PDA

View Full Version : Castles and Crusades (run by a completely new player)

JC the Roleslayer
January 13th, 2017, 16:48
I need some tips to run a C&C game

vodokar
January 13th, 2017, 17:56
Hi. This is where I would start. DMing can seem daunting at first. It is an acquired skill; one that grows by doing.

First, read the Keepers Guide.
2nd, start with the introductory adventure.
Don't try to build a world.
Just start out from the town, keep or starting point in that starting adventure and just explore a little bit out from there with other published modules and/or your own stuff.
Be as prepared as possible before the game starts.
Keep things moving. If you don't know the answer to something, wing it during the game and then look it up later. Players understand if the DM comes back and says, you know that thing where you fell and only took 2d6 damage, it says here it was supposed to be 4d6. Guess you got lucky. They don't appreciate if the DM takes 20 min to look up a rule. So, do what sounds good and then proceed from there.

Kiqjaq
January 13th, 2017, 19:08
nvm

Talyn
January 13th, 2017, 21:06
The basic info you need to play and run the game is all in the PHB. Get familiar with the rules and the SIEGE mechanic, which is actually pretty simple and those checks should be more or less automated in Fantasy Grounds as long as the Primary abilities are set on the character/NPC. If you're running a pre-built adventure read it a few times. They're written in a style that intentionally mimics the old D&D and 1E/2E AD&D modules from the 80's which don't exactly read like something we'd expect today. Expect a crap-ton of typos and continuity errors (except (hopefully!) in my conversions because I did my own copy-editing) because Troll Lords seriously needs to hire a competent copy editor. Other than that, just have fun and tell your players you're new and to go easy on you so you can learn.

damned
January 14th, 2017, 23:42
Yeah skip the CKG - it wasnt released until CnC was in its 4th or 5th printing :)
Just start with the PHB.

JohnD
January 15th, 2017, 00:52
PHB gives you everything you need to play/CK an adventure. Start with something already put together - this will let you focus on running the game as presented instead of trying to be three steps ahead of the players.

Learn and understand the SEIGE mechanic; it it central to pretty well everything you do in C&C.