. Sorry if I came over aggressive. After several hours of trying and cancelling a game, I was more than a little frustrated. Thanks again damned

Youre welcome.

The issues (2) were that the PortForward rule was not set as tcp 1802 to 1802 and wasnt mapped to your computername, and the second part was that your Wifi was configured as being connected to a Public network which automatically blocks all incoming connections.

Have fun.