PDA

View Full Version : Final 2016 Stats for review

ddavison
January 13th, 2017, 16:44
I just sent this over to Russ at ENWorld and he posted it there.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3779-Who-s-Playing-What-On-Fantasy-Grounds-Final-Stats-For-2016!

It shows a general upward trend of games being played, but still lots of room for growth with some of the other rulesets. I did the best I could to collapse similar rulesets, but I'm sure there could be some missing out. For instance, I left Star Wars d6, Star Wars EotE and Star Wars Saga all as separate entries, collapsed a bunch of variants of WFRPG into one, SavageWorlds 3 & 4 into one, etc.

Answulf
January 13th, 2017, 16:46
Wow, great stuff! We really appreciate you sharing this with us!

Am I reading that right that there has been about 400% growth for Fantasy Grounds since 5E came out? That is fantastic!

ddavison
January 13th, 2017, 17:19
Yes, it's been a big boost for us. Similarly, it has allowed us to grow from just 2 people to 5 now -- or 4.5 full-time people.

Asterionaisien
January 13th, 2017, 17:56
Keep up the great work!

Mortar
January 13th, 2017, 18:14
Doug, do you have the stats for 2015? Be interesting to see a comparison.

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2017, 18:56
Anyone have links to prior year stats? I couldn't find them. Would be very interesting to see year over year.

Bidmaron
January 13th, 2017, 19:31
Well, we all succeed when SW succeeds, do congratulations!

vodokar
January 13th, 2017, 20:11
The section for "older D&D" was obscured. Be interested in seeing that number.

Congrats on growth of the company. That's good for everyone.

Also good to see that 5e is going strong vs. Pathfinder and also that even though clearly 5e has the most play, that other rulesets are getting used.

ddavison
January 13th, 2017, 20:17
Here is the 2015 version
https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3134-Which-Games-Were-Most-Played-On-FANTASY-GROUNDS-In-2015-(Hint-D-D!)#comments

Answulf
January 13th, 2017, 20:36
The section for "older D&D" was obscured. Be interested in seeing that number.

Congrats on growth of the company. That's good for everyone.

Also good to see that 5e is going strong vs. Pathfinder and also that even though clearly 5e has the most play, that other rulesets are getting used.

My thought as well - like Castles and Crusades, with 220 games a month! That's impressive.

Black Hammer
January 13th, 2017, 20:45
Gumshoe doesn't even make it onto the chart. Guess I need to run more of it.

Mortar
January 13th, 2017, 21:03
Another question for you Doug, any chance you can set up a single graph comparing year to year? (I know...I.m a PITA)

ddavison
January 13th, 2017, 21:26
Another question for you Doug, any chance you can set up a single graph comparing year to year? (I know...I.m a PITA)

Not in the short term. I was working on these while I was waiting for some files from publishers and actually put these together several days ago. The files have arrived, so I'm busy working on converting them and haven't come up for air much in the last few days as a result. I need to crank through as much as I can before family arrives next week and guilts me into stepping away from my computer for a moment or two. :)

Nylanfs
January 13th, 2017, 21:29
It will be interesting to see if Pathfinder gets a boost with the new license.

JohnD
January 13th, 2017, 21:30
My thought as well - like Castles and Crusades, with 220 games a month! That's impressive.

Especially when TLG does absolutely nothing to help promote FG among their online presence/forums/etc.... Poor form IMO but nobody's interested in that.

Talyn
January 13th, 2017, 21:49
Especially when TLG does absolutely nothing to help promote FG among their online presence/forums/etc.... Poor form IMO but nobody's interested in that.

When I talk (email) to some of the guys at TLG every single one of them says they want to build their audience here. I'm just not sure they even know how to go about doing it on an online arena; they're so ingrained with the 80's writing style that "online" appears to be an issue. =) And I only mean that with love! :p

leozelig
January 13th, 2017, 22:53
When I talk (email) to some of the guys at TLG every single one of them says they want to build their audience here. I'm just not sure they even know how to go about doing it on an online arena; they're so ingrained with the 80's writing style that "online" appears to be an issue. =) And I only mean that with love! :p

That's better than Goodman Games - they seem to be only interested in promoting live games of DCC RPG...

Seya
January 13th, 2017, 23:53
Nice to see so many games being played

Nylanfs
January 14th, 2017, 00:42
Doug, I'm curious is the approximate amount of licenses went up with the increase in games. Ie is it the same number of games per users or are users playing more games?

damned
January 14th, 2017, 00:53
Doug, I'm curious is the approximate amount of licenses went up with the increase in games. Ie is it the same number of games per users or are users playing more games?

Now that would be revealing too much info... That would be fairly sensitive data I imagine.

Mortar
January 14th, 2017, 00:57
Now that would be revealing too much info... That would be fairly sensitive data I imagine.

SW could prolly get away with saying they have had an x% increase in licences.

LindseyFan
January 14th, 2017, 01:13
I need to crank through as much as I can before family arrives next week and guilts me into stepping away from my computer for a moment or two. :)
You could always counter-guilt... that literally tens of thousands of people count on you for the one thing in their lives that makes them happy. That both grown and young alike, have a simple spark of hope that JPG + staff provides them in this dreary world. To even depart your keyboard for a moment sends people weeping in despair until they once again hear the soothing clatter of your keys.

Nylanfs
January 14th, 2017, 01:26
SW could prolly get away with saying they have had an x% increase in licences.

Thats kind of what I'm looking for. Total games went up X% licenses went up X% from 2015.

LordEntrails
January 14th, 2017, 02:11
You could always counter-guilt... that literally tens of thousands of people count on you for the one thing in their lives that makes them happy. That both grown and young alike, have a simple spark of hope that JPG + staff provides them in this dreary world. To even depart your keyboard for a moment sends people weeping in despair until they once again hear the soothing clatter of your keys.
Wow!
I always knew you were insightful. But now I can add emotionally manipulative as well! *g*

I'm starting to feel sorry for your significant other *G*
You crack me up girl!

ddavison
January 14th, 2017, 02:24
Too funny

LordEntrails
January 14th, 2017, 02:34
Back to the stats, a couple of real rough comparison of 2015 vs 2016

Total games
2015 ~290,000
2016 ~440,000
>> ~51% increase in total # games

87% increase in 5E games
16% increase in Pathfinder
64% increase in Savage Worlds
8% decrease in 3.5
30% decrease in 4E

LindseyFan
January 14th, 2017, 04:57
Wow!
I always knew you were insightful. But now I can add emotionally manipulative as well! *g*

It's how I get my FG loot fix!

I'm starting to feel sorry for your significant other *G*

I'm going easy on him.. until the PFRPG stuff comes out!

Black Hammer
January 14th, 2017, 17:11

Yay, something that isn't (always) generic fantasy becoming more popular!

Mortar
January 14th, 2017, 18:54
Back to the stats, a couple of real rough comparison of 2015 vs 2016

Total games
2015 ~290,000
2016 ~440,000
>> ~51% increase in total # games

87% increase in 5E games
16% increase in Pathfinder
8% decrease in 3.5
30% decrease in 4E

Those are some pretty big changes overall.

I'm going easy on him.. until the PFRPG stuff comes out!

Speaking as somebody who has been married for just shy of 22 years......I very much doubt that :p