PDA

View Full Version : Saving Foes on Map

Trancekat
January 13th, 2017, 18:32
Howdy All,

I have been DMing SKT and ran into an bothersome issue. At the end of our last session, I added in a couple of maps that are not in the adventure and pulled a couple of encounters up. Added the encounter to the combat tracker, and then pulled the foes from the combat tracker to a map I added.

I did a /save and exited out of FG.

I pulled up FG today and everything was reset (not sure if things are supposed to be the same as when I exited the application or not), so I moved all the windows I needed around and opened up the windows I had open the previous session. The encounter I had added to the map was reset. None of the foes were placed on the map. Is this supposed to be the case? do I have to redo things everytime I pull them up or is there a way to save the placement of foes to a map, please?

Thank you.

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2017, 19:02
Instead of adding to the CT and then the map (IF and ONLY IF you want to use their placement later), what you need to do in order to save their location for future use is this;
- Create a new Encounter, name it
- From the Encounter token instance (little circles under the NPC), drag to your new map
- then when you want to use this, use the arrow on the encounter to add to the CT, this will also add them to the map

FYI, if you had left the NPCs on the CT, then they would have stayed on the map. By removing them from the CT, you erased their map placement.

Trancekat
January 13th, 2017, 19:11
Fantastic! Thank you!

Is there a way to save all the open windows/placement of windows in a campaign by any chance?

Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
January 13th, 2017, 19:20
FG doesn't save the open windows but does save the position of the windows that were open; so that next time you open that window it should open in the same place.

Nickademus
January 13th, 2017, 20:22
Just to point out, there are a couple windows that this is not true for. So if you are testing what Zacc says and find the window snap back to the center, it is probably one of the rare ones. Try a different one.

Also, the placement of windows are saved in the windowstate.xml file in the campaign folder. If you want to duplicate the window positions in a new campaign, simple copy this file over from a campaign where you have already placed the windows where you want.

Moon Wizard
January 13th, 2017, 22:49
The windows that do not save placement are:
Character Selection
Dialogs
Export
Manual Rolls
Options

All other windows should save position information between open and close.

Cheers,
JPG

Hector Trelane
January 15th, 2017, 11:18
The windows that do not save placement are:
Character Selection
Dialogs
Export
Manual Rolls
Options

Why is this, btw?

Nickademus
January 15th, 2017, 18:44
Character Selection

This is what I was referring to. It is the first large sidebar button for most people and so might be the first that is tested. Didn't want the character selection to mislead people.

Moon Wizard
January 16th, 2017, 03:51
Hector,

I did this on purpose, in order to ensure that these particular windows always appear in the middle of the screen and not lost on the edges or off screen.

Regards,
JPG