PDA

View Full Version : Question about combat tracker time for lasting effects.

rob2e
January 14th, 2017, 08:18
This hasn't come up till now, but if I have an effect in the CT that I want to last 7 days, will the CT know to wait 7 long rests to remove it? I'm almost sure that's NOT how it works, so the question is, how do we do that?

Nickademus
January 14th, 2017, 08:59
There is a cap on what the CT will recognize. I believe it is 24 hours.

rob2e
January 14th, 2017, 09:20
There is a cap on what the CT will recognize. I believe it is 24 hours.

Boo! Wish list...

Zacchaeus
January 14th, 2017, 09:25
It's a lot less than 24 hours :)

Unless you put the time in rounds or minutes FG won't do anything with a value of 1 hour or more.

rob2e
January 14th, 2017, 09:26
It's a lot less than 24 hours :)

Unless you put the time in rounds or minutes FG won't do anything with a value of 1 hour or more.

I wish listed it.

Zacchaeus
January 14th, 2017, 10:03
I wish listed it.

Can't see it happening to be honest.

The only way FG can count things down at the moment is in terms of rounds on the CT. So, you can do what you want right now but you'd need to convert the 7 days into rounds and then click through the CT until it was exhausted - which might very well take you 7 actual days to do :)

Once you depart from rounds then FG can't tell the time. How would you be able to have FG tell the time over sessions or during the story telling process? FG can't know that you've just spent two days traveling from A to B and it took 3 seconds of real time to do. So I think that any kind of long term spell (or any other) effect will have to continue to be dealt with manually. The only possibility might be if the game time was tied into the calendar somehow and then that was tied into the PC sheet. Introducing a can of worms though I suspect.

Nickademus
January 14th, 2017, 10:43
Too much logic. Bad Zacc.

Shouldn't be using effects for such long things anyway. Modify the character sheet or make a note on the calendar for the expiration.

Moon Wizard
January 15th, 2017, 02:48
Or add an effect with no expiration, and add a note to the effect for the day it should expire.

Cheers,
JPG