PDA

View Full Version : Question About Licensing

JHale1966
January 15th, 2017, 17:30
Greetings all :)

I was an avid Fantasy Grounds 1 user WAAAAAAAY back in the day (even wrote the AD&D 1E pack for it) and after many years have returned to gaming (Pathfinder) and have been using Roll20 for the last year. I started a standard License Subscription yesterday in order to test the building of campaigns and it has ONLY taken me 2 days to get The Confirmation done. I read that there was already one out there somewhere but I learn better by doing.

Anyhoo - I have a question about licensing. I plan on going ahead and upping to the Ultimate Subscription (until my taxes come in then I'll probably just go ahead and buy it full) and plan to use it on my main Dell system. Now, if I decide to take my notebook to our local PFS games on Friday nights, can I use the same license on the notebook and connect to it using a demo license so I can have another computer the players can see? Provided of course I'm not attaching back to the Dell? The internet connection is a bit flaky at the store so I can't count on being able to run games on Roll20 from there.

Thanks!

Jim Hale

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2017, 18:58
Welcome to FG and to the community, JHale

Yes, you can install on more than one device as long as you are not going to be using more than one at a time. With the ultimate license you can connect any number of demo users.

One thing to note is that the campaign files (those are the ones you use to store story, images characters etc) are all kept on your hard drive - so if you want to use anything you have created then you'll need to copy the campaign files over to your other machine so that they are available. This is best done via a USB drive or similar. You can use a cloud based solution but do NOT sync your campaign files to something like that, otherwise you WILL lose data.

Trenloe
January 15th, 2017, 22:09
To clarify a couple of things here:
1) You can do multiple installs if you are the user, and if they won't be used at the same time (as Zacchaeus mentions). The license is for you, not for other users - i.e. you shouldn't install your license on someone else's computer for their use.
2) When a demo license connects to an Ultimate license GM the demo license needs an internet connection so that it can briefly connect to the Smiteworks server to check that the Ultimate license is valid. This is only done when initially joining the GM's game.

LordEntrails
January 15th, 2017, 22:14
Also, if you try to connect your laptop to a game hosted by your desktop, you will have to remove the license key from the laptop and run an Update prior to connecting or you will get a license error. At least I'm pretty sure you will.

JHale1966
January 15th, 2017, 22:28
To clarify a couple of things here:
2) When a demo license connects to an Ultimate license GM the demo license needs an internet connection so that it can briefly connect to the Smiteworks server to check that the Ultimate license is valid. This is only done when initially joining the GM's game.

That's fine - I can tether to my phone if I need to long enough to make the hit. It's just a consistent internet connection that is the issue.

JHale1966
January 15th, 2017, 22:34
Also, if you try to connect your laptop to a game hosted by your desktop, you will have to remove the license key from the laptop and run an Update prior to connecting or you will get a license error. At least I'm pretty sure you will.

That's not a problem. I don't ever plan on having the notebook connect to my home game. If I ever had that need, I would probably just do a one off $3.99 standard license for a month for the notebook.

damned
January 15th, 2017, 22:42
Hi JHale1966 your original license key might also still work if you can find it.... welcome back.

JHale1966
January 15th, 2017, 23:10
Hi JHale1966 your original license key might also still work if you can find it.... welcome back.

Rats! I just searched emails back to 2005 and the only thing I can find are purchased addons I got for it. :/

And Thanks! :)

Jim

Trenloe
January 16th, 2017, 00:24
Rats! I just searched emails back to 2005 and the only thing I can find are purchased addons I got for it. :/
Email [email protected] - mention your previous account name on these forums and they can probably help you out getting your old license and previous purchases linked to your account. You'll want to do this so that your purchases will be part of the update system.

JHale1966
January 16th, 2017, 00:58
mention your previous account name on these forums and they can probably help you out getting your old license and previous purchases linked to your account. You'll want to do this so that your purchases will be part of the update system.

Excellent suggestion! EMail sent. :)

JHale1966
January 21st, 2017, 16:19
Next question...

When I upgrade my standard license to Ultimate, do I lose the ability to use the (old) standard key on another PC to connect to a game where the GM is only using a standard license?

Andraax
January 21st, 2017, 16:58
You can connect to any game using the Ultimate license as well. It's not restricted to being GM.

Bidmaron
January 21st, 2017, 17:03
Next question...

When I upgrade my standard license to Ultimate, do I lose the ability to use the (old) standard key on another PC to connect to a game where the GM is only using a standard license?

Yes.

Nylanfs
January 21st, 2017, 17:59
When you upgrade, you have to have your old key in one box and your new ultimate upgrade in another box in the settings.

JHale1966
January 21st, 2017, 19:38
You can connect to any game using the Ultimate license as well. It's not restricted to being GM.

No - I'm going to have the Ultimate Key on my main machine. I meant using the standard key on a different PC so when I travel and stuff.

Andraax
January 21st, 2017, 19:58
Just put your Ultimate license on both machines. Smiteworks has said it's ok to have the same license on multiple machines as long as they're all used only by you, and you only use one at a time.

JohnD
January 21st, 2017, 19:59
No - I'm going to have the Ultimate Key on my main machine. I meant using the standard key on a different PC so when I travel and stuff.

When you upgrade you get a supplemental code which you use in conjunction with your Full license code. I'm not sure if the full code will work by itself but what's the difference you can have fg installed on more than one system as long as you aren't trying to use them both at the same time.

JHale1966
January 21st, 2017, 20:01
Just put your Ultimate license on both machines. Smiteworks has said it's ok to have the same license on multiple machines as long as they're all used only by you, and you only use one at a time.

Perfect. That'll work. :)

Trenloe
January 24th, 2017, 19:17
There seems to be some confusion here - so just to confirm:

If you currently have a full license and you upgrade that license to Ultimate then your original full license is no longer valid - you're converting that to Ultimate.
You will get a new license key for your Ultimate upgrade - this is the only key you need to enter in the Fantasy Grounds settings window - put it in the top "License Key" field (replacing the previous key), leave the "Lite to Full Key" field blank. Then run an update.
As others have mentioned, you can use the same license key on a couple of your own computers - to allow you (the user who owns the key) to do development on one computer, run on another, take a laptop travelling, etc.. You're not allowed to use this key at the same time or allow others to use it.