PDA

View Full Version : The frustration of being LFG for 15 months

HogarthUndead
January 15th, 2017, 20:38
First, I want to say I love the idea of FG. Unfortunately, my experience with it has been pretty terrible. I bought the game for two reasons. Firstly, when it comes to playing in person with my friends, I almost always have to DM and was looking for a way to be able to just play a game without driving down to the local game store once a week. Secondly, I was hoping for a chance to play some systems I tend to have to run, especially Fate. Of course, I soon come to find out no one runs Fate. I poke around for a while on the boards and someone is doing shadowrun 4e.

I love Shadowrun 4e, I have GMed it but never had a chance to be a player, so I’m stoked. I express my interest in the thread, then spend a few hours brushing up on the basic rules. After that quite a few hours of my free time is dedicated to making a character, both crunch and bio, and understanding the rules specific to them. This can take a very long time in SR4e, but luckily for me one of my favorite parts of any RPG is making my own character. Next I must learn how to install and use the Shadowrun 4e module as well as how to use FG in general, which isn’t exactly easy. Finally I reach the long process of actually entering my character into FG. Once all that is done guess how many sessions of 4e happened? Zero.

Ok, these things happen. I’ll keep poking around. Submit characters to a few different games in different system using the forums and team speak servers. No luck, and in fact very few responses or games that come to fruition. “I’ll just run my own Fate game” I decide. Unfortunately I can’t figure out how to make the basic adjustments to the fate character sheet that are needed for almost anything outside of the vanilla rules in fate core, which they specifically tell you to expand on to your hearts content. Why no one runs fate in FG suddenly becomes obvious. Sad I paid for fate core ruleset that can’t do a ton of things from the fate core book, I decide to move on from FATE on FG

Back to months of poking around the forums and applying to games with no luck. Finally I find a mutants and masterminds game, a system I’m familiar with, that wants me. Again I brush up on the system, spend hours building a character, learning how to use M&M in FG, and entering my character into FG. Oh yeah, and I buy a module because the DM can’t get things to work for me with just his copy. Game has one session.

I decide obviously my problem is that I don’t play either of the two main systems (5e/PF), and decide to learn PF since I used to play 3.5 and like the card game. Time to Buy materials, learn the system, spend hours practicing making characters and doing research. I start applying to games and find out getting into a non CORE PF game where they let you make your own character is like applying for an ivy league college.
This is the point where I decide FG might be doing something wrong. It shouldn’t take me 15 months and a very hefty time and money investment to find one game that lasts even a month worth of weekly sessions. This isn’t just complaining for complaining though, it leads to a suggestion.

FG should give away content and standard licenses to GMS, as well as run contests or programs to encourage GMs to run games and import/develop content. Maybe they do this already and I somehow missed it in the 15 months I’ve been looking at the boards, but I certainly haven’t noticed anything along those lines, which may be part of the problem. Gming in fantasy grounds is a lot of work. Importing is no small task and customizing systems seems very complicated. Adding a huge money sink on top of that can’t be helping ensure that there are enough GMs for those looking to play. Hopefully PF coming to FG officially this month will help some, but I’m skeptical with the bitter taste of the last 15 months still in my mouth.

Thank you for reading this if you did, and sorry for the complaining. I Truly believe FG could be an amazing program and hope that it becomes that in my eyes. Unfortunately right now though, to me, it’s a rip off. A money and time sink that is far far harder and slower than finding a local game.

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2017, 20:46
I think you have been extraordinarily unlucky coupled with the fact that you are looking to play games which are perhaps more niche than mainstream. You may not want to hear it but try getting into some games of Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu or even dare I suggest 5e. I'm pretty sure that you'll find a game in one of those systems without having to spend any more cash. Who knows you may well find a group that also runs more niche games, but unless you have a severe timezone restriction I'm confident you'll find something among those rulesets.

HogarthUndead
January 15th, 2017, 20:58
Thanks for the response and the tip. I actually did try pathfinder (and still am) as I say in the post :-). Of course i had to buy books(pdfs) to do that since i was new to pathfinder. Unfortunately, as i said, getting into a non core PF game that doesn't use pre-gens seems very difficult. It is also a time sink. Every game has their own stipulations for character creation, take place in a different area, has different class/group needs etc. So i spend hours making a character an a bio, submit it while making sure to rearange my schedule so it's clear for the given game in case i am one of the lucky few who makes the cut, then find out i didn't get in and start all over. And would have to buy books (pdfs) to do any of those other systems as well.

I certainly hope it's just bad luck, but i don't suppose you can help me believe that by inviting me to a game that lasts that i wouldn't have to spend more money on?

Andraax
January 15th, 2017, 21:00
I'm still recruiting for a game of Castles and Crusades, run weekly on (probably) Tuesday night around 7-8pm US/Central. Your investment for this would be nil.

Zhern
January 15th, 2017, 21:46
Also, for Pathfinder, almost all of it is available under OGL and resides freely on the web. You can find just about everything you need without having to buy any of the books thanks to the PRD and SRD (reference docs).

Paizo PRD (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/)
d20pfsrd (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/)

Sorry you ended up not finding a game yet and had to spend extra money. The LFG forum is very active right now so you might be able to get into something other than a FATE or M&M game if you are up for it. Also, Castles & Crusades, like Andraax mentioned, is a d20 based game and is fantastic. You should see about playing in that game.

HogarthUndead
January 15th, 2017, 22:10
Thanks for the responses.

I am actively looking in the lfg forum and have a pathfinder lfg thread there. This thread isn't intended as an lfg buy the thoughts are appreciated.

Unfortunately castles and crusades digital starter bundle is over 60 dollars. Also I just spent a huge amount of time on pathfinder rules and character building so not looking for another new system right now. But again my thanks.

I love the free pathfinder resources and have been using them for a little while now. They really are great. They didn't keep me from feeling the need to own a players hand book though.

Also a possible clarification. My problem isn't that it requires player investment so much as that investment seems to go unrewarded do to a lack of GMS and or available slots in games.

I love spending time and effort making a character. I just hate when it turns out to all be for not. I don't have an unlimited supply of time and money to keep trying new systems and options. I am tired of spending all my free time applying to games and none of it playing them. That isn't what I bought FG for.

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2017, 22:20
Just a point here. As a player, as far as I know for any system, you do not need to purchase anything. The DM can share all the sources they have to enable you to create your character. This doesn't mean that the option to buy isn't there, but given your experience it might be worth trying the game out before you spend the money buying the resources. If you can get yourself into a regular group and enjoy the ruleset, then you could consider a purchase.

Andraax
January 15th, 2017, 22:21
The Castles and Crusades "Quick Start" rules are on the web and are free (https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf). That is all that is needed to play in my games (besides Fantasy Grounds - any license as I have Ultimate - and TeamSpeak - which is free).

Andraax
January 15th, 2017, 22:25
And all that a player requires to play Castles and Crusades (if you want to purchase it) is the "Player's Handbook". This is $20.99 on the Troll Lord Games website for the PDF version (https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/Players-Handbook-6th-Printing-D/p/45154230). The other books are for GMs (which you have stated that you do not wish to do). But, as I stated, you do not even need that to play in my games, as I can share my PHB with you for character creation.

JohnD
January 15th, 2017, 23:11
Something doesn't seem right. You don't need to buy any of these other books to play in a fg game. 15 months of looking for a game and you're at 24 posts, 3 of them in this thread... exactly how have you been "trying" to get in a game?

HogarthUndead
January 15th, 2017, 23:44
Something doesn't seem right. You don't need to buy any of these other books to play in a fg game. 15 months of looking for a game and you're at 24 posts, 3 of them in this thread... exactly how have you been "trying" to get in a game?

I'm not into pirating books, and most games don't give you all you need for complete character building in their free resources. I tend to apply to games through PM as much or more than through a thread reply. Also reading through the forums for a game I can play doesn't create a post. I have also spent some time in the LFG room on the team speak server. Of course I have found local games and do other things, so its not like every single night of every single day of the last 15 months i have done nothing but looked for a game. My total amount of time sunk into looking for, applying to, and learning games for FG has been in the hundreds of hours however. Sorry you don't think my problem is real, but I assure you it is. There are a lot of negative reviews on steam that seem to have similar issues if you need more sources.

I know it is tempting to respond with some version of "this isn't an issue". But it is. i have lived it for 15 months. I have switched systems 3 times in an attempt to join or find a game. I am actively looking for an applying to pathfinder games, with no luck. If it isn't true why am i not in a game? Why where there 0 responses to my LFG thread yesterday that is one new thread away from no longer being on page 1? Why do so many pathfinder games make people apply like college if there isn't a shortage of GMs or open spots in games. Going 15 months without being able to find a game is bad enough, having people act like that somehow isn't possible even though it is STILL HAPPENING just makes it worse.

As for castles and crusades, my apologizes I didn't know that the new player bundle wasn't what i wanted. But still 20 dollars for a new book and learning another new d20 system... I have to pass for now. I appreciate the thought though.

Andraax
January 15th, 2017, 23:51
I have players that have played in my games for 2 years and have not spent a cent on it. Troll Lord Games provides the Quick Start rules for free for just that reason. And using my PHB while connected to my server for character creation and playing is within the legal boundaries, it is not "pirating". As a matter of fact, I have one player that cannot make the game tonight, and you *could* play his character for the evening to try things out.

But feel free to not play when you could be...

damned
January 16th, 2017, 00:00
Hi HogarthUndead Im thinking there are two parts to your frustration.

1. havent found a long term game.
2. you sink a lot of time into these games that either havent started or falter quickly.

Everyone is different and likes different parts/aspects of gaming. To me character creation is a quick thing and i rarely spend much time on it. Ill happily play a pre-gen or someone elses character. Possibly dont spend a lot of time on your character concepts (if its causing you frustration) until the game gets the go ahead from the GM.

Finding games varies in difficulty for everyone. You are right - almost no one plays fate on FG. Most niche games are niche and often are only played within existing groups. You almost never see an M&M game get going here but about 1000 sessions get run a year. You should (if you do continue to persist) find a Pathfinder game sooner or later that does start and run.

You dont have to buy all the rules for a game system. Unless you want to do all the full prep etc for your characters. Right now I think you are investing heavily in activities that are not rewarding you and are frustrating you. Concentrate first on getting in the game perhaps?

For Castles&Crusades if you have ever played any version of D&D (including pathfinder) you will find it easy enough to grasp.

HogarthUndead
January 16th, 2017, 00:08
Sorry, like i said i don't find the quick-start rules satisfactory, don't feel like spending 20 dollars, and don't feel like spending hours learning another system after i just sank time into learning pathfinder because people told me that would be how i could find a game. I really enjoy character building and like to have access to the full rules to better understand it's setting and systems. I don't mean it as an insult.

In fact I'm not trying to insult any of you wonderful folks who actually get to enjoy Fantasy Grounds and do such wonderful work in it. Just sharing my terrible experience with those who might be interested, especially prospective buyers, while also suggesting a possible route for improvement.

Luckily there are like 40 local pathfinder games a week where i am so it's not like i won't ever be able to play pathfinder. Just turns out FG hasn't been a great way to do it, or any gaming, from my experience. But I'm not giving up. I'm going to keep looking and trying and applying.

damned
January 16th, 2017, 00:11
Hi guys,

Generally people that do post genuinely want the software/platform/community to work for them and are posting out of frustration or to hopefully get some resolution before they abandon ship. do try and keep the posts helpful...

:bandit:

damned
January 16th, 2017, 00:13
Hogarth - there are quite a few games that are looking for players one way or another - for example here is a Savage Worlds game: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36136-LFP-Savage-Star-Trek-one-shot - even if its not what you are after play these types of games and meet other people. Let your personality help you get invites and referrals to other games.

Trenloe
January 16th, 2017, 00:16
I'd recommend you just play some games - not wait until the perfect game comes along for you. You don't need to spend hours making characters or learning the system. Just play a few games.

The reason I say this is that you will meet people and will be "networking" with other players and GMs. You'll learn which players you like to play with and which GMs you would like to GM for you. Then, maybe suggest to a few of these new friends that you'd like to get a game together - you'll have a much better change of getting a decent game going if you know what the people are like beforehand and then only spend a lot of character creation time once you have a firm game with people you know lined up.

I played in many games before I got a steady group - players don't gel, the GMing style isn't what I'm looking for, the group doesn't last, etc., etc.. But, over time, I learned which players I liked and which GMs I liked and that has allowed me to help get a number of long running games together that we all have enjoyed.

HogarthUndead
January 16th, 2017, 00:17
Hi HogarthUndead
You dont have to buy all the rules for a game system. Unless you want to do all the full prep etc for your characters. Right now I think you are investing heavily in activities that are not rewarding you and are frustrating you. Concentrate first on getting in the game perhaps?.

Thanks, some great advice and i do understand a lot of this falls to my own idiosyncrasies, even if others seem to have the same issue as well. I appreciate all of you dealing with my frustrations.

The One thing is, a lot of games require you to apply with a full character, plus bio that ties into the world and lore, plus crunch and projections for what you want to do for multiple levels. Even those that are first come first server often won't hold your spot until you have a decent amount of that in my experience. and those first come first serve ones seem to just fall apart after a session.

Hope I'm not being to contradictory, just trying to be clear about how i feel and why. Like i said i think FG has all the potential in the world to be amazing if people could actually find games.

Why don't they do what local gaming stores do and use free product to entice GMs to run public games at regular days and times?

Trenloe
January 16th, 2017, 00:19
Why don't they do what local gaming stores do and use free product to entice GMs to run public games at regular days and times?
FG Con and FG Daze - keep an eye out for them, and then play some games, whatever the system!

HogarthUndead
January 16th, 2017, 00:33
FG Con and FG Daze - keep an eye out for them, and then play some games, whatever the system!

I definitely am and will, thanks. :-).

Is there a reason they don't do something like that on a smaller scale weekly? Pathfinder society is a great example of what i'm thinking about. Most LGS in my area have one or two nights every week with open sign up for public games, both PFS and non society games. If the tables get full with sign ups they usually bribe more GMs. This means there are quite a few public pathfinder games available on the regular every week. And they aren't just one shots, if you show up and sign up week after week you get to keep playing through the same story. And of course if your playing PFS than you can transfer characters between games.

I know it's something most of you are more than familiar with, just strange to me there isn't an equivalent for FG.

On a separate note, are there maybe less Pathfinder games starting all of a sudden because people are waiting for the new material to be released, or is that just wishful thinking?

LordEntrails
January 16th, 2017, 01:56
Both PFS and AL (D&D 5E) both have regular games going. Both have sub-forums here. I don't know how manay games are there etc. But I do see the forums have new posts almost every time I log in.

Unfortunately you just missed the last FGDaze (Jan 7th), but, there will be more coming, I can't tell you when though.

Talyn
January 16th, 2017, 04:01
I'm in the same boat, due to my job. I very rarely get to play locally (PFS is my only local option, and I haven't managed to play since September) and on FG I can pretty much only play during FG Cons so... twice a year? I'm right there with ya that LFG in forums is a less-than-ideal situation. I can't even get in PFS games here because they seem to be all static groups. So... meh.

JohnD
January 16th, 2017, 05:28
Your LFG post states that you've played AD&D, 3e and 3.5e. This means you can walk into a Castles & Crusades game with frankly no preparation and be 80% of the way there. Your post also states pretty open availability so its confusing that you are not having more success.

The biggest bit of advice that gets put out there is to approach DMs who state they have spots to fill; usually, unless you're looking for a niche game, things fill up quickly and a DM doesn't need to actively recruit beyond saying they have openings. I don't know if this bit of advice always is on point, but approaching a DM instead of hoping they'll come to you seems like solid advice.

Trenloe
January 16th, 2017, 05:41
Is there a reason they don't do something like that on a smaller scale weekly? Pathfinder society is a great example of what i'm thinking about. Most LGS in my area have one or two nights every week with open sign up for public games, both PFS and non society games. If the tables get full with sign ups they usually bribe more GMs.
A number of reasons really - basically GMs run when they want and it can be a big hassle to try to organise a pcikup/open game regularly on the Internet. GMs aren't tied to a fixed slot of, for example, 6pm every other Monday at their local store to have a table available, they can run whenever they want. There has been attempts at doing organised PFS weekly sessions in the past but they never took off. Ultimately, GMs usually run when they want - if it's a popular system/scenario they'll fill it up. Look at the PFS sub-forum for when GMs run games - but there isn't much activity at the moment.

There's nothing stopping someone doing regular PFS/pickup games, I just think that most GMs here prefer to run a regular campaign and so when they get a group of players who want to play regularly they run a campaign. GMs are in the vast minority, so if a GM advertises a mainstream game they usually don't have much problem filling it.

Answulf
January 16th, 2017, 10:31
Hogarth, this should help you quite a bit:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?241-How-to-Build-a-Successful-Long-term-Gaming-Group

GunnarGreybeard
January 16th, 2017, 13:06
Is there a reason they don't do something like that on a smaller scale weekly?
To add to what Trenloe posted, most of these GM's are taking time out our their schedules for these special FG Con and FG Daze events and skip their regular games to do this for the community. If they were to do it more often, like weekly, they woulnd't have time to run their groups regular campaigns.

HogarthUndead
January 16th, 2017, 14:28
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately i'm not really interested in GMing on FG or learning another new system right now. I am already frustrated with the amount of time and money i have sunk into FG with no pay off, and those both require more from my point of view.

I get that having weekly open games takes working with GMs and scheduling and isn't as easy as snapping your fingers. However every single local game store in my area, or that i have ever been to, has managed to figure it out. SO what FG has less or worse GMs available than my local gaming stores? I don't believe that for a second. Heck there are conventions setting up right now to do open public sign up games via FG.

Has FG even tried to arrange something like this in the past?

What does FG do to incentivize GMing? After all it costs more money and takes a ton more time than just playing.

I have been looking for a game for 15 months, have bought and learned new systems to do so, and have been open to playing more than half a dozen systems, most of which are listed on the FG website. I'm sorry you all seem to think that it's my fault and my problem, but that doesn't help me. And since already others have chimed in and said they have the same issue, lets try to focus on the issue at hand instead of trying to prove I'm a moron who's doing something wrong.

Had a point yesterday where the frustration had subsided but now... now the frustration has cranked up to 11.

HogarthUndead
January 16th, 2017, 14:34
I'm in the same boat, due to my job. I very rarely get to play locally (PFS is my only local option, and I haven't managed to play since September) and on FG I can pretty much only play during FG Cons so... twice a year? I'm right there with ya that LFG in forums is a less-than-ideal situation. I can't even get in PFS games here because they seem to be all static groups. So... meh. Yeah, I looked into PFS on here and it looks like there is rarely a private group expecting applicants, never any sort of regular open sign up type play.

Myrdin Potter
January 16th, 2017, 15:10
The total number of games for PFS and AL (5e) are much greater than what you see listed here. Many times, a GM will just advertise on whatever master system there is and not mention it in the forums here. The people that post on the forums here are a small subset of the total people running games.

So my suggestion for things like PFS is to go to the paizo forums and look there.

If you want to play Fate, find the main forum/Facebook page for that game and look and ask there.

There never are enough DM, I started with FG just to DM for my friends. I had 5 then 6 players in my personal gaming circle immediately. I recently have had several requests from friends to join which I had to turn down.

I decided to try running a new module I had with a group and in just hours I had the 6 players I wanted and I probably have more than twice the number of players asking to join.

With my friends when I was growing up, they played what I liked. I went from AD&D to Runequest to Champions because I was the GM and buying the rules. We played because we were friends and were having fun.

I recently joined in on a one-shot Dungeon Crawl Classics game and got lucky and can play.

I think if you monitor the one-shot and the LPG forum and focus on playing vs. a particular game, you will find opportunities to play.

I expect with the official license for Pathfinder, the Pathfinder activity here will jump.

You do not need to buy the rules unless you are planning on being a GM. All players in my 5e games have access to all the player facing 5e rules for free while attached to my game. That is legal and intended and just like lending your book during the actual game session.

Ken L
January 16th, 2017, 15:17
There will always be more players than GMs. Also, many GMs filter players, not just characters; introducing incompatible personalities usually ends in drama.

PF's OGL is really a giant welcome mat for new players, keep applying for games you believe there will be a synergy, not just because its a slot.

Answulf
January 16th, 2017, 15:33
I have been looking for a game for 15 months, have bought and learned new systems to do so, and have been open to playing more than half a dozen systems, most of which are listed on the FG website. I'm sorry you all seem to think that it's my fault and my problem, but that doesn't help me. And since already others have chimed in and said they have the same issue, lets try to focus on the issue at hand instead of trying to prove I'm a moron who's doing something wrong.

Hogarth, we totally get the frustration and can empathize. No one is calling you a moron - but yes, you certainly have to take full ownership of your lack of success and learn from it. There are a lot of people here trying to help you, all of which you seem to be resisting because it isn't what you want to hear. However, it is coming from experience - from people who have been playing the last 15 months, who aren't frustrated with FG and who want you to be able to have that same fun.

Regarding my own advice - I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'm confident that most people around here would agree: if you had been willing to GM 15 months ago and formed a solid gaming group yourself, you would have spent the last 15 months playing pretty much whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted to - and it wouldn't have been only as a GM. That's more than enough incentive for GMing! :D

You have fallen into the trap that most new players fall in - that most of us fell into when we started - that of trying to find a game to play in instead of building a group of friends to play with. When your frustration subsides, that is still an option for you going forward.

LordEntrails
January 16th, 2017, 16:43
Hogarth, are there changes that you can seeing being made that would help?

I think part of the reasons you are getting the responses you are is because many of us don't see alternatives. Until the number of GMs increase, their will always be a shortage of games for players wanting to play. This even happens at local stores. I've had to turn away players online just like in person, you can only have so many players in a group.that's why their is such an emphasis on helping people become GMs.

But, if helping people become GMs isn't the solution, help us with some ideas :)

Zhern
January 16th, 2017, 22:34
I'm going to make a couple of suggestions, HogarthUndead. There have been numerous responses on this thread attempting to help you, give you advice, provide solutions that will alleviate frustrations, etc. However, you've responded to each and every suggestion with (I'm going to paraphrase), "No, I don't want to learn a new system, I don't want to DM, I have to have all the books, and why doesn't FG have something akin to organized play?" Mind you, that is my summation and that I am not trying to be snarky or rude. I'm interested in seeing a solution to this just as much as you are, but in order to find a solution or something that works better than not finding a game for 15 months, you might have to try something that doesn't fit your ideal gaming situation. It might be that you need to try a different approach or to be more flexible.

I know, that isn't what you wanted to hear. Sorry, but it is what it is. You should probably consider trying to get into a game where you can use the free quickstart rules to do all you really need to do, like Castles & Crusades Quick Start (https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf), D&D5E Basic Rules (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules) or D&D5E SRD (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd), or Savage Worlds Test Drive (https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/TD06.pdf). You mentioned that you don't like doing things in half measures and want to get as much into the world and setting as you possibly can before the game begins. That isn't always possible and sometimes you have to develop a character as they are played, based on the events and circumstances that they are witness to. Sure, you can have your backstory and such, but what really matters is what happens in the game. I would encourage you to not develop the entire family tree and year by year accounting of a character's life before getting into a game.

As several others mentioned, you should strive to build a gaming group, not just try to get into a game. That is going to take initiative and also being willing to run a game or three. If you really want to play Pathfinder, offer to run a one shot with the stipulation that it might develop into something else but also make it clear that it would require the others to also run games so you get your chance to play. All of this was mentioned in the excellent blog post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?241-How-to-Build-a-Successful-Long-term-Gaming-Group) that Answulf posted.

Again, I'm sure you don't want to hear it, but after 15 months of not finding a group, maybe you should consider a different approach. If not, then there probably isn't much any of us can do to help you despite the best efforts and intentions.

Zhern

Wookiee420
January 18th, 2017, 07:54
I know its not the systems you have in mind, but I am running 5e games and trying to run Savage Worlds either Sundered Skies or Last Parsec. I dont plan on going anywhere, unless I have work (which currently is not an issue) and at that point I would just reschedule for a better time. I dont even have a problem with multiple games a day. Send me a message let me know..

PS I WILL GLADLY DM ANY SYSTEM I KNOW JUST ASK, I would love to be even one more person that closes the need of DMs...If I could play a game or two (if im lucky) a week I would DM another 3 or 4 days

Galach
January 18th, 2017, 13:42
Taking my personal experience in account, I would say that the "problem" in finding games to play can be resumed pretty much as a ton of people who want to play and just a few in the mood of running a game as DM. At least on my country, this is true not just for games through FG, but also through Roll20 and in-person games.

I created a Facebook community dedicated to put Portuguese Speaker players in touch some time ago. This community does not have a lot of members (60 right now), but enough people to start at least 10 different games anytime. However, there are only 3 of them (me included) who are actually DMing for a group.

Whenever someone start a game, there are 20 people struggling to play (I had a 13 person long waiting list last time I started a game), but rarely someone want to run one, and while some people love to DM (as usually DMs do), we have just so much time per week to do that.

going further, and looking at RPG communities on Facebook, things are pretty much the same: lots of people who want to play and no one want to DM. I see in a regular basis some things as stupid as posts like "Six players looking for DM to run games for us at Friday nights". Really? SIX people and no one would run a game?

Since I was intrigued about how Fantasy Grounds players in my comunity were using the software, how many times per month, and the number of members who had a FG licence, I started a poll there some time ago, and got the following results:

4 Ultimate Licences (two of which don't DM - one of those 4 are mine);
18 Standard Licences;
27 Non-purchasers (people hoping to play through demo client)
11 people do not voted.

(Strangely enough, some people actually have even Ultimate versions and do not DM (I never saw the point of picking one if you do not intend to DM a lot and for people who cannot or don't want to afford the price of the software), while people with Standard version are DMing two times a week).

Now, I know you said you are also a DM, but unless in your country things are radically different, I really don't understand how you are being unable to find games, unless you are looking on the wrong places or being too much critic about the games you want to run/play.

Andraax
January 18th, 2017, 13:54
Now, I know you said you are also a DM, but unless in your country things are radically different, I really don't understand how you are being unable to find games, unless you are looking on the wrong places or being too much critic about the games you want to run/play.

I've offered him a slot in two of my games, and he has refused, even though there would be no out of pocket costs to play and he has played games that are functionally the same in the past.

JohnD
January 18th, 2017, 18:04
Looking at the posting history shows probably two games that didn't get going and no other overt attempts other than a recent LFG post and this complaint thread.

That coupled with Andraax's offer being rebuffed and some frankly counterproductive stances I no longer am as perplexed as I was earlier on in this thread.

Bidmaron
January 18th, 2017, 19:27
Well, the indicator to me was that when he started this thread, he only had just over 20 forum posts. This does not actually seem like an earnest effort over 15 months

Wookiee420
January 18th, 2017, 19:36
Just my 2cents....ive had FG since Friday, ive alreqdy played 2 games, and have another at least 1 set up...its not easy, but its not hard. You need to be proactive and you need to be willing to gm if you must to get games going.

Hermundure
January 19th, 2017, 20:21
Get on the FG Discord server, chat with people, be enlightened... erm... invited! :p

https://discord.gg/0bLQlaHmhPa7mrPt

Wookiee420
January 19th, 2017, 20:37
Get on the FG Discord server, chat with people, be enlightened... erm... invited! :p

https://discord.gg/0bLQlaHmhPa7mrPt

i am pretty sure i found at least one more game on there today.......@HogarthUndead a little effort goes a long way......Again, I am trying to run Savage Worlds Sundered Skies or Last Parsec, you are more than welcome to join us. In fact if you get enough people for a game I will make a superhero game in the Savage Worlds setting. Also seeing as you are in Denver, CollectorMania in Parker has some awesome live sessions, I am going there on Saturday for an Edge of Empire game